Do you miss the old rivalries?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Do you miss the old rivalries?

Post by crusto » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:22 pm

I know people do their damnedest to keep them alive on here :wink: . But back then we had the 8 bit wars, the Atari/commodore 16 bit tussle and then the Sega and Nintendo battle royale with the consoles. I really miss it tbh, back then when a game came out, you knew one machine was going to be home to the definitive version of it. You really had to think long and hard before you bought (or asked mom and dad to buy) your dream machine. It's a lot more cut and dried now, with the capabilities of the machines being so similar, it just depends on what exclusives you like.

I think when Sega bowed out a bit of the old magic was lost and the sheer might of Sony and Microsoft means a constant struggle for Nintendo to punch in their division, rather than go toe to toe they try to cater for a different market.

I don't know what I'm getting at really, just waffling :lol:

Eat your nans pants

Montytom

Re: Do you miss the old rivalries?

Post by Montytom » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:46 am

I think that you are correct the magic was lost.i also think that when sega bowed out we lost something.also another thing is most games are cross platform and now there are only a couple of exclusives and even the same named games were different bavk in the day

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:02 am

No as I never indulged in such petty fripperies. ;)
Hard to deny they were exciting times though, intense competition pushing companies to new and incredible heights. I like how you can see an individual stamp on the games for particularly 80s and 90s machines, for better or worse you can tell C64/Speccy/CPC or NES/SMS or MD/SNES or PS1/Saturn/N64 titles at a glimpse - try that with PS3/360 and you'll just strain your eyes and ears.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:29 am

I think that the idea has tempered because more people have multiple consoles. A Wii and a PS360 will see all your bases covered.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:07 am

Comode 64 is gAIDS! and always will be! I will always aim to destroy all that is Comode!

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills,
we shall never surrender!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:33 am

I think the problem is most third party developers have realized you can get more income by not making your game exclusive to one system and releasing it on all/or 360/PS3/PC. I eecall seeing an interview once by Epic Games the guys who did Gears Of War, and they regretted making it an exclusive for 360 and said they should have made it cross platform and got more money.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:42 am

I would usually adopt a 360 vs. PS£ policy too but as the above post says, it's all gone stale with Sony losing the big exclusives like Resi :( So it's sort of like fighting a Vulcan bomber (360) with a 3 legged stoat (PS£)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:09 am

Liamh1982 wrote:I like how you can see an individual stamp on the games for particularly 80s and 90s machines, for better or worse you can tell C64/Speccy/CPC or NES/SMS or MD/SNES or PS1/Saturn/N64 titles at a glimpse - try that with PS3/360 and you'll just strain your eyes and ears.
That's the thing I miss mostly... As for the rivalries, my primary school was near-exclusively a Sega bunch, so the only rivalry arguments were about who was best out of Sonic or Knuckles!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 am

You mean they ended! :shock:

:mrgreen:

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:47 am

I never really understood the console rivalries, really. The way I personally see it, every console, as long as it's not something like, say, the Nuon (I WOULD have said Jaguar, honestly, but I know we've got a few fans of that around here) are all equally good in their own ways. Sure, the SNES may have Mode 7 and a lot of really good exclusives, including JRPGs if those are your thing, but the Genesis was generally faster and was good for fast-paced action games.

Then again, I think I was really getting into gaming right around when Sega was dying off, so I guess I ended up missing something.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:46 am

If I were working in a game shop right now, and a customer asked me whether or not they should get a PS3 or an Xbox 360, I'd tell them to flip a coin - there is censored all difference between the two of them in all honesty. A few exclusives here and there, but its nothing like the old days. Sony cannot affors to buy up exclusives, and Microsoft doesn't care. The only real difference between the two of them is the Blu-ray playback on PS3, and the fact that there is a slightly better range of downloadable titles on the Xbox.

Wii sells itself to the party / casual / hardcore Ninty crowd so it doesn't really compete.

The handheld market is a little flat at the minute, but I guess there is some meaningful competition between Vita and 3DS.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:51 am

Evermore wrote:The handheld market is a little flat at the minute, but I guess there is some meaningful competition between Vita and 3DS.
Yep, hardly anyone buys iPhone, iPod touch and Android smartphones these days and plays games on them. :shock: :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:23 am

Evermore wrote:If I were working in a game shop right now, and a customer asked me whether or not they should get a PS3 or an Xbox 360, I'd tell them to flip a coin - there is censored all difference between the two of them in all honesty
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:29 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Evermore wrote:The handheld market is a little flat at the minute, but I guess there is some meaningful competition between Vita and 3DS.
Yep, hardly anyone buys iPhone, iPod touch and Android smartphones these days and plays games on them. :shock: :lol:
Shush you, everyone knows ios & Android are not proper gaming platforms.

The fact that they can emulate pretty much everything up to a PS1 & some machines beyond, can be paired with devices for tactile controls, have vast market share and can be played on 10" tablets if so desired isn't enough for them to be considered REAL games machines for the hardcore mature big growdey up gamers. :wink:
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:31 am

the_hawk wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
Shush you, everyone knows ios & Android are not proper gaming platforms.

The fact that they can emulate pretty much everything up to a PS1 & some machines beyond, can be paired with devices for tactile controls, have vast market share and can be played on 10" tablets if so desired isn't enough for them to be considered REAL games machines for the hardcore mature big growdey up gamers. :wink:
Indeed! Never let the facts get in the way of a 'debate'! :lol:
koopa42 wrote:
Evermore wrote:If I were working in a game shop right now, and a customer asked me whether or not they should get a PS3 or an Xbox 360, I'd tell them to flip a coin - there is censored all difference between the two of them in all honesty
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Careful, koopa42. One of the usual suspects will report you to the moderators! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac