Are you a backseat gamer?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

are you a backseat gamer?

yes
57%
no
43%

Total votes: 21

Hitman_HalStep

Are you a backseat gamer?

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:54 pm

i am!
i was visiting my brother yesterday and watching him play skyrim and bodycount i was constantly pointing things out,he doesn't complain i noticed it myself.i consciously tried to stop but in a matter of seconds i found myself doing it again.

it can be helpful if i see something missed but i expect it's more annoying than anything else.
anyone else?
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Are you a backseat gamer?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Used to be - when one of my flatmates was playing Zoo Keeper. I'd keep pointing at the screen and saying "There's two there!" and she'd eventually scream "I KNOW!!!!" and then I had to leave the room.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

tux

Post by tux » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:06 am

yes,to the point where people refuse to play certain games with me :lol: . If you are at my place and ive bothered to set two steering wheels and pedals up on my 360...dont you dare use anything but the in car view!! Im not having the "realism" ruined because you find it easier to tell where you on on the "road" using the chase cam. It looks crap and it ruins the game.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:51 am

Absolutely. Can't help myself.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:47 am

You aren't a true gamer if you aren't are you ?

Seriously tho yes i'm terrible, I am shocking with my seven year old when he's playing FiFa the best thing is i'm pants at it, I even try and tell people how to play bandits in pubs.
"Time fades even legend..."

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 am

Yeah, I think it's hard not to be at times. You're in a room with a console and the inevitable "get the thing, no stop him, shoot at that one, now go for i.... ohhhh. Back we go. Now this time go for that before THAT and you're fine". Even if it's a game that you're not actually any good up gamers instinct takes over and you're barking out what you would do. Find it so hard to keep quiet when watching someone. Other half loathes games and she's started to develop it while watching certain games...

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:17 pm

posting in the gran turismo thread reminded me that when i was playing it with my step-dad i was told to tell him what corners were coming up because he couldn't remember the tracks,i even had to tell him where to brake on certain corners.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Don't even try and play Tetris if I'm in the room...
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:23 pm

I also am terrible at this...mostly because my other half is terrible at noticing things. "Where's the handle?" "Errr just to your right darling" "How was I supposed to see that?" "Well I saw it when you moved by it about 5 seconds ago"......terrible observational skills.

Sometimes though I CAN let her get on with it but if it's obvious stuff I get SO ANNOYED! I despise people not noticing things RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR FACE!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:29 pm

I used to be the opposite of this. Secretly laughing like an evil genius inside everytime my brother(s) missed a chest or a hidden weapon in whatever RPG they happend to be playing. We all tend to play different stuff now so its hard to offer one another advice.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:52 pm

^yes i tend to comment on how terrible the games are my brother plays!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Sometimes. But sometimes watching someone else play the game can be almost as much fun as playing it yourself. I use to play lots of games with my ex and just watched her play* until she got stuck at which point I would take over. Sometimes it would be an hour or so just watching and pointing out things.

*yes I know this could be construed as rude, but come on!

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:26 pm

God yes, whether it be my beautiful wife, or 6 year old daughter, I have to comment on their gaming! I just cant stop myself

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:59 pm

"YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!" :lol:

Mostly I've come out of that attitude, but once in a while it'll flare up again.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Have just asked the fiancee and she says she is, if she's paying attention (hence the comment about observational skills above ;) )

PSN username - MartinPhantom