Appalling games you enjoy.....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shiftytigger

Re: Appaling games you enjoy.....

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:03 am

Super Runabout on DC.

Such potential , marred by everything about itself. Yet I find myself playing it quite regularly - partly because I just want to get all the vehicles unlocked.Partly because I relish the challenge of the shoddy handling and trying desperately to finish a 'mission'.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:40 am

i moderatley enjoyed the matrix path of neo
even though it looks like a gussied up ps1 game with dodgy hit detection the controls were the worst and i had to remap them
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:11 pm

Ooh, I forgot about River Rescue on the Spectrum. It's a side scrolling shooter (of sorts) with ropey graphics, awful sound and no real point whatsoever. It's also a lot more fun than it has any right being.

And one of the other threads reminded me that I actually quite enjoyed Oh Mummy, too. :shock:

I think I'm going to seek psychological help. :?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Just remembered Onside Soccer for the PS1 - its sub-sub-sub-SWOS manager mode with bizarre player ratings (John Hendrie was one of the best players in the game) and sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-Striker player mode where it was better to use the pass button to shoot and vice versa, where even on Very Hard opposition defenders would just stand aside, where I once scored a free kick FACING THE WRONG WAY, where I scored eight in a match with my goalie.

It was all kinds of hideous - looked scruffy even in '96 and the commentary will have you begging for the "good old days" of Terry Butcher in ISS 2000.

Yet I played one game for six straight seasons!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:45 pm

I loved Count Duckula on the Amstrad, it's got terrible graphics and no sound but it was one of the first games I could actually complete without cheats, so it holds a special place in my heart. Not even my love for it could make me feel kindly to the abomination of a sequel they produced though...

ninty

Re: Appalling games you enjoy.....

Post by ninty » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Anything on the Jaguar ! :lol:

Okay maybe not all of them.

Aero Gauge on the n64 for me.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:Ooh, I forgot about River Rescue on the Spectrum. It's a side scrolling shooter (of sorts) with ropey graphics, awful sound and no real point whatsoever. It's also a lot more fun than it has any right being.

And one of the other threads reminded me that I actually quite enjoyed Oh Mummy, too. :shock:

I think I'm going to seek psychological help. :?
I love River Rescue! And the point is to rescue the scientists right? It has a great risk/reward mechanic. I think it's based on an atari 8-bit game.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:16 pm

I love the 2 Nightbreed games on the Amiga, even though they were terrible!

Pitfighter on the Amiga is a good shout too!

2020 Super Baseball on the SNES as well. I was addicted to that game as a teen! Loved my import!

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:25 pm

roland in the caves. I think it must be the soundtrack of la cucaracha.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:58 am

I liked Army Men on the PS1. I think one review gave it something like 9%!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:53 am

Turbo Out Run on the Amiga is crap (road scrolling, collision detection, soundtrack... :x ), but I come back to it from time to time... I'm just too much a racers-from-the-80s fan, probably :roll:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:16 am

greenberet79 wrote:I liked Army Men on the PS1. I think one review gave it something like 9%!
I actually quite enjoyed the first one too. Its not brilliant but it is a fun blast for a while. I'd rather play it than Medal of Honor etc.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:46 am

shiftytigger wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:I liked Army Men on the PS1. I think one review gave it something like 9%!
I actually quite enjoyed the first one too. Its not brilliant but it is a fun blast for a while. I'd rather play it than Medal of Honor etc.
It was a fun 2 player!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:51 am

shiftytigger wrote:
Now that's a flashback! I remember my friend and I playing all the army men games on PS1 to death when we were kids. Loved them the bits, even though they were all horrendous

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Even awful games can be fun in 2 player mode - usually more so if youre a bit drunk or prone to garnering enjoyment from pretty much anything. Fur Fighters on DC was by no means awful but my brother and I played it for nearly 24 hours on the trot. Ahh the old days , making the best of what you had.