Appalling games you enjoy.....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

tux

Appalling games you enjoy.....

Post by tux » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Anyone else have appaling games with almost no decent features that for some strange reason draws you back to playing them year after year? This isnt a "that game is under-rated thread", its for those games you know you cant possibly defend but you cant help but enjoy!
For me its Pit-fighter on Amiga*. The game doesnt seem to have sprite detection. Moves jerk and fire off randomly, you can keep using one move to beat the entire game but something about it i actively enjoy! I dig it out all the time and im still unsure why!
Anyone else, or am i just ill?

*This only applies to the Amiga version, i personally found the other home version made me want to blow my own head off.

Evermore

Re: Appaling games you enjoy.....

Post by Evermore » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:50 pm

Art of Fighting 1 is rubbish, but I adore it like you wouldn't believe. I love the graphics, atmosphere and sound effects. The characters are brilliant and its just great fun.

But its got a rubbish control system, only two playable characters in single-player, both who play near identically, its brutally difficult and the gameplay is sluggish. But.....

I can't get enough of it :mrgreen:

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:51 pm

I keep going back to Ninja Scooter Simulator on the Speccy, and that really doesn't have any redeeming features. In fact, I played it so much last year I was able to completely beat it and I still get the desire to play it from time to time.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Puma Street Soccer on the PS1, crap controls and crap gameplay, but I like it :mrgreen:

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:03 pm

Back To The Future III and Bart Vs The Space Mutants on the Master System.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Checkered Flag on the Jaguar. The controls suck so badly it defies all belief but for some reason I still play it from time to time, I even won a high score competition on it on Atari Age once :lol:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:42 pm

There is not enough internet to list the horrendous games I love.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Pele Soccer on the MD just bad but addictive
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Street Fighter. It's not a good game at all, it's universally accepted as being crap but I love it. I love the graphics, the characters, the feeling of satisfaction when you manage to actually pull off those almost impossible special moves. It's a great bad game!

Every now and again I think I actually like the original Mortal Kombat. After about 30 seconds of play though I remember just how pants it really is.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:32 pm

I recall having a guilty pleasure for liking Street Soccer by Codemasters for the Speccy back in the day. I kinda knew it was mediocre at best but it held a certain charm for me for reasons I was never quite certain of! :shock: :lol:

Link - http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0017306
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

van

Post by van » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:37 am

Addams Family for the turbo CD.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:54 am

Grid Run on the Saturn - kind of Pac-Man meets Capture The Flag with awful graphics and confusing controls (I have to have the manual open to recall which button performs each bit of magic). CVG in particular tore this game to shreds but for some incomprehensible reason I keep playing it.

Supernaut

Post by Supernaut » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:25 am

Chakan on the Mega Drive. The controls are awful and it is brutally hard (its meant to literally be impossible to finish as the boss kills you far too easily) with no password or save system.

But something about the graphics and atmosphere keep me coming back to have another go.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:38 am

Ballz - Megadrive
Volleyball - Master System

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:38 am

1. Jungle King. It's the bees knees of so bad it's goodness, I even wrote an article about it's awesomeness (available on Boyo's site via RetroRevival). Play that game NOW, it's epic good.

2. I new entry in the list but Great Swordsman came onto my list just a few months back when I stumbled upon it during a MAME run. It's so bad it's bad....but good.

3. Two Worlds. It's appaling, it really is BUT if you look past the choppiest frame rate in the history of gaming (you can use a code to sort it out) and learn to love the WORST voice acting in any game ever? It's a gem of a game hidden under a pile of poo. Buy it, it's the king. Aye. well met perhap.

4. Street Fighter The Movie. It's bad, it's pit fighter bad (pit fighter could also go on my list) but it just has something, probably the same something that makes the movie itself SO bad but on very rare occasions? watchable.

5. Lethal Enforcers. Dear god that game is bad...ANY version of it, you'd be more accurate if you through the gun at the screen BUT it's had that digitised censored that just keeps you wanting to shoot the bad guys in the face....if the game didn't act like you had tourettes.