how much do you spend

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Montytom

how much do you spend

Post by Montytom » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:42 pm

I havnt bought any games or gaming related items for ghe last couple of months as ive been skint.im thinking about putting aside £20 evwry payday to get some games with. I think that setting a low budget will make the task of getting games i want more fun. How much do you put aside or do you just buy when you see something?

The Laird

Re: how much do you spend

Post by The Laird » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:51 pm

I havn't bought any games in ages (except for a Jag homebrew) because I am skint but generally buy games when I want them or have the money. I have one rule though - I never spend more than £50 on a game.

ulala

Post by ulala » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:57 pm

I usualy do well with a few finds in charity shops and then exchange them for games I actually want to play on ebay.

I have had about £120 credit at gamestation for 6 months, just nothing new that takes my fancy (though i expect Fifa 13 will eat into that). As i get older i have found that i already now own the games im interested in - and you can only play so many.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:22 pm

I don't think I've ever spent more than £30 on a game in my life, and I doubt I ever will. Most of my games come from charity/second hand shops or (for current-gen stuff) when GAME/GS have a sale on, so in truth most of my games probably don't cost far north of a tenner.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:34 pm

Yep, I'm spending a lot less on games these days too.

Strangely, I'm not that bothered about getting too much stuff lately. Nintendo, Treasure, SNK and Sega, my favourite devs, aren't releasing much that appeals to me at the minute. No harm really, as I have a lot more important things to be buying and paying for at the minute.

In the past, there have always been games I really really wanted, but just couldn't afford. Then I got them, and it was onto the next aspiration. I suppose now that my collecting has slowed down a lot, I'm just playing away at whatever shows up cheap in the local charity shops, or occassionally at HMV, Tesco or Argos. I just buy whatever I can - I cannot afford to be making lists and rattling through them on eBay like I did in the good ole days.

I will get really important releases always - I will be there Day 1 for Halo 4 for example, but times change - as do priorities.

Lil Chillbil

Post by Lil Chillbil » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:09 pm

I spend $20 a week on games + I have a change jar that I empty every month to add to the budget which is around $10-15
pm me I'm always up for a multiplayer session for the following games
Gears of war 1 2 3
Call of duty 2 3 4
All of the halos
Call of duty modern warefare 2
Shadowrun

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:20 am

What killbot said except the most I ever spent on one game was £40.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:38 am

I rarely spend more than a tenner on one game... I hunt around for pre-owned deals... I've only ever twice made day of release purchases, BF3(360) and GTA Vice City (PS2).... Vice City was a big deal for me, I was going through my divorce and had been just been made redundant...!! That game had to last me!

I never seem to stumble on the "deals" some of you guys find, but the Game firesale has left me with an armful of PSP games to play - all have been in the machine, free have really been played.

The misses has been ill this year, so I tend to get a "new" PSP game each month to while away the eight hours in the day unit... and read RG, which tends to arrive at the right time for that.

I'd guess I spend £20 a month....some months... nothing for several if I'm saving for holidays, etc.

I'd love to know how these folk who buy tons of new releases manage it....but then maybe they don't have a mortgage and a daughter!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

tux

Post by tux » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:10 am

I dont have a limit, if its cheap and i even have a semi-interest in it, ill generally buy it. Buying a 200quid* item knowing its worth double on ebay takes all the risk away. I dont buy often this way, but when i do ill spend any amount in general.

*sorry about using the word "quid" but my pound key on my laptop has died!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:31 am

The Gamestation fire sale has left me with more games than I may ever play. In fact, I sold a few recently for a small profit. And i'm happy with my retro lot, and emulation.
Evermore wrote: I cannot afford to be making lists and rattling through them on eBay like I did in the good ole days.
Ha, same here. It was good - but to be honest, I remember earlier in the year one such ebay splurge. Don't think I've played any of the games I bought. It was more the thrill of the chase.

Emulation, emulation, emulation. That's the way it has to be now, and I'm content with that.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:13 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Evermore wrote: I cannot afford to be making lists and rattling through them on eBay like I did in the good ole days.
Ha, same here. It was good - but to be honest, I remember earlier in the year one such ebay splurge. Don't think I've played any of the games I bought. It was more the thrill of the chase.

Emulation, emulation, emulation. That's the way it has to be now, and I'm content with that.
I'm now reasonably happy to tip away buying cheap stuff from charity shops and playing the stuff I have. The odd big item every now and then too.

I suppose having less money for games makes me appreciate the ones I have more - I also play more games to completion now as well. Plus, it encourages me to play the older games in my collection a bit more.

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:15 pm

An interesting question in my case. I..... dont.... know..... what the answer is.

I mostly buy PC titles these days and iOS, and I admit I dont always actually bother to look at what the price is these days (or if I DO look, I dont actually CARE what it turns out to be).

But the number would be alot higher if I actually bought console titles, but recently.... no. Just PC and iOS.

ninty

Post by ninty » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:22 am

To much ! Damn minty snes games I buy ! Blimming cardboard box fetish I have ! :lol:

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:49 pm

I don't set aside anything if I see something I want if I can afford it I buy it, altho I do like to wheel and deal a bit so am about to put an Official Sony 7.1 wireless headset and a collection of ps3 games on fleabay to fund more gaming goodies.
The most I have ever paid for a game was a US import of SFII Turbo on Snes for £150 back in the day, I did pay £800 to import a day one Japanese Dreamcast with VF3TB and SEGA Rally.
Those days are long gone now tho, a wife mortgage, two young children and my passion for the mighty Spireites take up most of my money.
"Time fades even legend..."

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Usually no more than £5 or so but occasionally I'l pay more for the odd one. £40 usually tops, and that's very infrequently nowadays. PS2 and GCs have some very cheap games but the really iconic stuff is just starting to fetch proper money. Nowhere the crazy heights of Dreamcast, Saturn etc, though.