On-topic Kickstarters Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jcdentont1000

On-topic Kickstarters Thread

Post by jcdentont1000 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:34 am

Hello, sorry to be making yet another new thread :wink:

Inspired by finding out about the Sensible Software book through this very forum, I thought maybe in this thread we could share on-topic Kickstarters we feel are interesting/relevant/ZOMG MUST HAVE SWAG etc.

To get the ball rolling, this year, I are been mostly backing..

Sensible Software book http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dar ... nly-memory - $38 (the book option)

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165 ... e?ref=live - $15 (digital copy option)

I'd love to know what else people have been behind and what cool/rare stuff you've received/pledged towards!
XBox 360 Gamertag: jcdentont1000
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: TBC (Now, where did I leave my 3DS..)

"Trust no one. Question everything."

Morkin

Re: On-topic Kickstarters Thread

Post by Morkin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:23 am

I pledged/bought the Diamond Trust of London DS game which I received a few weeks ago. I was tempted by the Sensible Software book as I collect videgame books, but my money's going to be stretched this year as it is, so will have to wait next year to buy it.

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:30 am

I invested in the Sensible Software book (only to get the book, no higher). That's the only relevant kickstarter I've invested (other two is a film about Nigel McGuinness & one about Gingers)

Misery

Post by Misery » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:46 am

I did one for FTL, which I paid enough for to get me into the beta over the summer, and another one for Jetpack 2, which also got me into that one's beta before it fully opened up. That one in particular was exciting, as I used to play the original Jetpack all the time as a kid on some ancient PC or other. Brilliant game, and the level editor was great fun, I've always liked that sorta thing.

There's been a couple of other kickstarters (always gaming-related) but I cant recall what they were.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38 am

A couple of shmup related ones:

Redux Dark Matters

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/red ... -dreamcast

College Ruled Universe
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/107 ... d-universe

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:45 am

Tempted to start one for ComputerClub, because as it stands I think we need some new stuff and I dont have the money to buy such things. (stuff like pads, flash carts, console mods, "new" consoles, 4+ same spec laptops, some small LCD tvs).
Maybe £500 will sort it
Any left over to be spent on prizes and snacks for the evnets

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:00 am

I can't do Kickstarter stuff as I've no credit card. I did put some money in for IndieGame The Move, for which I've received 2 downloadable copies, Super Meat Boy for the PC and I'll be getting a copy of the film on blu ray when it's released and I've put some money in for some stuff on IndieGogo.
Splink!

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:13 am

I've backed a fair few games Kickstarters so far. I'll list them in order:

Double Fine Adventure - the one that started the ball rolling. I love Tim Schafer's work, this was easy to get behind.

Wasteland 2 - I loved the original Wasteland, and the Bard's Tale game. I figured Brian Fargo earned my support with those games and more, and anyway, I'm really excited by the possibility.

The Banner Saga - a story-driven, turn-based strategy game based on Viking culture, by three guys that worked on Star Wars: The Old Republic. Those words all ticked my boxes.

Shadowrun Returns - it's the return of Shadowrun. I liked Shadowrun. I think I'll like Shadowrun Returns.

Turrican Soundtrack Anthology - a three-CD boxed set of re-worked and re-recorded tunes from the Turrican series, by Chris Huelsbeck? Oh, go on, then.

Drifter: A Space Trading Game - the first truly indie game I backed, as an open world sandbox space trading game, Drifter had enough promise to hook me in. Besides, it was only $10 for a digital download, I figured I'd go for that.

Grim Dawn - Victorian era fantasy action role-playing from the lead gameplay designer of Titan Quest. I really liked Titan Quest, even if it was a bit hard for me. Grim Dawn promises to be similar but with an unusual setting - sounded good to me.

Pinball Arcade - The Twilight Zone - I love a bit of digital pinball, and I already own Pinball Arcade. Figured I might as well help them out with this.

Project Giana - lovely looking new Giana Sisters game. Couldn't say no.

Broken Sword - the Serpent's Curse - I own all the other Broken Sword games... I was never going to turn this one down.

Sensible Software 1986-1999 book - I'm very interested in this, I like Gary Penn's writing and the subject matter, so I'd like to be in on it from the start.

I also backed Wings: The Director's Cut from Cinemaware and an Indie Bundle, but they weren't successful.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:39 pm

I like, understand, and appreciate the idea of Kickstarter, but I have yet to contribute. I probably never will, either.

For me all I'm interested in is the finished product. I don't really care about all the hurdles and triumphs/setbacks the Studio has had to go through to bring the product to me, I just care about the end result - and whether it's worthy of my money.

Yes I'd definitely like certain projects to be "kickstarted" (Wheelman 2 for one! :lol: ) but I'm more than happy to play any of the hundreds of other titles coming out, or that are already out. Yes I'd like a Wheelman 2 and 3, and if it happens I'd probably buy them, but I'm not going to pay in advance for something that might not even happen. Or might be god-awful when it does.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:01 pm

Personally, I'm waiting for Project Giana to end up getting finished. That looks like a lot of fun, and we really need more 2D platformers that aren't those sort of bullshit one hit kill N/Meat Boy sorts of things. I was really hoping that Pro Pinball would end up getting funded, too, but sadly, it didn't. I blame Homestuck, personally.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:01 am

I've backed the OMFG minifigures, and got these in return:
Plus some stickers and a poster.

I've also backed The Crystal Catacombs - usually not into the whole "retro" "style" (as in, deliberately crap-looking), but the general game looks fun.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:23 am

Ok, now that I've heard big publishers are getting involved with (exploiting) Kickstarter I'm officially out.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Publis ... 47113.html
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:33 pm

Sorry for resurrecting this but here's a few things I've had from Indiegogo campaigns recently. 2 books from Don Rosa and a sketchbook from Steve Rude.
Splink!

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Freestyler wrote:I like, understand, and appreciate the idea of Kickstarter, but I have yet to contribute. I probably never will, either.

For me all I'm interested in is the finished product. I don't really care about all the hurdles and triumphs/setbacks the Studio has had to go through to bring the product to me, I just care about the end result - and whether it's worthy of my money.
Ditto to that, I've had money in past projects like the Pandora etc to know its more trouble than its worth, some Kickstarter projects are already being put back I.e Oculus Rift VR, I'd rather just wait until I can pay and get the item when it's out!