Borderlands 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

koopa42

Borderlands 2

Post by koopa42 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:55 am

Deserves it's own thread AND a link to our thread:

http://www.rp2mp.com/forums/5/959?start=60

There's a fair bit of interest in co-op on our forum if you are interested in joining up and sh1t

Early doors? This is what you want, it's everything Rage could have been and nearly as pretty (but not quite). I'd forgotten how lootness the game was! Ace. Big chunky space revolvers just do not get old. I'd also forgotten how much I'd like to shoot Claptrap in the face.

lanky316

Re: Borderlands 2

Post by lanky316 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:00 am

Early days but I'm enjoying it plenty, a few giggles, a few stupid moments and guns that become grenades when you're running low on ammo and need to reload. Going to take a while to understand the class changes but playing as a gunzerker at the moment. Will be especially interesting when dual wielding rocket launchers later on I think...

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:09 am

Yep, I decided against my usual snipy snipy or pick the bird sh1t and went with the tank.

I dunno what the golden keys are for yet but you can get an extra one by signing up the 'shift' gubbins.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:34 am

koopa42 wrote:I dunno what the golden keys are for yet but you can get an extra one by signing up the 'shift' gubbins.
The golden key is used to unlock a special weapon chest in Sanctuary
The chest is in the same building as the Fast Travel thing. Don't make the same mistake I did. I accidentally unlocked it early so the weapons in it were pish. Wait until you're a high level and then unlock it for better weapons.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:37 am

It looks like Asta the salmon made the same mistake :oops: good advice. Is it just me or does it look better than the original? It's strange that playing Rage kinda totally removed the original from my mind :? I've no idea why though, as Borderlands as a game is vastly superior

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:44 pm

want to get this but only so much i can play, will try and pick it up around Christmas, seems like there are loads of great games around at the moment.

Muralbat

Post by Muralbat » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:48 pm

koopa42 wrote:It looks like Asta the salmon made the same mistake :oops: good advice. Is it just me or does it look better than the original? It's strange that playing Rage kinda totally removed the original from my mind :? I've no idea why though, as Borderlands as a game is vastly superior
It looks amazing compared to the original, there's an extra skin if you have save data from the first borderlands on your PC so I reinstalled it last night and had to play through the first 10 minutes to get a save point. I couldn't believe the difference.
I'm a Portsmouth FC Fan. Please, go easy on me.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Yeah I got the Orc lookin' hat for my Tank :D

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:29 pm

mine arrived today finally,i haven't played the first so can't compare.i went for the sniper and so far so far i'm liking what i've tried.
The Beans wrote:
koopa42 wrote:I dunno what the golden keys are for yet but you can get an extra one by signing up the 'shift' gubbins.
The golden key is used to unlock a special weapon chest in Sanctuary
The chest is in the same building as the Fast Travel thing. Don't make the same mistake I did. I accidentally unlocked it early so the weapons in it were pish. Wait until you're a high level and then unlock it for better weapons.
i thought that was the case from what i read but it's good to get confirmation.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:41 pm

I never played the first game either so this game is wholly new to me too. Haven't played it all that much so far but the maxed out graphics sure look nice so far in the PC version. :D

I bought the game (which included some Premium Club, or whatever it's called, DLC) plus the Season DLC thingy for a reasonable discount (found on HotUKDeals.com) via GreenManGaming.com on Steam. Pre-installed it a few days ago and was able to start playing it as soon as it was unlocked not long after midnight on the morning of the 21st.

I'd read the first game on PC was derided by some for being a lazy PS360 port so it's great seeing how far they've gone to town in massively optimising the sequel on PC. Some of the video options really take advantage of a powerful gaming PC which I'm delighted with.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Lots of comedy to be had from the Goliath enemy. Got two of them levelled up and then watched them having a massive belly butting contest. The character dialogue was priceless, intentional or not.
Also funny is the lengths the Goliath will go to for a kill when the only enemy left is a flying bandit vehicle. A complete psycho of a character. Wish it was playable.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:53 pm

I had to turn it off earlier to avoid any 'fook off sh1t game' rage. Spent over an hour dying and looking for a bloody boss that kept disappearing but had the obligatory unlimited spwning enemies! I am enjoying it though. I can't remember being this sh1t at the original though. Tanks suck arse, I miss my sniping crap LOL.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:01 pm

koopa42 wrote:I had to turn it off earlier to avoid any 'fook off sh1t game' rage. Spent over an hour dying and looking for a bloody boss that kept disappearing but had the obligatory unlimited spwning enemies! I am enjoying it though. I can't remember being this sh1t at the original though. Tanks suck arse, I miss my sniping crap LOL.
Borderlands 2 has upped the difficulty compared to the first game. I'm level 16 and my deaths are definitely into double figures already. The game is also less generous with the loot. I think the developers have responded to criticisms about the first playthrough in the original game being too easy.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:11 pm

Thank god! I thought I was just getting sh1t! I have noticed about the loot but I'm more than happy with rare as rocking horse loot settings. I think this (so far 'cos it is early doors for me) is one of the first and best instances of a game being what you want it to be following an original. I'm also very very sorry but shooting mini migdet shotgunners DOES NOT get old....ever! I think the engine and mechanics are just perfect

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:28 pm

koopa42 wrote:Thank god! I thought I was just getting sh1t! I have noticed about the loot but I'm more than happy with rare as rocking horse loot settings. I think this (so far 'cos it is early doors for me) is one of the first and best instances of a game being what you want it to be following an original. I'm also very very sorry but shooting mini migdet shotgunners DOES NOT get old....ever! I think the engine and mechanics are just perfect
Yeah, it's more balanced this time I think. I've gone with the the Commando as my initial character and he's better to play than in the first game. The Commando's turret has some decent teeth this time around and I'm having to use it a lot more. In the first game it was just something I used to deploy when I wanted a bit of health. I hardly used it tbh. The stingy loot means it's a genuinely good feeling when you find something tremendous. There was much joy when I finally found a corrosive sniper. The fact it came with a massive and totally pointless silencer and has a bicycle wheel as part of its loading mechanism was just the icing on the cake. I'll never part with it. One for the shared character stash for sure.