Your 3 most prized retro gaming items....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Evermore

Re: Your 3 most prized retro gaming items....

Post by Evermore » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Mootown wrote:Mint condition in box with everything including battery, Squish Game and Watch from when I was about 6 years old.

Hyper Duel on jap Saturn

Signed Sega Rally and Sega Rally Plus by the creator, Tetsuya Mizuguchi when I met him in London a while back.
Was Hyper Duel worth the outlay? I was considering it before, but wasn't quite sure if it was worth it....

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Evermore wrote:
Mootown wrote:Mint condition in box with everything including battery, Squish Game and Watch from when I was about 6 years old.

Hyper Duel on jap Saturn

Signed Sega Rally and Sega Rally Plus by the creator, Tetsuya Mizuguchi when I met him in London a while back.
Was Hyper Duel worth the outlay? I was considering it before, but wasn't quite sure if it was worth it....
It was to me, I bought it about ten years ago when I HAD to have it because I love Tecnosoft and Thunderforce.
What's great about the Saturn version is it comes with 2 modes - the original arcade (which is ok, but you can emulate on Mame pretty easily) and then a fully remixed Saturn mode. This is completely redrawn graphics, a fully remixed and Thunderforced soundtrack (awesome synth-rock) and also you can 'lock' your aim, which you can't in the original arcade so the controls are actually better.

It's only worth paying loads if you REALLY REALLY want a shmup that's not best in class, but is definitely a great shooter and you absolutely want to play a version of Hyper Duel you can't get anywhere else.

Personally, I love it. But I'm really biased towards Tecnosoft and I adore the soundtrack.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Oh, just to be clear - it's not actually a Thunderforce game, it's just very much like one.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:12 pm

This is a hard one

1 - my modded original 160gig Xbox (it's stuffed to the hilt with Coin-ops 4, complete Neo Geo,Snes,Megadrice,PC Engine,Spectrum,C64,Amiga,Atari,Mame romsets

2 - My copy of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy from my childhood (put both here as I cant decide which one to list)

3 - My original Spectrum 48k which I added a reset switch to many moons ago

I don't own that much these days as most has been sold, having a wife and two young children with a severe lack of space kind of put a stop to my collecting, however saying that i have more or less decided today to sell my ps3 to fund getting back into collecting Saturn stuff again.
I also fancy collecting Crash magazine, I have a good collection already the other week I managed to get a full set from 1986 with official Crash binder for three quid from my local carboot.
"Time fades even legend..."

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:45 pm

1: My original A500 from 1987

2: The original hand drawn pencil art from the Kick Off 2 box :)

3: Spanish boxed Player Manager ( Amiga )

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:08 am

My choices are based on items which have significant value to me if not to anyone else! On the list would be:

1) My Munchman handheld game, these units were my first real experience of electronic gaming, and I have built an entire collection around these fantastic little machines.

2) My hand built MAME cabinet, which was a labour of love that took over 5 years to build. ThIs lets me play all my favourite arcade games, the way they were meant to be played, stood up and with a joystick.

http://www.retrogamesnow.co.uk/mame-cab ... ate-alive/

3) My Zelda : Link to the Past cart for the Super Nintendo. Quite a common one, but a very special game for me and my favourite of the series

Enjoying reading this thread, no 2 lists alike!
Click to follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/RetrogamesNow
My Retro Games Hubpage http://rolyretro/hubpages.com

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:36 am

koopa42 wrote:Street Fighter Alpha 2 - snes
Street Fighter 2 Experts guide book (I think it was done my mean machines)
I have both of these too, very nice items. The SF book was aces. Bought it new back in 1993 ish I think. Had a section for Super SFII in the back?

As for my own personal favourite items, I cannot really choose.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:05 am

nakamura wrote:
koopa42 wrote:Street Fighter Alpha 2 - snes
Street Fighter 2 Experts guide book (I think it was done my mean machines)
I have both of these too, very nice items. The SF book was aces. Bought it new back in 1993 ish I think. Had a section for Super SFII in the back?

As for my own personal favourite items, I cannot really choose.
Yeah I bought it and used it like a bible LOL then lost it :( but luckily Shmike popped up with one for sale a few years back! It's a great guide, probably the best available for early SFII games

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:16 am

Mine is a bit tatty now though which is a shame. Read it to death back in the day. Some of the combos were amazing, especially the Guile re-dizzy.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:54 am

My original Atari VCS
My original ZX Spectrum+
My modded Xbox

The first two have obvious sentimental value to myself, the VCS now being 32 years old and the Spectrum 29 years old.
Both, still working perfectly.

The Xbox because it gets a massive amount of playtime both with original titles and through emulation.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:03 am

- Sega 32X console (if only I still had the box)
- Knuckle's Chaotix on 32X (a rasre and quirky game)
- Pong: The Next level on PSX (the game that I play the most with friends, simply because of its Henhouse Surprise level)
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:35 am

nakamura wrote:Mine is a bit tatty now though which is a shame. Read it to death back in the day. Some of the combos were amazing, especially the Guile re-dizzy.
Ah the re-dizzie! Me and my mate spent HOURS on that maybe even days

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:56 am

- My modded Gamecube that has every gamecube game ever made for all regions.
- My signed Dreamcast Fleece from developers of Space Channel 5, that I won at a marketing event for Dreamcast in 2000

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:28 am

tux wrote:
Mayhem wrote: 3) GamesMaster golden joystick. Would be silly not to mention that ;)
How? why? and when? Sounds interesting.
I was on the GamesMaster show, and I won a challenge, and I got a joystick ;)

There used to be a great write-up on the show at NTSC-UK (now Bordersdown) but it hasn't been re-uploaded since the server move. I think the most notable point to make is that having spoken to a number of other people who appeared on the show as well, I wasn't supposed to have kept the joystick. Apparently it was meant to be for filming only, the contestants didn't actually walk away with it to keep. I suspect a combination of a very long day's filming and that my challenge was the last to be filmed that day meant it got overlooked. So I took it home :P
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:42 am

koopa42 wrote:
nakamura wrote:Mine is a bit tatty now though which is a shame. Read it to death back in the day. Some of the combos were amazing, especially the Guile re-dizzy.
Ah the re-dizzie! Me and my mate spent HOURS on that maybe even days
Oh man yeah same here. Was so difficult. Managed to nail it a couple of times but never in a real battle.