Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
ZeroCipher
Posts: 1186
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 9:44 am
Location: Back in Blighty
Contact:

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by ZeroCipher » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:48 pm

I'll be getting this, gotta wait for it to be delivered from the UK but it will be mine :D
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Image

User avatar
ChipTune
Posts: 2160
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by ChipTune » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Hell NO! Doom 3 is absolute F()CKING SH1T.

This game is an embarassment to the franchise and can censored off.
Image

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:04 am

I got Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil (Xbox) from Cex a little while ago and traded it back in a couple of days later. It's just so boring.
Though, if you're gonna talk about evil 'n' what not then it has to be hell. Not, I dunno, some military conspiracy or some such. Go straighht to the source!

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:51 am

Is this still accurate?

Image
Image

User avatar
PaulEMoz
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:11 pm
Location: Co. Durham
Contact:

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by PaulEMoz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:32 am

I've never been that big an FPS fan, because I'm rubbish at them. But I thought I'd give this a punt... I had it on the PC, but my PC wasn't really capable of running it properly. I have to say I'm really enjoying it.

User avatar
Freestyler
Posts: 4150
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by Freestyler » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:29 pm

My issue with Doom 3 was the gameplay.

Walk into room.
See dead body on floor.
Shoot dead body on floor (or it'd get up when you walked past it.)
Enter room.
Go to other door/crate/box/locker.
Monster spawns in directly behind you.
Shoot it.
Go to next room.
See dead body on floor.

id are masters at creating multiplayer engines. Their singleplayer games however, tend to suck balls.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:34 am

Freestyler wrote:My issue with Doom 3 was the gameplay.

Walk into room.
See dead body on floor.
Shoot dead body on floor (or it'd get up when you walked past it.)
Enter room.
Go to other door/crate/box/locker.
Monster spawns in directly behind you.
Shoot it.
Go to next room.
See dead body on floor.

id are masters at creating multiplayer engines. Their singleplayer games however, tend to suck balls.
I've always felt Doom 3 was more of a tech and art demo than a proper game. Quake 2 managed to both look awesome and play awesome in it's day, ofcourse.....

User avatar
MattyC64c
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:21 am

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:43 am

CIH wrote:I've always felt Doom 3 was more of a tech and art demo than a proper game. Quake 2 managed to both look awesome and play awesome in it's day, ofcourse.....
I agree, although I did enjoy Doom 3. I recall at the time needing to upgrade my PCs graphics card to some huge AMD beast that cost me £280, just to get that game running at it's best. That graphics card was a total waste of money too. Literally 12 months later it was burning itself out and was replaced by an Nvidia based card.

I was tempted yesterday to buy, but I'm not sure. I've still got Doom 3 PC sitting in my games drawer.

kiwimike
Posts: 3657
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by kiwimike » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:19 pm

I enjoyed Doom 3 on Xbox, but struggled with it, was pretty crap at it and it's one of the FPS that made me feel a little motion sick. Some do. Didn't stop me playing it though! :lol: BUT I especially liked the Classic Dooms included.

I will get this one, but when the price drops. Was looking at it in a store yesterday, pleased it has Doom & Doom 2 included, as selling the xbox months ago I don't have classic Dooms (But of course you can just go and get them dirt cheap on their own Lol).

What would make me consider this set straight away...is if the classic Dooms included were beefed up graphically. So same simplistic, mega fun gameplay (the way real Doom should be!!!!) but with enhanced visuals.

GunstarHero
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by GunstarHero » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:00 am

If you don't have it already and fancy a atmospheric fps then I recommend Metro 2033. Lot more fun than Doom 3 IMO.

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:19 am

GunstarHero wrote:If you don't have it already and fancy a atmospheric fps then I recommend Metro 2033. Lot more fun than Doom 3 IMO.
Metro 2033 - now THERE is a game with some seriously impressive graphics. One needs a kickass gaming PC to enjoy the game to its full potential. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

GunstarHero
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by GunstarHero » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:05 am

Lukily I run it quite well with my gtx 670 :) Heard the console versions aren't so good though.

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:36 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
GunstarHero wrote:If you don't have it already and fancy a atmospheric fps then I recommend Metro 2033. Lot more fun than Doom 3 IMO.
Metro 2033 - now THERE is a game with some seriously impressive graphics. One needs a kickass gaming PC to enjoy the game to its full potential. :D
Or an Xbox 360 ?

User avatar
Freestyler
Posts: 4150
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by Freestyler » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:06 pm

CIH wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
GunstarHero wrote:If you don't have it already and fancy a atmospheric fps then I recommend Metro 2033. Lot more fun than Doom 3 IMO.
Metro 2033 - now THERE is a game with some seriously impressive graphics. One needs a kickass gaming PC to enjoy the game to its full potential. :D
Or an Xbox 360 ?
The current consoles are showing their age now. It's difficult to notice (I played Sleeping Dogs on Xbox and it was FANTASTIC) but in side-by-side comparisons it's glaringly obvious. Do a Youtube on "PC vs Xbox 360" and sit with your jaw dropping! :lol:

Not that it matters per se, but if you've just paid over a hundred quid plus for a PC Gfx Card you should be expecting rocket-ship sexy graphics! It's your right!

The Xbox 360's Gfx chip is apparently based on a cross between the R520 and R600 Radeon chips (think Radeon X1800/GeForce 7000 for comparison) so the latest cards are a whopping five whole generations ahead, in terms of features and raw grunt. That's not five different specs of card either. Five generations of cards, each with 5 or 6 different card specs per generation. That's a LOT of progress since 2005! :shock:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Freestyler wrote:
The current consoles are showing their age now. It's difficult to notice (I played Sleeping Dogs on Xbox and it was FANTASTIC) but in side-by-side comparisons it's glaringly obvious. Do a Youtube on "PC vs Xbox 360" and sit with your jaw dropping! :lol:

Not that it matters per se, but if you've just paid over a hundred quid plus for a PC Gfx Card you should be expecting rocket-ship sexy graphics! It's your right!

The Xbox 360's Gfx chip is apparently based on a cross between the R520 and R600 Radeon chips (think Radeon X1800/GeForce 7000 for comparison) so the latest cards are a whopping five whole generations ahead, in terms of features and raw grunt. That's not five different specs of card either. Five generations of cards, each with 5 or 6 different card specs per generation. That's a LOT of progress since 2005! :shock:
I haven't been paying attention to PC development for several years now. :?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests