Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: Doom 3: BFG Edition...anybody getting it?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:50 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:It's a mere £14.39 on Sainsbury's website when the current 20% discount promo code is applied -
http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.u ... =E11133739

:D
So still more expensive than Play.com's £13.99 as per the OP:
http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3226115 ... tails.html
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:12 pm

I'm definitely getting it - loved both Doom 3 and RoE. No brainer, really.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm

i will definitely be tempted,i have the steel book edition for xbox but never played ROE.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:41 pm

I downloaded Doom 3 for £6.99 from the Mac store a little while ago. No extras but runs good (as you would expect).

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:25 pm

I grew up playing DOOM 1 & 2 (buying the CD-ROM Big Box version of DOOM 2 on release for a whopping £40, I still have it to this day) and I have probably spent more hours on those games than any other.. playing them constantly with new source ports, mods, and user created maps over the years. They are fast paced and satisfying to play, something lost over the years as FPS games became more and more cut scene heavy and relying on scripted scenes and storylines over fast fluid gameplay.

I bought DOOM 3 on release too, I cannot begin to describe the excitement I feel building up to the release, much like I cannot adequately express how fecking sh1t awful that game is.. My friend and I sat gobsmacked.. not by the impressive visuals, but by how b0llocks the game was.. utter utter crap. Slow, boring, rubbish monsters, over use of darkness, not being able to use a torch at the same time as your gun, enemies reduced to a red paste upon dying (even from a melee hit). I Hate that game with a passion.. even the user crated mod that redid the first episode of original DOOM in DOOM 3 engine couldn't save it (though that was a million times better than the vanilla DOOM 3 game).

I wouldn't even consider buying this crap, HD or not. Unless it had DOOM 1 & 2 on there in some kind of cool form (not just the ones already available on XBLA)

DOOM and QUAKE were (ARE) some of the best games ver made, yet both series lost the way and began to blend into each other and also into mediocrity. Much like the Resident Evil series now too.

I find myself playing old FPS on PC much more than new ones, though the odd good one appears now and then (Far Cry, Bioshock, Borderlands etc)

I am now playing Duke Nukem 3d with the High Resolution pack installed and that's pretty epic.

Just finished installing Borderlands 2 so that's my week gone, unless it sucks arse.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:38 pm

samhain81 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:such as now being able to use a torch and gun at the same time
Way to take the tension out of the game.
That's one of the things that I'm kinda on the fence about. While it was annoying, it did add to the creepiness of the really dark areas.

I'll still be giving the BFG Edition a go but I'll likely keep hold of the Xbox originals anyway so I'll always have those to go back to if I want.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Re: the flashlight issue - I just read this on IGN,
Instead of forcing you to use either a flashlight or a gun, id lets you turn a flashlight on whenever you want. The flashlight has a limited charge so it can't stay on forever, but at least you don't need to put your weapon away to shine a light into the darkness.
So not all bad news then it seems. In the same article, however, it goes on to say,
As id Software's Tim Willits recalls, the original flashlight mechanic was "not the best call." He said, "At the time [of its original launch], Doom 3 was pushing PCs to the max. We could not have had that dynamic light at the same time as all the weapon effects. But now we have lots of horsepower. But I've gotten some hate email about switching the flashlight. There have been some people that are pissed. It's kind of cool that care enough after so long to send me an email and say 'I can't believe you're screwing it up.'"
On a more positive note it also states,
"We upped the player speed, upped the ammo counts, and just by doing those small things have pushed it more towards horror-action instead of horror-survival. One of the big criticisms [of the original] was that people spent way too much time hunting for ammo and not enough time shooting demons, which is what it's all about."
Source: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/03/d ... r-survival
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:14 pm

Ive had the original on steam for ages. Since this is coming out ill probably play this instead. Im assuming it doesnt really play like the other doom games?
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:37 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:Ive had the original on steam for ages. Since this is coming out ill probably play this instead. Im assuming it doesnt really play like the other doom games?
No. While I don't share Chip's rancor I was also dissappointed with Doom 3. I just found it really boring to play; you're almost always boxed in so there's literally no room for any kind of tactics or creativity. Quake 2 was the high point for ID shooters IMO.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:32 pm

I understand the rant but it's a decent enough game in its own right - ROE originally allowed the torch gun combo as standard, plus it has a gravity gun (early in game), plucking an Imp's fireball out of the air and throwing it back at them is very satisfying. I'd recommend this.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:28 am

So this is Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3 all remastered?

I should imagine I'll buy that, yeah 8)

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:51 pm

I must be the only one who liked the torch/gun choice, since it built a lot of tension. Whilst I really enjoyed the game overall, what I didn't like was that it switched to more one on one or two on one encounters as opposed to the mass brawls of the previous games, and the bodies would always vanish when you die (although part of this would of course be due to technical limitations)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:28 pm

djcarlos wrote:So this is Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3 all remastered?

I should imagine I'll buy that, yeah 8)
Yeah IIRC you could use both analog sticks in DOOM and DOOM II.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:01 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:Ive had the original on steam for ages. Since this is coming out ill probably play this instead. Im assuming it doesnt really play like the other doom games?
The earlier Doom's are all about blasting your way through everything. Doom 3 is still the same to an extent but I found the horror theme to be amped up and rushing through areas was out of the question thanks to all the scares and stuff that made you creep about carefully.

There are also loads of PDA's to pick up with logs that piece together the story and help create an evil atmosphere, kinda like the scan visor in Metroid Prime.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:12 am

It gets a bit more like traditional DOOM from mid way on, at least in ROE - I can't remember much of DOOM 3 itself other than few enemies on screen, which was your point.