Resident Evil 6 - Oh God what have they done?!!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Bobinator

Re: Resident Evil 6 - Oh God what have they done?!!!

Post by Bobinator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:45 am

Survival horror market too small, says Resident Evil developer

OK. Let me say in the interest of fairness, that if the sequels were actually as GOOD as Resident Evil 4, I wouldn't personally mind if they kept it going in that direction instead of going back to the survival horror route. But they're not. Not only that, but they're specifically saying that they want it to be Call of Duty, only with zombies.

OH WAIT

Dear Capcom,

Please proceed to go bankrupt once you're done translating that new Ace Attorney, so that Platinum can buy up all your franchises and make something good from them again.

Love, Bobinator

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:10 am

Fcuk that! Capcom can stay for me.

Sure Resi 6 is pants, sure they've got half of this forum crying over DLC on disk (hardly news, been happening for years) but they are a long way from being EA scutter types (just yet).

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:06 am

I've yet to play Res Evil 6, but I might get it later. I'm sure I have a spare dvd-r laying about.

Anyways, Resident Evil died to me after 4. At least in 4, the plagued villagers looked a little like zombies so it still retained that horror element.

My order of favourites go:

RE: Code Veronica
RE 2
RE: Zero
RE: 1
All others afterwards..

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:10 am

koopa42 wrote:Fcuk that! Capcom can stay for me.

Sure Resi 6 is pants, sure they've got half of this forum crying over DLC on disk (hardly news, been happening for years) but they are a long way from being EA scutter types (just yet).
Trust me, if it were ONLY this and the DLC that they were doing, much less people would be feeling the way I do. But Capcom has basically been snowballing bad decision after bad decision into one giant mess. First we've got the fact that they barely even make their own games any more, for one thing. And when they do, they're picking some of the worst possible companies to head their projects. Take the new Devil May Cry, for example, brought to you by the people who made this, who think that the series needed an extra dose of political commentary. Even Street Fighter's ended up worse lately, with Street Fighter 4 managing to be slower than both 2 and 3. And Street Fighter VS Tekken was just a mess from the start/

And don't get me started on Mega Man. [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKq22PkCweI]Really, don't.

Point is: Yes, Capcom's bad. There's no shame in admitting it.

To get back to the thread at hand, I have to admit I could never get into the original Resident Evil games before 4. I mean, I know the tank controls and limited ammo were supposed to add to the horror, but I honestly thought it was more frustrating than anything else. Maybe I haven't given them a proper shot, but still.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:14 am

Capcom are ace! just far from the aceness of old :(

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:17 am

I never warmed to Code Veronica, though I did give it a lot of time.

For me...

Remake (Cube)
RE4 (Cube - haven't played the Wii one)
RE2 (PS)
RE Zero (Cube)
RE3 (PS)
Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)
RE1 original (PS)
Code Veronica (PS2)

Never played any of the others.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:23 am

Did anyone like Survivor? LOL that's up there with RotR and ET.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:12 am

Kinda grim when the slogan for the adverts is "No Hope Left". XD
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:05 am

Resi 4 is in my top ten games of all time. I also loved 5, Remake, Zero and the Wii light-gun games; all are classics in my view. But Revelations left me cold, and I am clearly a bit of a 3DS fan.

I would have bought this Day 1 if the reviews had of been a little more positive, and if the demo was better. I am seriously concerned for the future of Capcom to be honest. Yeah, this will sell, but people will be disappointed in their droves after they finish it. I can see tonnes of this traded in. It will get a bad reputation down the line, and will affect Capcom I think in the long run. Street Fighter X Tekken is now dirt cheap to buy in even over-priced kips like Gamestop - surely as a result of the negative PR it got post-release?

I hope Capcom can sort itself out as it makes my favourite third party games on any system.... or at least, it did before.....

Having said all of that, I am interested in what you guys on here think of it after you finish its 4 campaigns.

Also, have you guys read Destructoid's review? It got a three, but its reads more like a one or two :shock:

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:50 am

The acting in RE6 is disturbingly good. It's almost not Resident Evil at all.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:57 pm

3/10 reviews are just stupid. Clearly the game is average, but the graphics, co-op options and campain length would get it up to 5/10 even if it is dull. Stuipid reviews like that help no one. Hopefully some of these internet warriors will be equally as harsh on other bland looking sequels such as mario bros Wii U.

Capcom are still a top developer, it's cool to hate them but they've still made some of the best games this year despite all the crap.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:12 pm

^ Clearly the Resi franchise is in a bit of trouble though wouldnt you agree? If im going by popular critic response:

5 had issues with partner AI and the lack of suspense.
Mercanaries 3D had its non deletable save which is unforgiveable.
Revelations seemed to divide opinion.
Operation Raccoon City was subject to very poor reviews and 6 appears to be getting a similar treatment.

On top of all that the cancellation of two Megaman games, the DLC uproar regarding Street Fighter X Tekken, fan rage at the the new DMC (Which i personally have no issue with), Overpriced release of Jojo's Bizarre adventure. Whilst i do understand that there are a lot of immature people on the net that get mad about absolutely everything, its clear Capcom havent got the best image at the moment.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:59 pm

After reading the EGDE review I was left with the thought that surely Capcom should bring the franchise to a close, rather than run it into Gears/CoD territory, away from survival horror. What it was supposed to be about?

Then again isn't Capcom "all about the money" and so bringing that particular franchise to a close the last thing on its minds? Why try to introduce new IP if they already have a cash-in-the-bank IP already?

I suppose they're stuck either way: They can't do another "Resident Evil" type game because people have played enough of those (hell, what game doesn't have zombies these days?) but they also can't tinker too much with the franchise or else they risk alienating the people who are buying the games in the first place.

Basically, self-imposed creative stagnation?
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Space Holiday

Post by Space Holiday » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:39 pm

Megamixer wrote:Resident Evil 4 was a masterpiece; a complete revolution of the series but still creepy with a few scares and the usual disgusting mutations etc. Wesker manipulating the story in the background also ties the game into the RE storyline but it can also be ignored of course and enjoyed for what it is.
This, not really sure why Resi 4 is getting hate. Also, I just played the resi 6 demo, it is a massive disappointment, the atmosphere in Leon's campaign is great, except he runs like an idiot and the game doesn't seem sure whether or not it wants to be a cutscene or a game, it keeps switching between them too rapidly.
Check out Alt:Mag - We're always looking for new writers! Apply within.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Freestyler wrote: I suppose they're stuck either way: They can't do another "Resident Evil" type game because people have played enough of those (hell, what game doesn't have zombies these days?) but they also can't tinker too much with the franchise or else they risk alienating the people who are buying the games in the first place.
It's well-known these days that Devil May Cry began life as a Resi sequel before morphing into its own thing and going on to become a big, popular franchise. I say that Capcom need to do this again. Take all of these action elements that they are playing around with and make a new IP with them, an IP that isn't bogged down trying to do new things while also adhere to what series fans want.

The Resident Evil brand should then be reserved for games closer to the originals and try to emulate the horror/atmosphere that games such as Project Zero still manage to create. Capcom also need to take care with the name and not attach it to too many spin-offs and experiments in other genres.

Obviously the big problem is putting those action elements into a new IP and making that IP a hit big enough to spawn it's own future of sequels. If anybody can do it though, a veteran videogames giant such as Capcom should (on paper) be able to do it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.