Resident Evil 6 - Oh God what have they done?!!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ChipTune

Resident Evil 6 - Oh God what have they done?!!!

Post by ChipTune » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Demo out today .. downloaded, usual excitement for a brand new release in a loved franchise (even after a few duff games) but holy smeg I was not expecting this travesty..

I had bad feelings about this when GAMES tm magazine had a hands on play test of this very demo and wrote a fairly scathing piece on it. But I figured they were being over dramatic. I was wrong.

This entry in the series is utter garbage. This is simply not a resident evil game.. It's basically a mediocre shooter like Spec Ops The Line, with zombies.

There are 3 campaigns to choose from.

1. LEON. This seemed good to start with, zombies, a dingy college campus.. good atmosphere.. I had high hopes. But these were immediately dashed when I realised the controls are awful, moving Leon around feels like a chore and really ruins the immersion. Secondly, and worse still is that head shots dont really do anything. I shot multiple zombies several times in the head expecting a clean kill.. but they just take loads of shots and it doesnt seem to matter where you hit them. I shot one in the head 5 times, then killed him by stamping on his back (at which point he fizzled away into sludge).
One zombie had a weapon, I attacked with melee and stole his weapon and killed him with it in a scripted scene but then as soon as it ended the weapon (an axe) was gone. Pathetic.

2. CHRIS. I honestly dont know how to express this without vomiting, this starts with a jeep load of zombies arriving and opening fire with machine guns.. yes really.. This is Call of Duty with zombies and in third person view.. It is absolute gash and I wont waste another word on it.

3. JAKE. Very similar to CHRIS's campaign. Lots of shooty, fast zombies, turning into big lizard monster things and running around. The hero is a douchebag of note, spouting 'I live for this' style Vin Diesel crap. Unacceptable.

An absolute pile of Donkey anus. CAPCOM should be thoroughly ashamed of this game.

Im all for new ideas in known franchises, but this is taking the p1ss to the extreme. Even if it wasn't resident evil it would still be a very poor game. Where is the sense of fear and survival, where are the puzzles and safe rooms, where is anything resembling the gameplay and tension the old games did so well (despite clunky controls). Resident Evil 4 was an excellent game and that wasnt that long ago, so god knows what happened here.. Resi 5 was pretty lame, but this is even worse.

I really suggest anyone who has time and access to the demo to go check it out and see for yourselves (though I am sure many will like it purely to disagree with me)

DPrinny

Re: Resident Evil 6 - Oh God what have they done?!!!

Post by DPrinny » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Four was the start of the fall of the series, was a good game, but didnt really feel like a Resident evil.

6 has put me right off with DLC "up the arse" and QTEs a plenty.
Its hardest puzzle is probably pressing a button
Last edited by DPrinny on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llj

Post by llj » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:59 pm

ChipTune wrote: An absolute pile of Donkey anus. CAPCOM should be thoroughly ashamed of this game.

Im all for new ideas in known franchises, but this is taking the p1ss to the extreme. Even if it wasn't resident evil it would still be a very poor game. Where is the sense of fear and survival, where are the puzzles and safe rooms, where is anything resembling the gameplay and tension the old games did so well (despite clunky controls). Resident Evil 4 was an excellent game and that wasnt that long ago, so god knows what happened here..)
Shinji Mikami left Capcom is what happened.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:09 pm

DPrinny wrote:Four was the start of the fall of the series, was a good game, but didnt really feel like a Resident evil.
I thought it did. It was the perfect updating of the formula - the same basic structure and scares but with a massively improved control scheme. I know some people liked the tank controls of the early Resi games but I wasn't one of them.

It also felt a bit more focussed. I recently had a quick blast on the GC version of Resi 1 and was amazed at how little instruction the game gives you. I found myself wandering the mansion for an hour, never sure where the game wanted me to go or what it wanted me to do. I think Resi 4 struck a nice balance between that slightly too freeform nature and the relentless linearity of many modern games.

So yeah, I love Resi 4. Don't think I'll ever bother with 5 or 6 though, and not just because I don't own a PS360. I don't think I've ever heard a good comment about them!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:21 pm

I had a quick razz, seemed a bit sh1t but it was only a 5 minute razz. Have they removed the whole 'wing the zombie then do various ace combat moves to save ammo' gubbins and replaced it with a straight forward melee attack? That would be fail of the highest order, unless it was just me? I could get the zombie to stumble or sh1t

Syntesis

Post by Syntesis » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:43 pm

You described almost exactly how I felt including being initially hopeful because of the setting of the Leon demo.
ChipTune wrote: 2. CHRIS. I honestly dont know how to express this without vomiting, this starts with a jeep load of zombies arriving and opening fire with machine guns.. yes really.. This is Call of Duty with zombies and in third person view.. It is absolute gash and I wont waste another word on it.
It's impossible to convey just how bad the Chris part of the demo is. Words cannot do it justice.

This series is dead to me.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:48 pm

killbot wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Four was the start of the fall of the series, was a good game, but didnt really feel like a Resident evil.
So yeah, I love Resi 4. Don't think I'll ever bother with 5 or 6 though, and not just because I don't own a PS360. I don't think I've ever heard a good comment about them!
I have enjoyed RE5 despite some AI annoyances & some QTE action. Plus I have heard other forum members mentioning that they enjoyed it too. You have to try these things for yourself rather than relying on 3rd party information & treating it as gospel.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:43 pm

Nemesis wrote:
killbot wrote:
I have enjoyed RE5 despite some AI annoyances & some QTE action. Plus I have heard other forum members mentioning that they enjoyed it too. You have to try these things for yourself rather than relying on 3rd party information & treating it as gospel.
Well, I won't be playing them anyway - as I said I don't own any of the consoles they're coming out on. If I did have a 360... well, with all the quality games on that machine Resi 5 would be pretty far down my 'to buy' list.

If someone gave me a free 360 and a copy of the game then I'd give it a chance and play it. But I wouldn't spend money on a game just to see if it was as bad as I'd heard. Because usually (though not always) it is.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

llj

Post by llj » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Also, I wish they'd bring back the solo female character scenarios. I want to see Claire again. Is Chris really that popular? It seems to me pretty much even hardcore RE fans hate him, or at least consider him the least interesting character-protagonist in the RE universe.

steve82

Post by steve82 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:50 pm

i just played the PS3 demo and ermmmmmmm.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:57 am

The whole franchise is overrated trash if you ask me, but I did give the demo a go. My opinion hasn't changed.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:49 am

I know it's just a demo (but how much can it really change?) but does anyone else think it feels 'tinny'? Even the pistols in 4 and 5 feel like they have some meat to them, in 6 I didn't feel any impact with the weapons if you catch my drift.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:40 am

koopa42 wrote:I had a quick razz, seemed a bit sh1t but it was only a 5 minute razz. Have they removed the whole 'wing the zombie then do various ace combat moves to save ammo' gubbins and replaced it with a straight forward melee attack? That would be fail of the highest order, unless it was just me? I could get the zombie to stumble or sh1t
Pretty sure there are still melee moves in the game when you knee cap zombies or stun them. Its just that shooting zombies doesn't seem as responsive as shooting Ganando's in RE4 so when I do pull the moves off it feels more random than anything else.

I played the demo back when it came with Dragons Dogma a couple of months back. My main complaint was that the camera zooms far to close when aiming so you can't see one whole side of the screen - that's pretty bad in Chris' campaign when there are so many damn enemies coming at you from all angles... Its supposed to be better in the final game but I'm not convinced. Either way, I'll wind up getting it on day one...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:42 am

I thought the cam was too close in Resi 5 too, just a cheap way of putting zombies in your face quickly. Does anyone else find the gunplay spongy/tinny? I like big responsive booms to zombie face

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:51 am

Can't say I remember the camera being to close in RE5. I played that game to death and never remember having camera problems, then again that was a few years ago. The shooting in this (at least on Leon's segment and the big boss on Jakes segment) definelty doesn't seem as responsive as past games - zombies shamble forward while not really reacting to your shots and the big boss doesn't seem to really react to you shooting the censored out of him either :?
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*