Longest loader?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

virtvic

damn that gauntlet on 800 xl

Post by virtvic » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:24 pm

I used to come home from school at lunch time, get Gauntlet started and go back to school. If I was lucky it would be waiting for me when I got back. Then I'd play it for as long as possible. Wish I had a disk drive back then. 5 and a quarter inches of technology!

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:26 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:Arcadia Commodore 64-20 minutes.
God, don't I remember that! But I once stopped the tape half way through, because I had to go and do something else, and up popped the game. So from then on I always waited till half way through and the game came on!

Don't know why that happened. I do know that the C64 and C2N reads data in twice, once to load and once to verify (I think) so maybe that had something to do with it??

Otherwise, I've no idea why...?

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:54 pm

I remember wizardry (c64) being a nightmare to load because it just stayed with a blue screen all the way through (when it was released loading screens were being used in most games). It was well past 200 on the C2N tape counter before it finished. I remember stopping it a couple of times cause I didn't think it had worked.

Great game though, great tunes too

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:00 pm

LeeT wrote:I think the original cassette version of Football Manager took twenty mins on the C64. Luckily I had a cracked 'turbo tape' one that loaded within two mins! :)
Footy Manager on the Speccy was no better. And to save the game it saved the whole code!!

K-J N.

Post by K-J N. » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:20 pm

Anything with the C64 kernel loader, incredibly slow and saved stuff twice so it was extra slow. I had some games like Pitfall 2 that used it which I didn't get to play untill several weeks after I got the game since I used to stop the taped after 230 or so on the tape counter thinking there had to be something wrong because it wasn't finished yet.

Some technical info on some C64 tape loaders.

roberthazelby

Re: Longest loader?

Post by roberthazelby » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:42 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Anyone know why Atari 800 xl games took so long to load?
It's to do with the crappy cassette baud rate.

(I've had to do some online digging around here, so please feel free to correct my figures)

800XL - 300 baud rate!

Commodore 64 - 300 baud rate!

Spectrum - 1200 baud rate

I'm sure Mr. Fisher will wander over in a moment and correct me on my printed C64 baud rate ;)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:53 pm

Oric was ahead of the game with this one then. Its OS included dual speed save/load by default. It was fairly common for Oric games to come with the fast version on one side and the slow version on the other. If you had an iffy tape deck, you could pretty much guarantee the slow loader would work. Made those tape to tape 'backups' much easier too ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:47 am

@Robert... nah 300 baud sounds about right for C64. Fast loaders when introduced, did two things in general: upped the baud rate to near 3000 in some cases, and removed the second copy of a program on tape used for the "verify" process.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

merman

Re: Longest loader?

Post by merman » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:40 am

roberthazelby wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Anyone know why Atari 800 xl games took so long to load?
It's to do with the crappy cassette baud rate.

I'm sure Mr. Fisher will wander over in a moment and correct me on my printed C64 baud rate ;)
Nope, 300 baud is the right figure. Partly to do with backwards compatibility, partly to do with Commodore cost-cutting to go with the cheapest solution. Of course the Plus/4 and C16 then have a completely different tape system that is incompatible with the C64...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:31 pm

I remember Hampstead by Melbourne house having a turbo load on the reverse side.
Needed a decent cassette recorder though.
I always found the one sold by WH Smiths to be the best

DADDYCOOL

Post by DADDYCOOL » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:30 pm

Anyone remember Outrun on the Atari ST's loading time?

Im a huge Outrun fan and remember waiting for aaaaages for it to come out on 16bit computer (8bit versions were out for a while) and when it arrived through the post i was that excited it booted it up before i went to school.

And i waited....and waited, i thought after waiting all this time my egarly awaited game was dud but after 8-10 mins it made it (and i was late for school). Couldnt believe a disk based game took so long?

Top it off the conversion was pap ....Cheers US Gold :(

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:51 pm

Had to be Joe Blade on the Atari 65xe

45 minutes and it was censored
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:41 pm

Mayhem wrote:@Robert... nah 300 baud sounds about right for C64. Fast loaders when introduced, did two things in general: upped the baud rate to near 3000 in some cases, and removed the second copy of a program on tape used for the "verify" process.
I've heard a few people mention the C64 and it's "second copy of a program to verify" process. So, was this actually true? Can you explain more? It seems such on OTT and time consuming process, but I'd still be interested to know why this was invented.

Yea, I know. I should get out more ;)

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:13 pm

roberthazelby wrote:
Mayhem wrote:@Robert... nah 300 baud sounds about right for C64. Fast loaders when introduced, did two things in general: upped the baud rate to near 3000 in some cases, and removed the second copy of a program on tape used for the "verify" process.
I've heard a few people mention the C64 and it's "second copy of a program to verify" process. So, was this actually true? Can you explain more? It seems such on OTT and time consuming process, but I'd still be interested to know why this was invented.

Yea, I know. I should get out more ;)
Yep, it really was two copies.

With a standard SAVE, there is a header which tells the computer the name of the program and where to load it in memory. (This is the bit where it comes up FOUND name)
Then you get two complete copies of the file. The first one is loaded into memory, and then the computer does a VERIFY - comparing the second copy to the data in memory. Any problems and you get a LOAD ERROR.

I discovered this once with a BASIC game. There was an error on the tape during the second copy, but I was able to save the program to another tape.

Questor

Post by Questor » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:35 am

Twin Kingdom Valley on the BBC/Electron was perhaps the most annoying for me - it was a pretty tough (when you were 7) adventure and if you failed, then you had to load the whole thing again, and it took about 15 minutes!