Longest loader?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

paranoid marvin

Longest loader?

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:01 pm

The longest loading game for me has to be Clumsy Colin on Atari 800 xl
Took about 25-30 minutes!
Anyone know why Atari 800 xl games took so lomg to load?
Usually no loading screen either!

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:18 pm

Arcadia Commodore 64-20 minutes.

Crunchy

Re: Longest loader?

Post by Crunchy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:03 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:The longest loading game for me has to be Clumsy Colin on Atari 800 xl
Took about 25-30 minutes!
Anyone know why Atari 800 xl games took so lomg to load?
Usually no loading screen either!
I love my Atari 800XL but dagnamit the loading times are the stuff of legend!
Clumsy Colin was bad for loading but Mr Do and Bounty Bob Strikes Back beat it hands down. Handy for home experiments in Time Dilation though. Just crank up Mr Do and watch it load, it'll feel like ten years have passed.
The prize must go to Gauntlet though. Not only a long initial load but also many, many repeated loadings throughout the game. One for the truly dedicated Gauntlet fan. One for the masochists.

The reason I played Jet Boot Jack so much was simply because it loaded relatively quickly.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:39 pm

Street Fighter 2 on the Spectrum.

It was multiload, even on 128K machines....the 'blocks' didn't take a massive amount of time to load in (a minute or so each I think it was) but considering that you had to first load the main section of the game in, then load 1 'block' for each fighter and another for the background.....and there was NO onscreen indication as to whether you were loading in the correct required 'block' each time or not, which often meant just having to leave the tape running and hope for the best....you can imagine how long a couple of matches could take :(

The 128k casette version of Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O' Fun takes an age to play through as well :(

The longest non multiload games on the 128k Speccy generally only take about 10 mins at most to load in though...not too bad, considering!

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:35 am

The worst one I can remember was the tape version of "Racing Destruction Set" on the C64. I don't know how long it was, but if it was an hour, I wouldn't be surprised!

It was a multi load game that let you choose the track and cars to race on. The problem was that it had to load each option you selected from a seperate file on the tape(s). I played it once and was so disgusted with it, I never played it again. I've since played the disk version, which is very quick and no problem at all.

The quickest loading tape game I ever had on the C64 was Boulderdash - 11 seconds!!! I think it was probably a cracked turbo load version, but still, 11 seconds off tape! :shock:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:16 am

Gunship from Microprose on C64 cassette. It could easily be an hour from deciding to play to actually starting the mission. Any change of mission or loadouts etc would then incur maybe another half hour. Horrible, horrible multiload but I persevered anyway as it was such a good game. They sorted it out a bit for Project: Stealth, which is just as well as I played that even more.

The worst single load I came across (that I remember) was C64 Forbidden Forest which was around 20 minutes iirc. It was worth the wait.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:27 am

I'd back RDS as the worst tape-loader in existence—it's even worse than Gunship, which was pretty appalling. The RDS loader was pitifully slow, and it did take significantly over a half hour to get a game set up. The sad thing was, it still took over ten minutes on DISC. Apparently, Electronic Arts thought we were a patient lot back then. Shame, really, as once you did get it going, it was a fantastic two-player game.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:36 am

I think the original cassette version of Football Manager took twenty mins on the C64. Luckily I had a cracked 'turbo tape' one that loaded within two mins! :)

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:37 am

it still took over ten minutes on DISC
I thought it was okay from disk. Maybe I was so amazed at it taking under an hour that I didn't notice, or it was a cracked turbo version, or I played it under emulation and speeded it up.

sack

Post by sack » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:51 am

the atari 800 was constructed in such a way that it is impossible to write a turbo loader so you had to load at stock speeds.

on the plus side the stereo tracks were seperated so you could record an audio track on one side and the data on the other - but even Martin Galway would be pushed to write loading tunes that long :)
A9 00 8D 20 D0 8D 21 D0 60

funkym00se

Post by funkym00se » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:43 am

Are you sure you couldnt have a turbo loader on the Atari? I thought later on there were some. Although my memory cant back that up at the minute so i could be wrong.

God i loved my 800xl. Fantastic machine.

broton

Post by broton » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:28 am

JSW on the Atari 800XL - took about 2 or 3 days as I remember. Then when it finally worked we didn't switch it off for another day or so

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:06 am

I remember Breach II on the Amiga was probably the longest single disk loader I had. It took minutes, and it had crap music when the loading picture came on, but the game was so good that I didn't care.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:58 am

Longest I can think of is Sentinel on tape, the original Synapse version for C64. Went to 336 on the tape counter, that must have been 25 minutes or so.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:02 pm

Anyone remember playing Lord of the Rings on spectrum (Melbourne House adventure game)
What a mess of a multi-load that was!