Chrono Trigger VS Final Fantasy 6

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

legato10

Chrono Trigger VS Final Fantasy 6

Post by legato10 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:13 am

It's no secret that both titles are essentially timeless classics, but which one is the superior RPG and why?

I'm curious about what people have to say on this. I'm putting together a video on the subject and welcome retrospective reasons as to which one is a better RPG.

killbot

Re: Chrono Trigger VS Final Fantasy 6

Post by killbot » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:33 pm

I have downloaded both for VC, but haven't gotten round to playing FFVI yet. I played a good 40 hours of CT but got completely stuck on one of the bosses - I was probably no more than a couple of hours from the end but ended up just calling it a day.

I'm no good at JRPGs.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:36 pm

It's probably a crime I've not played through both, even if I do have VI on GBA.....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Chrono Trigger is overall the better game. The reason? No random battles!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:15 pm

Final Fantasy IV.

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Final Fantasy 6 has a better cast of characters, a better story, a brilliant soundtrack (Look it up on Itunes) and it was the first FF I played (SNES import) back in the 90s. Though Chrono Trigger is also a great game (with a better battle system and less linear plot) I would rate FF better overall(My avatar might give that away).

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:16 pm

I didn't think the soundtrack was anywhere near as good as most say. Some of the tunes were amazing but Chrono Trigger sounded far more advanced and natural.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

llj

Post by llj » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Chrono Trigger is better on a technical level--graphics, sound design, game mechanics, but I personally prefer FF6 simply because it feels more like a journey to me, and its slower pace lets me get into the atmosphere more. In Chrono Trigger, there's a sense that you're getting shepherded from one event to the next.

And while technically Chrono Trigger has no random battles, the majority of the battles are simply unavoidable. And I'm not talking about bosses. I think only about 3 battles per area are avoidable. In the later dungeons, though, you pretty much have to fight every enemy you see.

As for Chrono Trigger's music, I guess it's fine if you like kiddie music.
Last edited by llj on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:59 pm

If you have a problem with random battles, Earthbound had an even better solution. Enemies appear onscreen, yes, but the game also skips battles with weaker enemies and gives you the exp automatically! A fantastic idea that should be in every RPG.

llj

Post by llj » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:29 pm

In Wild Arms 3, they have an encounter guage mechanic you can upgrade throughout the game, to give you more and more ability to skip battles.

In fact, if you upgrade it enough, it is possible to play through almost the entire second half of the game without fighting a single random battle, and only fighting boss fights. The boss fights also give you enough experience to beat the game, too.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:13 pm

noobish hat wrote:If you have a problem with random battles, Earthbound had an even better solution. Enemies appear onscreen, yes, but the game also skips battles with weaker enemies and gives you the exp automatically! A fantastic idea that should be in every RPG.
Yes. Yes yes yes! Maybe I wouldn't hate JRPGs so much if they all did this.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:56 am

Hard to decide, I'd probably go with FF6 due to the familiarity and stuffs. Both were essentially the best RPGs of their gen (give or take in some opinions) and both had some excellent gameplay differences.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:07 pm

How does Chrono Trigger have kiddie music? What an utterly bizarre comment.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:06 pm

nakamura wrote:How does Chrono Trigger have kiddie music? What an utterly bizarre comment.
Seconded, both have fantastic soundtracks, neither felt kiddie to be honest!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

llj

Post by llj » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:39 pm

nakamura wrote:How does Chrono Trigger have kiddie music? What an utterly bizarre comment.
But it does have kiddie music.

The overall soundtrack for Chrono Trigger has a very beat oriented, jaunty feel. But you can't describe it as dance-like, it's more like the type of music you hear on Sesame Street or Reading Rainbow. They utilize very distinctive melodies that serve the purpose of being simple enough for a child to hum to and light enough to not sound too "heavy" for children to grasp. These are fine, as I said, but there's not a lot of subtlety going on underneath that music. It's very reminiscent of Saturday Morning Cartoon music.

Contrast the music in Chrono Trigger to say, some of Shoji Meguro's soundtracks and you'll see a pretty big gulf in sophistication. Granted, most of Meguro's soundtracks were on better consoles, but even by 16 bit standards, Chrono Trigger's music is fairly unsophisticated, especially for a late era SNES game. Nobuo Umetsu wrung a lot more subtlety out of the SNES chip, IMO, as did Yuzo Koshiro on Actraiser. Even the Street Fighter tunes utilized the SNES sound chip in more inventive ways.

That said, Chrono Trigger WAS targeted at a younger audience than Final Fantasy was, so I guess you can't really hold that against it. A childlike soundtrack is more appropriate, though disappointing if you expected better.

Here's a test: play the music of Chrono Trigger in front of your 65 year old parents (or grandparents) and ask them to describe it to you. I bet you there's a 90% chance the words "kiddie" or "childlike" pop up. It just leaves that impression to the casual ear.