Gamestation shops to be rebranded as Game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

IronMaidenRule

Gamestation shops to be rebranded as Game

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:24 am

Another name gone from the high street.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ame-report

All Gamestation shops are to be rebranded as GAME shops, GAME Retail announced during a private meeting today, MCV reported.

Eurogamer contacted GAME about the report, but were told the chain could not yet comment.

Gamestation and GAME were once rivals, until GAME acquired the more hip and core gamer-facing chain of shops in 2007.

Gamestation shops make up 122 of GAME Group's 341 stores. The shop names may be different, but the two brands have long touted the same game prices among other things.

What will become of gamestation.co.uk is as yet unclear.

Previous GAME and Gamestation owner GAME Group PLC collapsed earlier this year, only to be reborn as Game Retail Ltd.

Roo

Re: Gamestation shops to be rebranded as Game

Post by Roo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:26 am

So long as I can still go in and have half a chance of getting some retro stuff, I don't mind what they call it. The nearest Gamestation is fifteen miles away from where I live anyway - no big deal to me!

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:35 am

Here we go, rip up the dark carpet and walls, and replace with happy fuzzy warm clean lamite flooring, and white walls, only to highlight the empty shelves that GAME will inevitably have.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:47 am

It's all but GAME now anyway so don't see this mattering much.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:01 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:It's all but GAME now anyway so don't see this mattering much.
I often shop in the Game and Gamestation in King's Lynn, and if they are anything to go by then they are far from the same thing, the Game is a sterile horrid little shop, with no retro, and staff trying to flog extended warranties, and useless accessories, trying to tell me what I should buy, while the Gamestation feels like an old style indie shop, staff that know what they are talking about, but without the hard sell you tend to get in game, and there is a really good retro section near the till, with loads of PS1. N64, Saturn, GBA, and a while ago I even picked up a Neo Geo CD game that they had out the back, the machine entered the conversation we were having and one of them remembered seeing the game on a shelf and got it out for me, add to that the much larger selection of games and I far prefer to browse in Gamestation.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:15 am

So they had 3 shops in Manchester city centre 2 Games & a Gamestation & when they were going under they closed the two Game shops....now they are going to re-furbish the GS as a Game, no doubt at great expense. :shock:

With the geniuses in charge it's no wonder they got in bother in the 1st place. :|
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:19 am

It's going to be a mix of Gamestation idea's and GAME one's. It's not just Gamestation turning into GAME, GAME stores will also change to some degree as well. It's a merging of the brands rather than one simply dissapearing.

And to add to the above (having previously worked for GAME and Gamestation in marketing for many years) the Gamestation name and logo doesn't get as good consumer feedback as just 'GAME'. GAME is a better name, and also from a design point of view, much easier to work with and much stronger as a brand identity.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:21 am

Also try and think outside of your own local stores - down here where I live we have a GAME in Basingstoke and a Gamestation in Reading. Both places are close, so if I lived inbetween the two towns, I can't use my GAME points in GS, take a game I bought in Reading back to Basingstoke etc. All stores becoming the same brand unifies the entire company across the UK.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:32 am

the_hawk wrote:So they had 3 shops in Manchester city centre 2 Games & a Gamestation & when they were going under they closed the two Game shops....now they are going to re-furbish the GS as a Game, no doubt at great expense. :shock:
Maybe, maybe not. In the revenue strapped world they are currently in, it might be better just to chop the word "station" from the name stand outside heh.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:34 am

(businessy markety speak alert)

From a business point of view, it makes perfect sense; Game is the more well known brand for the mainstream consumer, and being able to use the reward card points in many more shops can only be a good thing for people who prefer high street shopping.

Having more shops with the Game logo on the front should go some way to repairing the reputation of the brand.

Plus, if Game stores do take on a bit more "character", this should make it a bit more interesting. (whether they will or not is another matter though)

I'm not in any way trying to claim they're infallible and perfect, but for a business which came so very, very close to massive failure, rebranding all their stores under their more well-known name should be an obvious thing to do.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:37 am

Just hope they turn the lights down a bit

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:44 am

MikeFishcake wrote:I'm not in any way trying to claim they're infallible and perfect, but for a business which came so very, very close to massive failure, rebranding all their stores under their more well-known name should be an obvious thing to do.
Shame they didn't think of that when they closed down loads of Game stores & kept Gamestations that were right beside them open though.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:52 am

the_hawk wrote:
MikeFishcake wrote:I'm not in any way trying to claim they're infallible and perfect, but for a business which came so very, very close to massive failure, rebranding all their stores under their more well-known name should be an obvious thing to do.
Shame they didn't think of that when they closed down loads of Game stores & kept Gamestations that were right beside them open though.
Or rename the company Game Gamestation ;)

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:37 am

They could do what comics did in the 1980s when they merged, put Game in big letters and Station below it in smaller ones that shrink over time...

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:07 am

Doesn't matter, the prices/deals have been the same for a couple of months now. I bought Rage today and only last week there was a 3 for 2 deal (which are always sh1t) and this week? No deals but marked down stuff instead (STILL at crap prices).

After a little snicky snacky win at the bookies? I was ready to shell out on the soopa doopa borderlands 2 CE as well but they haven't got them left LOL they just missed out on £130 :?