Gamestation shops to be rebranded as Game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: Gamestation shops to be rebranded as Game

Post by DPrinny » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:49 am

On he plus side, people are now opening smaller indie stores where Game used to be

Random Hero

Post by Random Hero » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:25 am

I am dreading our new uniforms. :/

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:31 pm

Freestyler wrote:The thing is, as much as I always lambaste the guys at CeX for their brain-dead attitude and sloth-like pace, I've never once heard any one of their staff - in any branch I've ever been in - deliberately lie to their customers. At the worst you'll get an "Urrr... dunno mate, sorry." to a question. Or maybe a "Yeah, well, the PS3 has free online so that's good."

Possibly it's because they don't get commission on sales?
Well I guess CeX employees aren't required to have a specific expertise (ie. in gaming) that GAME employees are required to have because they sell a broader spectrum of goods. A GAME employee needs to know about consoles and games. A CeX employees needs to know about consoles, games, CDs, DVDs, phones, laptops, graphics cards, sound cards, SD cards...etc!

And I agree with you - it's better that someone says "I don't know" than to try blag an answer.

What i like about CeX (in the stores I've been in at least) is that they're not pushy sales people; they'll just sit and wait for you to bring what you want to buy to the counter, and if you have any questions they'll try to answer them as best they can (that's not an attack on GAME employees personally, as they're instructed by their head office to aggressively push pre-owned copies, pre-orders, etc., they're just doing what they're told).
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:34 pm

Random Hero wrote:I am dreading our new uniforms. :/

Random Hero

Post by Random Hero » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:10 pm

sscott wrote:
Random Hero wrote:I am dreading our new uniforms. :/
In actuality this would probably be preferable. :D

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:54 am

che_don_john wrote:What i like about CeX (in the stores I've been in at least) is that they're not pushy sales people; they'll just sit and wait for you to bring what you want to buy to the counter, and if you have any questions they'll try to answer them as best they can (that's not an attack on GAME employees personally, as they're instructed by their head office to aggressively push pre-owned copies, pre-orders, etc., they're just doing what they're told).
Perfect sales staff: "Hi, if you need any help I'll right here."

Pushy Sales Staff: "Hi, did you want to pre-order that? How about this bundle? Want Insurance? We have great PS3 deals today only! Want to trade in some old games? 3 for 2 offers? Upgrade your DS? Fifa 09 for 50p? Hey, where are you going? Come back! I need to sell more bundles or I'll get sacked! Hey! HEY!!"
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:58 am

My experience with 'pushy' GAME staff has never been anything more than:

"Hi there, do you need any help at all?"
"No thank you, just browsing."
"No problem."

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:29 am

alistair_thomas wrote:My experience with 'pushy' GAME staff has never been anything more than:

"No problem."
Tbh this is my experience as well, I find all the pushy stuff happens at the check-out. More than one occasion I've gotten so fed up I've put the game I was about to purchase back on the shelf and walked out.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:06 am

alistair_thomas wrote:My experience with 'pushy' GAME staff has never been anything more than:

"No problem."

Same here, I don't think they've ever tried to push anything on to me or been rude in any way. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to be approached and browse in peace, but I appreciate it's difficult since other people get annoyed if they aren't dealt with the moment they walk in the store.

However I hardly ever buy from either Game or Gamestation. I was in town yesterday and thought I'd see how much Red Dead Redemption was - £17.99. I then went home and bought it from Play for £8.70. Didn't even bother looking in CEX since the queue was already near the door.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:09 am

Never have any problems from them my self, aside from the usual hellos

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:48 am

I've had minor issues in the past, but as of late - particularly since the company came out of administration - I've found the staff nothing but courteous, polite and very helpful. The GAME sales assistant who helped me buy a 360 back in April was absolutely excellent.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Negative Creep wrote:However I hardly ever buy from either Game or Gamestation. I was in town yesterday and thought I'd see how much Red Dead Redemption was - £17.99. I then went home and bought it from Play for £8.70. Didn't even bother looking in CEX since the queue was already near the door.
Exactly. I used to look in Game, but haven't bought anything from them in about 15 years - poor stock, high prices. Now that's a winning high-street combination!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:08 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:However I hardly ever buy from either Game or Gamestation. I was in town yesterday and thought I'd see how much Red Dead Redemption was - £17.99. I then went home and bought it from Play for £8.70. Didn't even bother looking in CEX since the queue was already near the door.
Exactly. I used to look in Game, but haven't bought anything from them in about 15 years - poor stock, high prices. Now that's a winning high-street combination!

That's before we even get into how depressing the city centre is anyway, and having to navigate through hordes of Chuggers and 17 year old mums. The day they create an online barber I'll never go in to town at all

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:19 pm

The white and purple signs have started going up above the shelves at Gamestation in Rugby. I can already feel the personality and atmosphere of the shop beginning to drain away...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Still get the odd bargain from there, if a games under a fiver and its got my interest I make it mine