Xenoblade Chronicles

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

killbot

Xenoblade Chronicles

Post by killbot » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:28 am

I've just given up on this after sinking 12 hours of my life into it. It must be the most overrated game this gen.

The characters are bland, the storyline boring, the combat system confusing and the amount of grinding required to beat even the early bosses is a joke. Of the 12 hours I've played, I must have spent 3 grinding. The much vaunted new features it introduces aren't that good - the combat of Last Story, while simpler and less deep, is far more satisfying and easy to learn. Why don't I have full control of my party? How is it fair for me to die repeatedly because my healer keeps having an AI failure and forgetting to heal anyone? Who thought it would b fun to have a boss which is completely impervious to any attack unless I can fill my 'party gauge', and also force me to keep using up said party gauge to resurrect dead party members because my healer isn't doing her job? ARGH!

On the plus side, the graphics are nice. Very nice. Possibly the best on the Wii (it's between this and Galaxy 2). But it's not enough. This isn't a patch on Last Story, for me, and I can't see why it's been so well recieved. Anyone with me?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

LAIS

Re: Xenoblade Chronicles

Post by LAIS » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:11 am

I think it's by far better than The Last Story, I couldn't get into that game at all. I loved the plot in Xenoblade, along with Fallout 3 it's probably my favorite game of this generation.

I liked the combat system, it can be quite tactical. I hated the character of Rikki, but other than that it was a whole lot of fun.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:18 am

I agree last story was better but xenoblade is pretty good if you stick with it. I can only assume you are doing something seriously wrong if you are that stuck after grinding for 3 hours. Which bit are you on, metal face?

I don't remember having a specific healer character, my memory is a little fuzzy but I'm sure shulk has a healing art. You have attached HP gems to weapons and levelled up and attached extra arts? There are all sorts of menu's that they don't explain properly, a quick check opn gamefaqs may help. The game is all about exploration, once you get on the open road you will warm to it.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:25 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:I agree last story was better but xenoblade is pretty good if you stick with it. I can only assume you are doing something seriously wrong if you are that stuck after grinding for 3 hours. Which bit are you on, metal face?

I don't remember having a specific healer character, my memory is a little fuzzy but I'm sure shulk has a healing art. You have attached HP gems to weapons and levelled up and attached extra arts? There are all sorts of menu's that they don't explain properly, a quick check opn gamefaqs may help. The game is all about exploration, once you get on the open road you will warm to it.
Sharla was my healer, I'd tend to take control of Shulk and destroy everyone with the Monado, but sometimes it was easier to take control of Sharla and look after everyone from a distance. Melia could be quite a useful character too once you get her, and figure out how to use her best.

EDIT: On a sidenote, I didn't realise Melia is voiced by the girl who plays Dr Who's new companion, just read the wikipedia page and found that one out.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Do you ever play turn based J-RPGs Killbot? Be interested in hearing your thoughts on Final Fantasy XII, a very similar title to Xenoblade.

Xenoblade is fantastic, pure and simple really. Everyone I know who has played through it has had no such problems.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Yet to complete it but i think its great! Combat is really cool and like Nakamura said, has similarities to FFXII. I have put around 30hours into it but have been distracted by some other games recently so need to get back into it. Yet to play The Last Story or Pandoras Tower.

Each to their own. Considering its supposed to be huge id probably go onto something else if its irritating you this early on. I cant get on with Mass Effect despite the hype and love for it. perhaps its the same for you with Xenoblade

Flint

Post by Flint » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:07 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:I agree last story was better but xenoblade is pretty good if you stick with it. I can only assume you are doing something seriously wrong if you are that stuck after grinding for 3 hours. Which bit are you on, metal face?

Yeah I had trouble with Xenoblade until I realised you had to level up your arts.
It took me even longer to realise your party members could give each other gifts.

jcdentont1000

Post by jcdentont1000 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:15 am

Yeah, afraid I have to disagree with OP. I'd agree it is possibly over-hyped to an extent, but in terms of the Wii and its capabilities - coming as late as it did to the party - I think it is a real gem. Also, switching off the English dub is an absolute must, I found the acting atrocious.
XBox 360 Gamertag: jcdentont1000
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: TBC (Now, where did I leave my 3DS..)

"Trust no one. Question everything."

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:02 am

The first few hours of play did not leave me too impressed either. But I persevered, and, having notched up over 100 hours (according to my Wii) , look back on it as a great game. The characters are not the most interesting agreed (though I'd say the voice acting isn't bad- excepting that annoying Cockney Mechon and the excrutiatingly bad Riki), but the game has probably the most vast, stunning and beautiful world I have ever seen in an RPG. The storyline too, gets far more interesting the further into the game you go.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:05 pm

jcdentont1000 wrote: Also, switching off the English dub is an absolute must, I found the acting atrocious.
Funnily enough i found the voice acting to be some of the best in a JRPG. Great that they decided to take a more British approach. a lot of the time you can usually hear characters from popular anime and kids shows in localized japanese titles (like the legend that is Johnny Yong Bosch!)

Thinking back on the game there is a lot of content that is poorly explained. Creating gems was something i couldnt get my head around. Most of the other bits i found through exploring the menus on my own.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:19 pm

'WOT A BUNCH A JOKERZ'
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:16 pm

'NOW IT'S REYN TIME'

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:21 pm

I found the voices to be ok overall, just the stupid battle quips.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:32 pm

nakamura wrote:I found the voices to be ok overall, just the stupid battle quips.
Speaking of battle quips what about the classic funny ones in Rogue Galaxy:

Zegram - 'DON'T YOU EVER TRY TO SHOW OFF IN FRONT OF ME AGAIN YOU DAMN BEASTS!' :lol:
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:16 am

Yeah I remember those, not too bad actually!