Starting a Magazine

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

retroreviewgames

Starting a Magazine

Post by retroreviewgames » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:57 pm

This one is mainly for the Retro Gamer admin guys but I am sure many of you have some great advice as well. I am a big fan of retro gamer and was wondering what advice you guys would give about starting a magazine??? Our website has been going strong now for a few good months and we are looking to get our teeth into something else. With both a typesetter and web designer in house we have the skillset and we have already started on the design and a few interviews but getting the backing is quite difficult when you are just starting out. Any help and advice would be much appreciated 8)

The Laird

Re: Starting a Magazine

Post by The Laird » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:20 am

retroreviewgames wrote:This one is mainly for the Retro Gamer admin guys but I am sure many of you have some great advice as well. I am a big fan of retro gamer and was wondering what advice you guys would give about starting a magazine??? Our website has been going strong now for a few good months and we are looking to get our teeth into something else. With both a typesetter and web designer in house we have the skillset and we have already started on the design and a few interviews but getting the backing is quite difficult when you are just starting out. Any help and advice would be much appreciated 8)
What will Pixel Nation, Retro Fusion and of course Retro Gamer you will have plenty of competition and need some deep pockets if you want to attract the best writers as many of us already work on several publications (I work on 4 myself)

There is always Kickstarter but everyone seems to be doing that these days so it's starting to lose its appeal.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:10 am

Good luck in the venture, although Retro Gamer is of course the best!! :wink:
Press Play On Tape

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Wish lots of people would combine to create a magazine, instead you get lots of seperate ones which could be so much more 'powerful' if they all teamed together.

Starting a magazine sounds a dream idea but it'll be tricky as anything, surely talk to an existing one and help make that even more popular and better etc ?

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:58 pm

Be cautious about launching a print magazine. Even successful ones struggle to hit over 30k subscribers. A far cry from magazines regularly hitting over a quarter mill. Hell, "niche" titles like Crash hit 100k in their heyday, yet today titles struggle to find a fifth of that audience.

I wish you every success in the world, but it's going to be a uphill struggle. A quarterly print magazine that serves your existing audience might be worth looking into? You might find people complaining for it on iPad though! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.