R.I.P Nintendo Gamer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

The Beans

Re: R.I.P Nintendo Gamer

Post by The Beans » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Evermore wrote:I think there's a big kid in all of us to be honest. Who on here wouldn't like a quick play with a censored-off-sized Hornby train-set like? :lol:
Me.
But make it a gigantic Scalextric and I'm there! :D
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:43 pm

I use to like Edge but I eventually found I was just buying it for RedEye, Biffo and Retrospective so stopped buying it.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 pm

The Beans wrote:
Evermore wrote:I think there's a big kid in all of us to be honest. Who on here wouldn't like a quick play with a censored-off-sized Hornby train-set like? :lol:
Me.
But make it a gigantic Scalextric and I'm there! :D
Now your talkin'! 8)

I remember wanting the figure-of-eight 8-player Formula 1 Scalextrics as a kid - awesome. Had to make do with a regular two car track, but it was great all told.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:56 pm

killbot wrote: Perhaps this is why I love Nintendo. At events like E3 most developers, when questioned about why they've included a particular feature, will engage in a dry, academic discussion about risk/reward and strategic thinking. Nintendo's people - asked the same question - usually stare back blankly as if they're struggling to understand the question, then say - as if it were the most obvious thing in the world - 'Because it's fun'.
This is fan nonsense of course. Sometimes I feel for the Nintendo enthusiasts on here. You often seem to be a bit under siege at times.
But posting daft stuff like the above, the fan guff that has no basis in fact and is just pulled out of thin air and is the way you think something should be so it must be because it's Nintendo, well sometimes I think you ask for all you get tbh. You're simply making it up here. You're selling a fantasy to keep yourself warm and fuzzy.
Go back through any E3 reportage and see developers and publishers absolutely gushing enthusiastic bollocks about the games they have on show irrespective of the platform. And also see Nintendo responding to questions about products with the same corporate techno patter as everybody else.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Going off on a slight tangent, is anyone else here old enough to remember Total! magazine- The first Nintendo only mag from Future. Now that could be quite childish- the writers were Steve 'misery guts' Jarratt and Andy 'Thicky' Dyer; Words like 'gimp' and 'flongy' were used quite alot- that sorta thing. But (probably partly due to the fact that I was a child back then) I loved that magazine.

That and Super Play I bought every month without fail. In fact in the SNES era, I bought loads of not so good magazines as well- Super Action, SNES force, Super Pro etc.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:30 pm

The Beans wrote:
killbot wrote: Perhaps this is why I love Nintendo. At events like E3 most developers, when questioned about why they've included a particular feature, will engage in a dry, academic discussion about risk/reward and strategic thinking. Nintendo's people - asked the same question - usually stare back blankly as if they're struggling to understand the question, then say - as if it were the most obvious thing in the world - 'Because it's fun'.
This is fan nonsense of course. Sometimes I feel for the Nintendo enthusiasts on here. You often seem to be a bit under siege at times.
But posting daft stuff like the above, the fan guff that has no basis in fact and is just pulled out of thin air and is the way you think something should be so it must be because it's Nintendo, well sometimes I think you ask for all you get tbh. You're simply making it up here. You're selling a fantasy to keep yourself warm and fuzzy.
Go back through any E3 reportage and see developers and publishers absolutely gushing enthusiastic bollocks about the games they have on show irrespective of the platform. And also see Nintendo responding to questions about products with the same corporate techno patter as everybody else.
Well, I know Reggie can trot out a corporate line with the best of 'em. It's the people on the more creative end I was referring to - Miyamoto in particular doesn't tend to get into detailed, technical discussions about why he does things the way he does them. He just has an instinctive 'feel' for what's fun and what isn't. I've never, ever heard Miyamoto talk openly about game theory in the way other devs do, even though his work is such a big influence for so many people.

It's not that I think Nintendo's games are superior because of their reluctance to talk about the underpinning theory, just that I don't like that dry, academic discussion about how my favourite games are made - for the same reason that I don't watch making of-docs when I buy a movie on DVD. I want to see the wizard, not the scrawny little sod pulling his strings.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:13 pm

Incidentally, did anyone pick up on the news in the final issue of NG that the US Nintendo Power is also biting the dust? Despite a pretty healthy circulation of over 400,000, Nintendo just don't see any future for the mag long-term and are folding it. A sad indictment of the state of print journalism.

TBH the state of the US games mag scene is lamentable. I was in New York last year and most of the city's newsstands carried no games mags whatsoever. I never saw a single copy of Nintendo Power while I was over there, GamePro seemed to be the only mag that anyone stocked but even that wasn't widely available.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:50 am

Yep, read that on Twitter back in late August. Gamepro also finished last December.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:23 pm

Richtendo wrote:Going off on a slight tangent, is anyone else here old enough to remember Total! magazine- The first Nintendo only mag from Future. Now that could be quite childish- the writers were Steve 'misery guts' Jarratt and Andy 'Thicky' Dyer; Words like 'gimp' and 'flongy' were used quite alot- that sorta thing. But (probably partly due to the fact that I was a child back then) I loved that magazine.

That and Super Play I bought every month without fail. In fact in the SNES era, I bought loads of not so good magazines as well- Super Action, SNES force, Super Pro etc.
I used to buy Total but for some reason I got rid of them all bar two issues.

Would love to have them in original form again.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Morkin wrote:Yep, read that on Twitter back in late August. Gamepro also finished last December.
Ha! The issue I bought may have been the last one ever then.

I remember a mate of mine won a subscription to Diehard Gamefan in the mid-90s. Can't remember why a UK resident ended up winning a sub to a US mag, but hey. He didn't want them so he gave most of them to me - I binned them years ago but I thought it was an okay mag. It always smelled weird, though. Apparently that's also recently bitten the dust (having already been canned in 2000 and relaunched a few years later). To be honest it looks as if the US is ahead of the curve in terms of print media closing down. Doubtless in a year or two there won't be any print mags left on this side of the pond, either.

Syntesis

Post by Syntesis » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Games magazines are completely unsustainable in the US. The country is so big that it's a distribution nightmare. Needs tons of adverts to have a chance of breaking even and sustained advertiser interest. Journalistic integrity is compromised as they are completely dependent on advertising and these companies might pull their ads if one of their games gets too harsh a review.

Game Informer only works because it's owned by Gamestop and they have massive retail presence.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:16 pm

Syntesis wrote:Games magazines are completely unsustainable in the US. The country is so big that it's a distribution nightmare. Needs tons of adverts to have a chance of breaking even and sustained advertiser interest. Journalistic integrity is compromised as they are completely dependent on advertising and these companies might pull their ads if one of their games gets too harsh a review.

Game Informer only works because it's owned by Gamestop and they have massive retail presence.
US game sites are not much better either as their journalistic integrity got compromised and thrown into the limelight years ago, remember the Jeff Gerstmann incident on GameSpot, makes you wonder about many of the big US game sites, cant stand IGN, GameSpot etc

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:30 pm

I got a chance this evening to sit down with the last issue of Nintendo Gamer and gave it a good read through. Its depressing, full of errors, and a real shame that it had to end.

Whilst looking through all the covers of the publication previous, it all came flooding back to me how important this magazine lineage was to me growing up. I think I enjoyed them just as much as the games themselves! :shock: I used to re-read reviews over and over. I knew each issue of N64 Magazine inside out. I remember the actually buying of some issues and what they meant to me at the time.

I will say this though - I did not like N Gamer. I felt it was way too busy, too cluttered, and some of the stuff in it was crap. Looking at some of its covers can be cringe-worthy - there are loads with Raving Rabbids on and other censored that shouldn't grace a cover of any respectable publication. I don't think I bought more than a handful of it during it six years on newstands. The free gifts and all that were very off-putting. I'm sure the writing was still very good, but it just wasn't for me all round. Perhaps the slightly dodgy early years of the Wii were to blame for its questionable design.

But then..... last year they brought out Nintendo Gamer. I don't know why, but I bought the first or second issue one day and found it to be very good. I continued to buy it and it really grew on me. Sure, it wasn't the same as the magnificent N64 and NGC magazines, but it was getting there. A couple of months ago I found myself looking forward to Nintendo Gamer more than Games TM, or even Retro Gamer, it was that good. It was funny, informative, passionate and thoroughly enjoyable to read. It wasn't immature, but it wasn't dull either - it was very much like Nintendo gaming to be honest - perfect for everyone. The games that were focused on were all top titles too, and the retro coverage was the best ever in a dedicated Nintendo mag. A huge improvement I feel over its predecessor.

Sadly however, the redesign just wasn't enough. Clearly people ignored the revamp and assumed it was still a bit like N Gamer at it worst. I'm genuinely sad to see it go now in all honesty, but maybe Future will create a new independend magazine focusing on the Wii U when it arrives? If not, I reckon a lot of the best Nintendo Gamer staffers will go to the Official Nintendo Magazine - but they won't have the same freedom that they once enjoyed in the unoffiical magazines clearly.

A sad time for Nintendo gamers, and video games magazines in general. Sometimes I hate the effing internet!! :D

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Evermore wrote:
I will say this though - I did not like N Gamer. I felt it was way too busy, too cluttered, and some of the stuff in it was crap. Looking at some of its covers can be cringe-worthy - there are loads with Raving Rabbids on and other censored that shouldn't grace a cover of any respectable publication. I don't think I bought more than a handful of it during it six years on newstands. The free gifts and all that were very off-putting. I'm sure the writing was still very good, but it just wasn't for me all round. Perhaps the slightly dodgy early years of the Wii were to blame for its questionable design.

...I reckon a lot of the best Nintendo Gamer staffers will go to the Official Nintendo Magazine - but they won't have the same freedom that they once enjoyed in the unoffiical magazines clearly.
That's a shame that you didn't like NGamer. Personally, in it's first year-eighteen months, I thought it was at least as good as N64 Magazine in it's prime. I don't think it was ever quite the same once Greener and the original art team had left in early 2008 - despite the best efforts of the replacement staff, the quality unfortunately dipped. The way in which the magazines were to be packaged in multicoloured poly bags was, frankly, embarrassing. That said, according to Martin Kitts, it has to be remembered that NGamer had it's budget significantly cut during this time. Looking back, I think they did well, all things considered.

Matthew Castle told his Twitter followers that, though none will be joining the ONM team in the immediate future, some will contribute on a freelance basis (as was the case with Nintendo Gamer; the impression I get is that they had no full-time staff working exclusively on Nintendo Gamer in it's final few months, and only a handful of freelancers).

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Evermore wrote:... N Gamer. I felt it was way too busy, too cluttered, and some of the stuff in it was crap. Looking at some of its covers can be cringe-worthy - there are loads with Raving Rabbids on and other censored that shouldn't grace a cover of any respectable publication.
Why the Raving Rabbids hate?
... Nintendo Gamer... It wasn't immature
Evidence quoted from the magazine posted in this thread from those who enjoyed the magazine would suggest otherwise. You're entitled to your opinion, of course.
A sad time for Nintendo gamers, and video games magazines in general. Sometimes I hate the effing internet!! :D
I'm a Ninty gamer and couldn't give a damn this magazine has ceased to exist. So, "sad" for the measly few Ninty gamers who cared enough to actually bother buying the magazine, perhaps. Sad for video games magazines in general? How did you arrive at that conclusion then? The internet, for all its ills, has been a boon for gamers in my opinion. I suppose it's easier to blame "the internet" than to reflect on the possible reasons for why Ninty magazines sell so poorly compared to nearly all PS3 and Xbox 360 magazines (as shown by those sales figures posted earlier in the thread) though. :wink:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac