R.I.P Nintendo Gamer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Liamh1982

Re: R.I.P Nintendo Gamer

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:07 am

^ Nail on the head there.
What a 12-year-old finds "mature" (blood, swearing, boobs) surely should not take precedence over level design, a carefully designated difficulty curve, a well thought out control scheme, solid gameplay.
No matter how much candy-floss, flounce and tinsel they're wrapped in, these aspects make a game feel more mature than the contents of "Sexy F*ck Bloodbath LXVIII" or whatever the next bit of Emperor's New Clothes schlock comes along.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:10 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Precisely. Ninty mags aimed at typical Ninty consumers, i.e. teens and pre-teens.
DreamcastRIP wrote:
killbot wrote:You have a detailed breakdown of how many sales those magazines made and how the demographic broke down?
Common sense should tell you Ninty magazines are not primarily targeted at adults. Yes, some adult males who still still have a thing for Mario and all the other cutesy Ninty stuff that they've not moved on from since childhood may buy such magazines too. If you believe yourself and the likes of Evermore represent the majority of those buying Ninty mags for themselves then I fear you're deluding yourself.
Rubbish, i'd wager Margaret Thatchers hairy left bollock that you have never read Nintendo Gamer Magazine. Because if you had you would know that the mag isn't aimed at the teen market, but rather a more mature, more Nintendo fan scentric audience. The writing in the magazine's fun yet a more mature read, kind of like RG, with a strong focus on old retro games that appeared on Nintendo's old systems, not just Nintendo's own titles, but any and all games that happen to appear on the NES, SNES, N64 & GameCube. It was the matureness of this publication and its mix of retro stuff throughout that drew me and alot of others to buy it.

Roo

Post by Roo » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:57 pm

retrosofer wrote:Rubbish, i'd wager Margaret Thatchers hairy left bollock that you have never read Nintendo Gamer Magazine. Because if you had you would know that the mag isn't aimed at the teen market, but rather a more mature, more Nintendo fan scentric audience. The writing in the magazine's fun yet a more mature read, kind of like RG, with a strong focus on old retro games that appeared on Nintendo's old systems, not just Nintendo's own titles, but any and all games that happen to appear on the NES, SNES, N64 & GameCube. It was the matureness of this publication and its mix of retro stuff throughout that drew me and alot of others to buy it.
I'd also bet one of Margaret Thatcher's hairy baws that DreamcastRIP hasn't read the mag, and I'd definitely agree that Nintendo Gamer was a more-mature read not aimed solely at the teenage market, but it's a sin that, for everything they tried, it clearly didn't draw a lot of other to buy it! I resent Future Publishing for pulling the plug so close to the Wii U's launch (which would surely have inspired an upturn in sales), but from everything I've read on Twitter, online and been told on the NGamer Forums, it just wasn't profitable to run, even after the NGamer budget had been gradually slashed in the last few years. We've still got the excellent website, though.

Incidentally, that's me on p.124 of the final issue, with the photo of Mario. Hello.

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:15 pm

I bought nearly every copy of Super Play back in the day (yes I'm old). Never owned an N64 or GC so didn't buy those mags. I started buying Nintendo Gamer about a year ago when they changed the format (to be honest I was always put off before then because the bag it came in- with free gift- did make it look like a kids magazine on the outside, if not on the inside). It's a shame as it's obviously aimed at an older Nintendo fan than the Official magazine is. The Official mag is ok, but is a bit bland- at least compared to the ONM podcasts- which are mostly awesome. If they could give the magazine a bit more of the tone of the podcast then it would be a better read. Presumably being the 'official' magazine, they are prevented from doing so and maybe the powers that be (whichever powers they are) don't pay much attention to the podcasts.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:30 pm

retrosofer wrote:Rubbish,
Always a good way to open a reply that's guaranteed to elicit a calm response. :shock:
i'd wager Margaret Thatchers hairy left bollock that you have never read Nintendo Gamer Magazine.
Classy.
Because if you had you would know that the mag isn't aimed at the teen market, but rather a more mature, more Nintendo fan scentric audience.
Having seen a few of the magazine's covers and some of the text on those covers it would very much appear the publication was primarily targeted at teens and pre-teens.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:38 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Having seen a few of the magazine's covers and some of the text on those covers it would very much appear the publication was primarily targeted at teens and pre-teens.
Brilliant. :D
Sometimes, the stuff on this forum, what people base their arguments on, it's just too funny. :lol:

Actually judging a book by its cover. I mean really. :lol:

We should have forum Awards for posts at the end of the year. I think it'll be a great laugh. :D
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:00 pm

The Beans wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Having seen a few of the magazine's covers and some of the text on those covers it would very much appear the publication was primarily targeted at teens and pre-teens.
Sometimes, the stuff on this forum, what people base their arguments on, it's just too funny. :lol:

Yes, because magazines with headlines such as,

* "My virtual girlfriend shame!", and text such as

* "Pikachu fights feudal warlords in the maddest DS game yet!"

... are clearly aimed at the more mature gamer! :roll: :lol:

[/quote]We should have forum Awards for posts at the end of the year. I think it'll be a great laugh. :D [/quote]
We should! :mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm an adult and I'd buy a magazine with Pikachu on the cover a long time before I'd buy anything featuring... let's see... Marcus Fenix (is that his name? Have I got that right? Are they serious?)

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:16 pm

The Beans wrote:

DreamcastRIP wrote:Yes, because magazines with headlines such as,

* "My virtual girlfriend shame!", and text such as

Come on dude seriously, you cant honestly be saying that NGM is aimed at kids and teenagers based on a front cover :lol: , thats pretty blinkered, try opening one of the magazines and reading the content inside.

I have bought Nintedo Gamer mags and read them through, i say its aimed at an older more mature, and more Nintendo core fan sentric audience because i have read the magazines through for myself, and i can say that based on all that i have read and seen within the magazine and know to be true. You base your argument on a front cover, try reading the magazine first, otherwise it is judging a magazine by its cover. A cover is a cover at the end of the day, (though i think NGM covers are pretty cool,) its the content inside thats important, and its the content inside that draws the demographic.
Last edited by retrosofer on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:16 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:"My virtual girlfriend shame!", and text such as

Seriously, that cover looks like any other game magazine tbh. It's almost generic in its form. An article titled "My virtual girlfriend shame!" could just as easily be aimed at twenty-somethings as teens. It could be aimed at anybody. Without actually reading the article we'll never know. The Pikachu thing is just the same as any other game header. Your opinion that Pokemon is a kids game is maybe clouding your judgement. Your obvious anti-Nintendo stance makes you see things through twisted glass I reckon.
It's still damn funny that you're basing your view of the magazine and its readership on covers like the one you posted though. I genuinely lolled.
At least buy a copy and read it before you wade in with nothing more than a flimsy opinion founded on years of prejudice. it's the least you could do if you want to remain even slightly credible. No wonder you're being accused of anti-Nintendo bias. You make a rod for your own back. :lol:
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Perhaps if Link was sticking his sword up Mario's rectum that would be more adult.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:46 pm

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:54 pm

The Beans wrote:Seriously, that cover looks like any other game magazine tbh. It's almost generic in its form.
Seriously, it does not.
An article titled "My virtual girlfriend shame!" could just as easily be aimed at twenty-somethings as teens. It could be aimed at anybody. Without actually reading the article we'll never know.
If you believe the headline "My virtual girlfriend shame!" isn't printed on the front cover of a gaming magazine with the aim of attracting teen and pre-teens then that's your prerogative.
The Pikachu thing is just the same as any other game header.
No, it's not.
Your opinion that Pokemon is a kids game is maybe clouding your judgement.
Are you claiming Pokémon is not primarily a kids' game then?
Your obvious anti-Nintendo stance makes you see things through twisted glass I reckon.
Factually incorrect and your reckoning is wide of the mark.
... years of prejudice
Your hatred runneth over! You really overreached your grasp this time so thanks for that pearler as I lol'd! :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:57 pm

I've never read that magazine so i dont know whether its aimed for kiddies inside the mag or isnt, the cover does look mostly generic apart from granted that crap about virtual girlfriend etc. But again i havent seen the inside so i wont base it just on the odd headline.

Some of my non-gaming friends think all gaming is for kids and laugh at me playing games, but if they havent tried some of the games i dont think they can give a fair view.

Do find Nintendo often has more 'younger' style graphics but if the gameplays great i dont care, eg I dont mind playing Mario Kart as Princess Peach!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:02 pm

psj3809 wrote:... Do find Nintendo often has more 'younger' style graphics but if the gameplays great i dont care, eg I dont mind playing Mario Kart as Princess Peach!
Me neither! Then again, I don't also lay in bed at night dreaming of Wario like the forum's chief Ninty cheerleader has admitted to doing! :lol:
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.