R.I.P Nintendo Gamer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ALK

R.I.P Nintendo Gamer

Post by ALK » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:03 am

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/08/3 ... -to-close/

Well, I guess gaming magazines are going the way of the dodo pretty much, but sucks to see the only magazine I still sub-ed to die out. :( Been reading and buying since N64 issue 30.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

speedlolita

Re: R.I.P Nintendo Gamer

Post by speedlolita » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:06 am

Loved them through the NGC era. RIP.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:32 am

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:08 am

That is absolutely awful news :x Nintendo Gamer is probably the most enjoyable read on the newstands today. I could go into a massive diatribe right now but I will spare everyone from that. In short - today's magazines, or what are left of them, are just PR vessels, with little passion or original content. Nintendo Gamer had its fair share of PR, but it was full of character, and had great reviews and features. A sad day, especially for the fact that it is the end of the Superplay lineage.

Nintendo Official Magazine is getting a revamp according to its latest issue. Hopefully that will incorporate a little bit more of Nintendo Gamer's magic. Still, its unlikely to be the same :(

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:32 am

Evermore wrote:... Nintendo Gamer is probably the most enjoyable read on the newstands today.
Er, no.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:43 am

A real shame. Nintendo Gamer has a far more mature style of writing and humour and its scores seem less bias than Official Nintendo Mag. They only just got a revamp aswell with a section dedicated to retro Nintendo games.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:46 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:A real shame. Nintendo Gamer has a far more mature style of writing and humour and its scores seem less bias than Official Nintendo Mag. They only just got a revamp aswell with a section dedicated to retro Nintendo games.
Yeah the retro coverage was really good. I loved all the lists of the best games per format too. The Vault was excellent.

I didn't like the world of Nintendo stuff at the start of the magazine though, or whatever it was called. Other than that though it was really well written - it was no Superplay or N64 Magazine in their day, but it was my favourite mag of recent times.

I'm not sure how profitable it was or what its circulation was on a monthly basis, but I do think it is strategic decision to amalgamate both Nintendo publications into one, so as to reduce costs and to increase ONM's readership.

I hope we don't end up with just official publications in the newsagents. And all this movement online for mags is a pain - I much prefer a tangible product in the hand.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:17 pm

I've been reading since the Super Play days so naturally I'm disappointed with this news.

Apparently... "The final issue is a special tribute issue, containing a feature focusing on every cover and iteration of the magazine from that first issue of Super Play all the way up to 2012.

It will also feature a special cover illustrated by Wil Overton, the long-time illustrator who created all the amazing cover art in Super Play and N64 Magazine and returns to end the magazine the same way it began – with a fantastic, eye-catching image.

Subscribers should get a letter tomorrow, ahead of the final issue. It’ll explain what will happen to their subscriptions. Their magazine should follow, with an exclusive subscriber-only cover, again illustrated by Wil Overton. For non-subscribers, the issue is on sale next week, 6 September."

At least they're able to go out in style!

I really enjoyed the Super Play and N64 Magazine days, NGC was good for a while too before having a dip in quality towards the end of the Gamecube's life before coming back with N-Gamer which was fairly good. But I think they really got the tone spot on with Nintendo Gamer... I loved the retro content.

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:30 pm

Take PSM3 down next please, god awful rubbish for around a year now.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:48 pm

I only started collecting it since the revamp, but I've not missed an issue since. Vastly better than the official mag (which I suppose I'll have to start buying again now it's the only game in town) and a real passion for retro stuff. Personally I think the most recent iteration of the mag has suffered from being launched into a pretty stagnant pool. Wii and DS games are drying up and the Wii U is still some time off yet, meaning that the mag is largely only covering 3DS and they've sunk into a bit of a rut, often previewing the same few Wii U launch games over and over because there's nothing else to talk about. The covers have been a bit uninspired too - too often just a generic pic of Mario or Link, or a promo shot of a Wii U not doing much of interest. The Beat The Beat cover was brilliant, they needed more like that to really help them stand out on the news stands.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Syntesis

Post by Syntesis » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:09 pm

I really don't understand the logic in canceling this magazine less than 2 months before the launch of the Wii U when a lot of lapsed readers would be picking it up again. Not really their fault that the Wii has had a two year long drought that would make an N64 blush.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:12 am

Syntesis wrote:I really don't understand the logic in canceling this magazine less than 2 months before the launch of the Wii U when a lot of lapsed readers would be picking it up again. Not really their fault that the Wii has had a two year long drought that would make an N64 blush.
Fair point, tread water with some Wii U preview hype for a couple of months, then a big launch...it might be enough

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:57 am

Syntesis wrote:I really don't understand the logic in canceling this magazine less than 2 months before the launch of the Wii U when a lot of lapsed readers would be picking it up again. Not really their fault that the Wii has had a two year long drought that would make an N64 blush.
Yeah, this is what I don't get. Nintendo are smack in the middle of a transitional period, with Wii support winding down and Wii U still a couple of months off. Of course readership of Nintendo mags is going to dip. The test should have been whether the numbers went back up after the Wii U launch. If they hadn't then I could have understood the decision to can the magazine, but this seems desperately unfair.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:51 pm

batman877 wrote: I really enjoyed the Super Play and N64 Magazine days, NGC was good for a while too before having a dip in quality towards the end of the Gamecube's life before coming back with N-Gamer which was fairly good. But I think they really got the tone spot on with Nintendo Gamer... I loved the retro content.
I agree with all of that. The mag was on top form lately after a couple of slightly dodgy years.
killbot wrote:I only started collecting it since the revamp, but I've not missed an issue since. Vastly better than the official mag (which I suppose I'll have to start buying again now it's the only game in town) and a real passion for retro stuff. Personally I think the most recent iteration of the mag has suffered from being launched into a pretty stagnant pool. Wii and DS games are drying up and the Wii U is still some time off yet, meaning that the mag is largely only covering 3DS and they've sunk into a bit of a rut, often previewing the same few Wii U launch games over and over because there's nothing else to talk about. The covers have been a bit uninspired too - too often just a generic pic of Mario or Link, or a promo shot of a Wii U not doing much of interest. The Beat The Beat cover was brilliant, they needed more like that to really help them stand out on the news stands.
I agree with all of that, word for word :D

I must say that the constant previews of E3 games is grating across both Nintendo Gamer and the official publication. There's nothing new to report on them really. And if I see another Luigi's Mansion preview I will go nuts! Really want that effing game :evil:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:20 pm

killbot wrote:
Yeah, this is what I don't get. Nintendo are smack in the middle of a transitional period, with Wii support winding down and Wii U still a couple of months off. Of course readership of Nintendo mags is going to dip. The test should have been whether the numbers went back up after the Wii U launch. If they hadn't then I could have understood the decision to can the magazine, but this seems desperately unfair.
Do you think some sort of reader campaign, petition, whatever could save it? Maybe if there's enough noise from the consumers, perhaps it may save it. I agree the timing, right on the brink of a new console, is a crazy time to turf it