retro games thats stunned you at the time....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

8BitFreak

Re: retro games thats stunned you at the time....

Post by 8BitFreak » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:39 am

Super Mario World: I remember seeing it when at a friends house and thinking how atmospheric it was.

World of Illusion, Starring Mickey Mouse: Seen this running at a Traveling SEGA Truck (anyone remember them?) and just thought WOW!

Link to the past: Still has me to this day feeling engrossed. I borrowed this from a friend when it first was released and locked myself in my room for a whole weekend just wandering around and taking in its beauty.

I completely understand about today's games not looking so impressive. I still stumble upon an 8 bit game or 16bit game and think I didn't know the console was capable of that!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan on the Game Boy with Parallax scrolling had my jaw dropping as a kid too! :mrgreen:

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:42 am

8BitFreak wrote:Super Mario World: I remember seeing it when at a friends house and thinking how atmospheric it was.
Definately a great game. And still looks great. But atmospheric? :?

8BitFreak

Post by 8BitFreak » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:03 am

stvd wrote: Definately a great game. And still looks great. But atmospheric? :?
Oh yeah definitely, being underground and hearing the echoing of the coins collecting. I really had never heard anything like it at the time in a game.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:22 am

Zero Tolerance on the MD. It was the first FPS I played and was amazing. Similar props to Jurassic Park on the SNES.
Going Solo...................

ulala

Post by ulala » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:38 am

Let me have a think

Combat Lynx on the 48k Spectrum. To me it was a real-time full 3d helicopter simulator where i could pretend to pilot Airwolf. I even learned to play it with just my left hand on the keyboard after an accident left me in plaster. It was that good.

Grand Prix Circuit on the c64 - visually stunning for its day (with terrible load times)

Shadow of the Beast 2 on the Amiga. Great graphics, absolutely terrible and unplayable game.

Castle of Illusion on Mega Drive, there was nothing like it at the time with so much quality in the graphics and audio.

FFVII on PS1. The opening sequence and then realising it was waiting for me to move my character. Top stuff.

Rogue Squadron on the Gamecube - enough to buy the machine on the spot.

Green Bert

Post by Green Bert » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:07 pm

The graphics in Sanxion for the CBM64 amazed me at the time - still love the explosion when your ship 'dies'.

fahrenheit1987

Post by fahrenheit1987 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:21 pm

kiwimike wrote:Hmm...Blue Lightening on Lynx, Flashback on MD, The Pawn on C64, Streets of Rage (then SOR 2) on MD, FF7 on PS1, The original Tomb Raiders & Resident Evil on PS1.
All these games made me go wow at the time.

There were a couple of ZX81 games that came out in High res, bit hazy of them now but they made my jaw drop...Names please...?
The hi-res games I had on the ZX81 were 'Forty Niner' and 'Rocketman' from Software Farm. They started with a picture of the cosmic cockerel which was enough to amaze me, even without the fabulous games. There was also 'Micro Mouse Goes Debugging ' which came out before the Software Farm games, I think. I only discovered this game last year and, yes,it blew me away even now!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:59 pm

Blue Lightning (Lynx)
Dragon's Lair (Arcade)
Driller (Speccy)
Gran Turismo (PSone)
Halo (Xbox)
Light Force (Speccy)
Metropolis Street Racer (DC)
Rez (DC)
Shadow of the Beast (Amiga)
Sonic The Hedgehog (MD)
Soul Calibur (DC)
Star Wars (Atari, Arcade)
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GC)
STUN Runner (Lynx)
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:28 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote: Dragon's Lair (Arcade)
I forgot that one. Man that was an experience.

I'd probably have to nominate Marble Madness too. Deffo had that look you knew you couldn't get on a home machine.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:17 am

fahrenheit1987 wrote:
kiwimike wrote:Hmm...Blue Lightening on Lynx, Flashback on MD, The Pawn on C64, Streets of Rage (then SOR 2) on MD, FF7 on PS1, The original Tomb Raiders & Resident Evil on PS1.
All these games made me go wow at the time.

There were a couple of ZX81 games that came out in High res, bit hazy of them now but they made my jaw drop...Names please...?
The hi-res games I had on the ZX81 were 'Forty Niner' and 'Rocketman' from Software Farm. They started with a picture of the cosmic cockerel which was enough to amaze me, even without the fabulous games. There was also 'Micro Mouse Goes Debugging ' which came out before the Software Farm games, I think. I only discovered this game last year and, yes,it blew me away even now!
Cheers Mate, yes Forty Niner is the one I'm thinking of (and bought). Just amazing to think it was playing on my humble '81

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:54 am

I was a C64 owner and around mid-1988 I had my first direct contact with an Amiga, a friend loaded up Sword of Sodan and I was literally blown away :shock:
In the PC era, I had just bought my first PC in 1995 and The Need for Speed graphics (and FMVs) did really impress me. And much unlike SoS, it was very playable too 8)

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:58 am

Curse of Monkey Island, and then Wind Waker. The ability to "play" a cartoon just seemed beyond belief to me at the time.

Super Mario Advance wowed me simply because you were able to play something like that on a hand-held.

Jak and Daxter really blew me away, I was amazed at just how "real" the water effects were. Good times!

Wools

Post by Wools » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:02 pm

There’s been so many games that have done that for me, Sonic the Hedgehog, Virtua Fighter, Sega Rally, Tomb Raider, but the best has to be Super Mario 64.

I was in Toys ‘R Us with my Mum and although I loved Videogames, News only existed in monthly magazines, playground whispers and Digitiser was still a few years away from being discovered by me! Out of the blue, I saw a Huge Screen that had an alien looking controller sticking out of it. I ran over to the display and grabbed the controller before looking up at the screen…

If only I could accurately describe to you how I felt. A hyper real and neon bright Mario was looking back at me and talking. After a few presses of buttons, I was wondering around the most beautiful world I had ever seen. I could tip toe by lightly moving the stick and transition into a full run with no other button combination. The grassy hills gave way to a gigantic castle where I was able to jump through a painting and I was then onto the true level.

There were no directions, no aims, I was just free to explore this playground full of imagination and wonder. Mario 64 remains the most shocking and awe inspiring Videogame I have ever played. What makes me just a little bit sad is that I will probably never be able to recapture that wonder again. But no matter, this game retains the same power and hold over me as it did nearly 2 decades ago.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:47 pm

Interphase on the Atari ST - super-slick 3D that faded off into the distance, and on the title screen that impressive gourad-shaded spinning cube.

Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions on the XBox. When I first saw it on the monitors in HMV I thought it was some pre-rendered video for the music that was playing. The level of detail and intricate lighting and reflections was way ahead of anything I'd seen before, even considering the PS2 had been around for a year by then.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Streetfighter 2 on the snes that was the first time i remeber being blown away because i loved the coin op so much.

Also Creatures on the c 64 that was amazing for a c64 game.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink: