retro games thats stunned you at the time....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SJ_Sathanas

Re: retro games thats stunned you at the time....

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:47 pm

Several that have been named alreeady but Freespace 2 on PC from around 2001; and this mission especially;

http://youtu.be/n_ivTsuJUQk

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Rise of the Robots. It was jaw-dropping to look at...pity the game sucked. The same goes for Primal Rage.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:52 pm

Impossible Mission. Speech!

Hawkeye. Proper full-on parallax on the C= 64!

Shadow of the Beast. Sooooo many layers...

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Championship Manager 95/96 - It literally made Premier Manager 3 look like a game from the early learning center, took ages to load on my P75 with 4mb of Ram, but it was worth the wait.
Actua Soccer - First time I saw a football game be played in 3D, the atmosphere seemed incredible at the time.
Command and Conquer - Commanding large forces in real time and destroying the opposition, so much carnage on the screen at once.
Monkey Island - Never played a point and click adventure before this, and still haven't found one that beats the story line, humor and genius of this game.
Fifa 99 - Brilliant 3D match engine for the time and you could actually buy and sell players, hadn't seen that feature since SWOS!

Supernaut

Post by Supernaut » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:17 am

While I grew up with 8-Bit and 16-Bit gaming the one game I really remember that stunned me was when the first Gran Turismo came out. It just looked so real!

However it has not aged well. I can't believe it was considered to be so realistic back then too. GT4 (have not played 5) blows it out of the water and even that game is hardly the most realistic racing game around.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:23 am

Amiga - Shadow of the beast saw the demo running in Dixons stood there gob open!
Lynx - Warbirds - first 3d fight sim on a handheld.
CD32 - Microcosm - pretty crap game but amazing intro and per rendered graphics
PS1 - Wipeout - again jaw wide open in Sony centre on launch day...had to buy one!
N64 - Waverace - just the water alone was just stunning...
Dreamcast - Shenmue - a whole virtual world in amazing graphics that made any PS2 owner green with envy!

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:54 am

Super Castlvania 4 - The game is still jaw droppingly beautiful, from the levels to the music, just wow. The thought and creative design in the game, still puts most current gen games to shame

Super Mario World - I find this game to really utilize the colour output for the snes. It really was beautiful.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:55 am

Someone mentioned Zybex on the Atari 800... YES.

Spectrum - Chaos had me hooked from the word go, and I still play it from time to time now.
Arcade - Galaxian: Project Dragoon. I SOOOO want one of these. Oh, and Time Crisis 2. And Virtua Cop 3.
Saturn - Virtua Fighter 2, Fighters Megamix, and the Virtua Cop games. Oh, and Athlete Kings.
Dreamcast - EVERYTHING. Just EVERYTHING. But especially the intro sequence to Shenmue.
Wii - Resident Evil 4, Wii Sports Resort.

I think after that I stopped being impressed so much. Not sure why.
ImageImage

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:57 am

Fishsta wrote:Someone mentioned Zybex on the Atari 800... YES.

Saturn - Virtua Fighter 2, Fighters Megamix, and the Virtua Cop games. Oh, and Athlete Kings.
Dreamcast - EVERYTHING. Just EVERYTHING. But especially the intro sequence to Shenmue.
Your my new best friend
Last edited by samhain81 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:03 am

PC - Police Quest 3

It was probably the first of the newer "SCI" engine Sierra games I ever saw. They had it running on this awesome computer in the store, complete with VGA card, Sound Blaster and 21" monitor. It looked like the future. I could have sworn I was looking at an actual TV show.

:roll: Why do our brains do this to us?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:08 am

Hmm...Blue Lightening on Lynx, Flashback on MD, The Pawn on C64, Streets of Rage (then SOR 2) on MD, FF7 on PS1, The original Tomb Raiders & Resident Evil on PS1.
All these games made me go wow at the time.

There were a couple of ZX81 games that came out in High res, bit hazy of them now but they made my jaw drop...Names please...?

tux

Post by tux » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:07 am

the only two zx81 games i had were Savage pond and a flight sim*(optimistic at the time :lol: ) and even then both seemed ropey!
some one mentioned every dreamcast game ever looking good, then you my friend, have never had the joy of actively buying championship surfer becuase you are into the "sport" ,as i did. the appaling graphics were the only thing that took my mind away breifly from the almost non-exsistant game! but yeah the dreamcast collection on the whole did all look rather great :)

*cant rememeber the name, probably just called "flight sim" though knowing the early 80s!

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:26 am

1) Another World - graphics stunned me when I first played it (game weren't half bad, either)
2) TIE Fighter - someone's already mentioned X-Wing but this game blew me away even more; best of the series by far
3) Dark Forces - I'd played Doom but this game just hit me harder, I loved it
4) Sonic 2 - first game I saw on the Mega Drive and so, having been used to my CPC-464 and my Master System, I was well impressed
5) Marble Madness - even to this day I have the music and the visuals stuck in my head
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:52 am

Pitfall 2 (2600)
Knightlore (Spectrum)
Flashback, Virtua Racing (Megadrive)
Resident Evil (PS1)
MSR, JSR, Virtua Tennis, Shenmue (Dreamcast)
PGR (xbox)

Nothing after that really, I expect everything to, at least, look good.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:15 am

Seeing Rescue on Fractalus on the Atari 8 bit totally amazed me like nothing else in the 8 bit era, the only thing that ever came close was the first time I used an Amiga and the zoom in to the plane on F/A 18 Interceptor.
HADDOCKEN!