retro games thats stunned you at the time....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

tux

retro games thats stunned you at the time....

Post by tux » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:13 pm

i was trying to think of games that totally blew me away(graphically) when they first appeared in yester-year and re-visit them now to see if i can still appreciate them today and see why i was in such awe. nowerdays most/all games look stunning and graphics never seem to have that amazing shock value as its almost expected that everything looks jaw dropping. ones that sprang to mind:-

Ridge Racer ps1. i was lucky enough to have pre-ordered the game and console and it was plonked on my door the morning it came out. it was like having an arcade machine in my own home(on a 14inch Alba t.v at least). never did i think i would be so amazed by the way a home console game looked and it made all my SNES driving games look shocking at the time.

Donky Kong contry snes. 16bit was starting to die.....or so i was lead to believe but i still maintain that DKC would not have looked out of place on any of the 32bit machines that eventually kicked the 16bit crowds teeth out.

id be interested in the games that you guys thought were way beyond there time(mainly so i can re-vist them on an emulator and see what i think!). suggestions from the 8bit era would be great, as try as i might(and i did live through it), i cant remember thinking "wow" at much.

koopa42

Re: retro games thats stunned you at the time....

Post by koopa42 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Doom PC - It was Doom and I nearly fainted from the awesomeness of it

Resident Evil PS1 - I remember for as long as I could remember :oops: :oops: :oops: wishing I could play a game like being in a movie and for me? Resi was the first one to come close

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:42 pm

Brian Bloodaxe on the Spectrum stunned me, when it loaded then you thought it had crashed but suddenly the superb music kicked in that blew me away, loading Need For Speed or Road Rash for the first time on my 3DO.
Playing Secret of Mana with the sublime opening music whisking you away to another world, Shadowrun not having a clue what the game was about then the Bladerunner esque setting completely sucking you in. Hearing the stunning music for the first time in Monty on the Run, getting Super Star Wars on Jap import on the Snes to be blown away by it. Turtles Tournament Fighters being better than Street Fighter 2, buying Sensible Soccer on a whim and being very pleased I did. Hearing "Ice Cream" on Speedball 2 for the first time, being blown out of the water when I played 2020 Baseball on my mates Neo Geo.
Getting completely drawn in to Kings Quest VI on pc, the list is endless
"Time fades even legend..."

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:00 pm

STUN Runner on the Lynx - now that is stunning, a handheld doing a game no other system could handle.

Klax on the Lynx too - the best speech I had ever heard in a video jame, truly jaw dropping.

Blue Lightning on the Lynx also (spot the theme) - amazing sprite scaling and on a handheld too, no other machine did proper scaling until the Mega CD.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:33 pm

So many to choose from the 8 bit era

Slimeworld on Lynx Totally agree with the Lynx choices above, so I can only add this little gem, looks amazing, sounds amazing and plays like a dream.

R-Type 1 on PC Engine - Saw this running in Telegames, and just knew I had to own the machine, put down a deposit not knowing if I could afford the huge grey import cost, thankfully I had to wait weeks for it to come over, and just scraped the cost of the console and the game together, spent absolutely hours on it.

Starglider on Spectrum - hearing that perfect speech on the humble Spectrum after years of bleeps and whistles was a huge moment.

Cybernoid on Spectrum, this machine was not capable of graphics like this surely?

Starquake on Spectrum, in my view one of the finest games of the 8 bit period, staggering to look at, and play.

Impossible Mission on C64, played this round a mates, the one game that more than any other made me want a Commodore, had to wait years before I did though.

Watching Ultimate push the Spectrum further with every release, the great 16K games, then Atic Atac, Underwurlde, Sabre wulf, then Knight Lore, started to repeat themselves and wain a bit after that, but the early years were exhililarating!

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Ridge Racer PS1, Resident Evil PS1, Road Rash, NFS, yes, yes, yes and yes :)

Gran Turismo on the PS1 The mipp-mapping in the cars glass and body-work, the physics, the replays -- all looks pretty good even today.

Elite. Elite just arrived at the right time for me. I liked Scifi books, I liked Fighting Fantasy Books, I liked computers, I liked the Last Star Fighter, the future could do no wrong and Elite knocked my socks off :)

As a 3DO fan at the time, Alien Vs Predator on the Jaguar churned my stomach. It looked amazing. Perhaps too Amazing... :)

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Seeing Streets of Rage for the first time at home on my new Mega Drive. It blew me away at the time purely because I'd only ever owned a Commodore 64. The fact that the MD games loaded instantly, had arcade like graphics and you didn't need your pockets to be loaded with 10p's to play them was just totally awesome. All the top rated MD games I remember playing at the time were fantastic.

The last Mega Drive game to blow me away was Virtua Racing, the only MD racing game to have true 3D polygon graphics, it was cracking. Sadly, I couldn't afford to buy it at the time.

One of my friend's in 1993 had a PC, it was a 386SX I think. I remember the first time he showed me X-Wing on it and I was totally gobsmacked. It was the most advanced game I'd ever seen, plus the 3D was so smooth and quick. I remember my other mate also had a PC bought him by his parents, a more advanced 486 machine. On that I was introduced to games like Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Doom 2 and Tie-Fighter. It didn't get my own PC until two years later in 1996. The most amazing game on that machine was Wing Commander 3.

I remember being very impressed with the first PlayStation console, especially Gran Turismo, the graphics at the time were truly groundbreaking.
Last edited by MattyC64c on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:45 pm

Quake using a Voodoo card. Who can forget that jaw-dropping moment when they patched Quake to allow the enhanced 3dfx graphics?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Zybex on the Atari 800
Xenon on the Atari ST
Doom on the PS1
Mario 64 on the N64
Soul Calibur on Dreamcast

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:52 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Quake using a Voodoo card. Who can forget that jaw-dropping moment when they patched Quake to allow the enhanced 3dfx graphics?
Ooh yes, 3DFX Voodoo. I upgraded from my old PC and a PS1 to my first 'Gaming PC' a Pentium II 450Mhz with a 3DFX Voodoo graphics card. No games console could match it for a long time. That got me into classics like Unreal Tournament, Quake and Quake II and Kingpin - life of crime.

Consoles didn't catch up untill the PS2.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Ocarina of Time for me the bit where you first hit Hyrule field then much later when you steal Epona and jump the fence! I couldn't believe how amazing that was.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

tux

Post by tux » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:13 pm

impossible mission is an 8bit on i agree with actually :) . speech and everything if i recall correctly "stay a while.... stay forever". great animation too.

first speech i heard on spectrum was a bit of a "day" too. a game called "slightly magic" IIRC. it said the "slightly magic", i was impressed :oops:

Thinking about it, Panther(i believe it was called that, this is going back 20years-ish) on Atari 65xe. a diag scrolling shooter which actually looked half decent and had an epic soundtrack! stood out a mile from the rest of the dross on that system.

while i think about it(had my memory jogged from anouther thread), Shadow of the Beast on Amiga! genuinly amazed me. best version to(imo) the 13 layers of scrolling(of whatever it had), dropped my jaw and the music created the best atmosphere. didnt see many better looking games on the 500 in its lifetime.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:25 pm

Starwing - that opening sequence just blew me away

F-Zero - when you were used to the likes of Pole Position and Rad Racer, seeing this on a massive display screen in Dixons was like witchcraft

Donkey Kong Country - still a beautiful game today

Gran Turismo - in a time when you were lucky to have 10 different cars in a game, let alone real ones, having hundreds was a revelation

Half Life - A demo of this came with our new PC. AS a comparison, we'd just upgraded from a 386

Resident Evil - ok Alone In the Dark came first, but this was still something new, and genuinely scary

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Flashback blew me away on the megadrive, as did another world on the snes. Side Arms on the PCE was another stunner, I couldn't believe how accurate it was, the same with vigilante. Super star wars as another, mainly due to the amazing soundtrack.

Eat your nans pants

dste

Post by dste » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Donkey Kong Country - Looked and still looks absolutely brilliant.

Wave Race 64 - Those waves were stunning.

Mario 64 - Mario in 3D...
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!