What's your favourite retro chip-tune/game music?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kinkyspot

Post by kinkyspot » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:36 am

For you c64 music freaks (I know I am!) Download this superb music pack! http://www.hvsc.c64.org/

The Complete HVSC 45 pack contains some 37,000+ songs if I am not wrong... And it's only a 58 mb download!

RobinElvin

Re:

Post by RobinElvin » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:50 am

woody.cool wrote:
Shooto Gamer wrote:Amiga: My Fav system for music. I loved what this machine could do.
I'm in agreement with that - the Amiga had probably the best sound capability out of all the machines at that moment in time.
Pinball Dreams on the Amiga is another fav of mine - it's superb
I can't see that the Amiga had the best sound capability at least as far as synthesis goes. That honour has to go to the C64 every time. The Amiga had 4 channels for playing sampled sound so you could only play back what you had sampled. You could of course play with the sample buffers using the CPU and do some psuedo-synthesis but it isn't the same. I got rather tired of the same old Soundtracker stuff in the end but there were one or two tunes like Surburbia (Pet Shop Boys) in the early days although nothing to do with games!

Some I remember but I know there are more that I can't think of right now.

Chuck Rock (Amiga)
Defender of The Crown (Amiga)
Most C64 stuff especially Tim Follin (Ghosts n Goblins has atmosphere), Rob Hubbard (All!), Fred Gray, David Whittaker, Jeroen Tel (Turbo Outrun)

I think that the remixed C64 tunes prove the compositions stand up as works in their own right. See http://remix.kwed.org/
Other times I think it is the fact that the music is part of a happy and interactive experience and it complements the gameplay.
Rob

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:51 am

In no particular order....

Last Ninja 2 (64)
Skate or Die
Arcade Classics
Mega Apocalypse
Populous (Amiga)
Ghouls and Ghosts (Amiga, espically the game over tune)
Flash Gordon (64)

To name a few.

sephia

Post by sephia » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:22 pm

There is but only one... the intro music to Splatterhouse II on the MegaDrive...

That haunting sound captivated me, and I have since made a heavy metal version...

True awesomeness. :lol:

bolda

Post by bolda » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:22 pm

2 great chip tunes from the ST:

- Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters (title theme)
- Sabre Team (title theme)

Both created by Matt Furniss, an often underrated musician who doesn't get the credit he deserves alongside the Hubbards, Huelsbecks and Follins of this world!

Also, the music from the opening "level" of Shadow Of The Beast 2 always floated my button. :D
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:30 pm

bolda wrote:2 great chip tunes from the ST:

- Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters (title theme)
- Sabre Team (title theme)

Both created by Matt Furniss, an often underrated musician who doesn't get the credit he deserves alongside the Hubbards, Huelsbecks and Follins of this world!

Also, the music from the opening "level" of Shadow Of The Beast 2 always floated my button. :D
Good choices - seems that the ST has been overlooked in this thread a bit! The ST is a superb machine for music.

thl

Post by thl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:28 am

Some game tunes can be very dark, atmospheric and yet again epic. Take for example Super Castlevania IV on the SNES.

When playing the first stage, it sounded absolutely opened. The organ-like tune played some part during that stage, in which it suited very well for the scenery.

It's just brilliant. :D

buddha

Post by buddha » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:56 pm

The mighty Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway, David Whittaker all rule

Commando
IK+
Thing on a Spring
Thrust
Sanxion
Rambo 1st Blood etc etc

most have already been mentioned here. I remember loading these games up just to listen to the tunes.

Speaking of chip tunes I posted this in the off topic forum a while back. It's a compilation of contemporay chip tunes by 8bit peoples website (http://www.8bitpeoples.com/)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3469

It's got a great 4mat - he of amiga chip music scene - tune. I recomend checking it out.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:18 pm

Some of the 64's tunes that i think are brilliant are:
Ghostbusters.
Commando.
I.K.
Fist.
Fist II.
Rambo II. (You'll cream your pants over the loading tune).
Green Beret.
Master Of Magic & many more. God bless the SID chip!
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:04 am

1. Golden Axe II (Sega Megadrive)

2. Streets Of Rage II (Sega Megadrive)

3. Wipeout (Sega Saturn)

4. Sega Rally (Sega Saturn)

5. Midnight Resistance (Sinclair Spectrum)

These are my top five for the moment.

Cabal

Post by Cabal » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:05 pm

Streets of Rage 1: Fantastic tunes that were simple, clean and well thought out. Wasn't all that stuck on the two that followed - kinda messy.

Dragon Spirit: All the tracks were brilliant but the best by far was the one where you encounter the 3-headed hydra - the screen goes pitch black and then...awesome intro to what is a titanic battle with Zawell. Stunning musical tour de force!

X2(PS1): OMG - Team17 really pulled some awesome techno on this ultra-difficult shmup. I always turn the sound up for the first boss...fantastic.

Nightbreed(Spectrum): Only had music for the intro and cutscenes, but as soon as the tape loaded for the first time...WOW. Not many games on the spectrum came close to NB in music.

Panzer Dragoon(PC-CDROM): I throw in the towel to Sega. No matter what anyone says - this has the best game music of all time. If there was ever a game equal of the StarWars or Indiana Jones themes - this was it. First time I played level one I knew I heard something groundbreaking and beautiful. Sega - I salute you.

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:50 pm

Someone's going to shoot me down on this and to be honest I don't care, but my favourite \"suite\" of video game music is the soundtrack to the SNES version of F-Zero. I'm aware of the awesomeness of lots of different soundtracks but the one for F-Zero just gets me.

Attached picture demonstrates my feelings towards this soundtrack-

Also the music from Cinemaware's \"Wings\" is just beautiful.

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:06 pm

Xenon 2: Megablast, Magic Pockets and God's on the Amiga are the ones which spring to mind.

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:08 pm

Monty On The Run

Dragons Lair 2 - Escape From Singe's Castle

Roland On The Ropes
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:03 am

In-game, it has to be Magical Sound Shower from OutRun.

Title-screen music is between Quazatron and Ping Pong, both on the Speccy - both quite astonishing given the limited capabilities of the system.

Oh and, though I forget which game it is (one of the F1 titles, methinks, on the PS1), Joe Satriani's Summer Song is the best non-game tune to be used within a game. Simply brilliant. It should have won Top Gear's Best Driving Song, too! :)