PSP the system that just keeps giving.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:51 am

the PSP would have been approximately 8.6 times better if it had had dual sticks
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:27 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:the PSP would have been approximately 8.6 times more painful if it had had dual sticks
Corrected ;)

Its a minor omission. I rarely ever have need of dual analogue control for PS1 games, there's no reason why the PSP needs them either. There are more obvious faults that could be corrected before this omission.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MikeHaggar

Re:

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:15 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:the PSP would have been approximately 8.6 times better if it had had dual sticks
I'd be happy with one good one... or a better d-pad.

Devin

Post by Devin » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:27 pm

I'm quite tempted to get a PSP with MGS Portable Ops on the horizon and the opportunity to emulate many of my PSX games.

Can you lot recommend some good sites for information or FAQs on the firmware stuff, if permitted here of course! What sort of battery life do you get playing a PSX ISO on the PSP?
www.blackmoonproject.co.uk - Philips CD-i Gaming... Honest!

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:38 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TA-082

As long as you get a PSP without the TA-082, and with firmware 2.71 or less then you're good. Buying used is the best option.

There are downgraders for 2.80 without TA-082 and a downgrader for TA-082 mobo with 2.71 firmware PSP's too, but I wouldn't exactly recommend them...

And how long you can play with PSX ISO depends on how heavy loading there is in the game. Prolly 2-4 hours though...

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:48 pm

Devin wrote:I'm quite tempted to get a PSP with MGS Portable Ops on the horizon and the opportunity to emulate many of my PSX games.

Can you lot recommend some good sites for information or FAQs on the firmware stuff, if permitted here of course! What sort of battery life do you get playing a PSX ISO on the PSP?
Use google but:

DCEMU is pretty good - although the comments area is often flooded.

Afterdawn is also very good. They have FAQs and that sort of thing that cover most of stuff us intermediates want to do.

I use my PSP for 20 - 30 minutes of music playing, followed by 2 - 3 hours of train journey, sat playing UMD based games (there and back and a bit further sometimes ;) I've never had a problem - but the battery gets low. Usually about 20%(ish) left when I get home. ISOs I Imagine give you a bit longer because its not having to spin the disc. But the CPU is running hotter I guess - so err, I dunno.

I wouldn't get a new one. The new ones come with the tricky TA-082 main board or something, this, so I understand, is somewhat limiting. Get a second hand one. There are plenty of none intrusive ways of spotting a TA-082 model - it involves opening the UMD tray and having a peek! Also, the older ones, if you are lucky, come with 2.71 or lower firmware which is nice if you wish (for whatever reason) to regress back to 1.50 firmware version.

if you like the idea of MGS on the PSP - you will enjoy Killzone on the PSP. Mucho - fun.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:26 am

Devin wrote:with MGS Portable Ops on the horizon
Its out already. I don't like it, the controls are broken. No matter which config I use, I can't get comfortable with it. Syphon Filter was far superior imo.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Magic Knight

Post by Magic Knight » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:56 am

Killzone is much better than I expected and the control system is spot on.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:46 pm

Just a quick one, Devhook allows temporary change of firmware state, it only covers up to 2.71 at the mo but I would imagine with this revelation a new version is just around the corner...

Edit: Doh, have just checked and Devhook0.51 already supports it. Use this and theres no need to change your firmware...
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:47 am

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly before I go ahead.

I have a 1.5 firmware PSP and I use Devhook version 0.44

I need to upgrade the firmware to version 3.02.
Then I need to install and use Devhook 0.51.
This will allow me to play PSX games, all the emulators I currently have on (C64, Speccy, MD, SNES etc) as well as current UMD games.

Is this right? Thanks

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:10 am

Mantas wrote:I just want to make sure I understand this correctly before I go ahead.

This will allow me to play PSX games, all the emulators I currently have on (C64, Speccy, MD, SNES etc) as well as current UMD games.

Is this right? Thanks
No. Devhook v0.51 supports emulated firmware 3.02. Its a bit unstable though.

The alternative is to install Dark Alex's custom firmware 3.02. If you just install the normal 3.02, you'll lose all the abilities you want/need.

Magic Knight

Re:

Post by Magic Knight » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:04 am

Mantas wrote:I just want to make sure I understand this correctly before I go ahead.

Is this right? Thanks
From what I can tell there using Dark Alex's custom 3.02 firmware does away with the need for Devhook.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:35 pm

Magic Knight wrote: From what I can tell there using Dark Alex's custom 3.02 firmware does away with the need for Devhook.
It does and is a fantastically better idea than using devhook.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:01 pm

so with Dark Alex's custom 3.02 firmware you have all the firmware 3.02 features and you can still run fw 1.5 homebrew as well?
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:08 pm

Yes, except the location free player feature... But who uses that?

1.5 homebrew must be added to a \\GAME150\\ folder though, and not the normal \\GAME\\ folder (unless you swap it in the custom options)...