Giana Sisters - Kickstarter project

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nakamura

Re: Giana Sisters - Kickstarter project

Post by nakamura » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:01 pm

I have to say it's quite amusing that a game that started out as a Mario rip off now looks rather a lot like Sonic Generations.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:06 pm

nakamura wrote:I have to say it's quite amusing that a game that started out as a Mario rip off now looks rather a lot like Sonic Generations.

is that good or bad ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Well that's up to the individual really. I think it looks rather average myself. I don't like all the floaty jumping look to the gameplay myself.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:09 pm

snowkatt wrote:thats not very specific though
I posted a heads-up of the news available at the time. It's 'not very specific' because that was all the information available. I was only trying to be helpful and you're free to Google it yourself of course.
but liek i said i wil download the demo and see how long it takes before i will do my avgn impression again
By taking a dump on it like he did with his Jaguar CD video on Youtube? :o :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:11 pm

my google fu is weak

actually usually i just throw controllers and swear a lot
and since this is a platformer

i see much rage on the horizon :wink:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:15 pm

snowkatt wrote:my google fu is weak

actually usually i just throw controllers and swear a lot
and since this is a platformer

i see much rage on the horizon :wink:
Oh, GS:TD is a rage inducing fest all right! It gets annoyingly tricky the further one progresses. I suppose there's a chance they may dumb down the console release though.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:17 pm

fuckballs !

i doubt it though the ps3 and 360 are more then console enough to handle it even if they wheeze

now am i masochist enough to still want to try it ?
me and platformers are not a good combo

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:33 pm

snowkatt wrote:now am i masochist enough to still want to try it ?
me and platformers are not a good combo
That's me with video pinball games, lol. I'm hopeless at playing them but it doesn't seem to deter me from playing the Plants vs Zombies table on Zen Pinball 2 (Wii U) and going back further the likes of True Pinball (PS), Pokémon Pinball (GBC) and the two pinball games on Jaguar. Sorry for drifting off topic there.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:34 pm

actually i like pinball games
havent played one in ages though always felt that a pinbal game cant come close to an actual real pinbal machine

but try having that in your living room

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:57 pm

snowkatt wrote:actually i like pinball games
havent played one in ages though always felt that a pinbal game cant come close to an actual real pinbal machine

but try having that in your living room
I did once. Then I got married. :(

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:01 pm

felgekarp wrote:I remember the original version as being quite poor, is there anything in this newer version or any of the newer versions that offer any improvements?
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams plays quite differently to The Great Giana Sisters or any of the Super Maro Bros. rehashes. The main difference being the way one in required to switch between the two different 'types' of character on the fly where each has their own unique abilities.

Here's a gameplay video illustrating it albeit that the player moves at a fair old pace so it may not be all that apparent on first view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzzlpQt-e8

So, it's broadly similar in many ways to the original game but with a new play mechanic so central to the gameplay that it changes the game quite significantly. I hope that goes some way to helping answer your question! :D

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:20 pm

I think it still looks worth giving a miss based on that video.
Splink!

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:11 pm

felgekarp wrote:I think it still looks worth giving a miss based on that video.
Care to say why? It's not one of the best platformers I've played, but I'd say for the price, it's definately worth getting. My issues with it is that the difficult spikes up WAY too high near the end, and some more enviroments would be really nice. Other than that, I enjoyed it a lot more than I enjoyed Super Meat Boy. That game just sucked.

(And since I always try to explain my opinions, I hated all the poop jokes, I hated how the level design was basically nothing but spikes slathered everywhere, and I didn't like the controls much.)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:23 pm

There was nothing in the video that made it look like something I'd want to play.
Splink!