Name your 3 favourite wrestling games ever!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Freestyler

Re: Name your 3 favourite wrestling games ever!

Post by Freestyler » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:31 pm

My kids are hard into Wrestling now, so we've been watching all the Youtube Summer Slams, Royal Rumbles and WrestleFests! :lol:

I must say they're certainly entertaining. Once the kids got over the whole "Is it real?!?! Is it?!?" they settled down to enjoy them immensely.
I bought a job-lot of about 40 WWE figures and they like playing with them while watching the actual matchups onscreen.

Oh, and that Great Khali is a friggin' MONSTER! :shock: :lol:

Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Kahli the master of four moves (Walking, chop, plunge and errr)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:44 pm

DPrinny wrote:Kahli the master of four moves (Walking, chop, plunge and errr)
Also in that pic he's next to Mysterio LOLOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:51 pm

koopa42 wrote:
My youngest's favourite wrestler!

So far he has him in four outfits, but not the white one yet. Why are they so bloody expensive?!!? :shock:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:36 am

2) Smackdown!

The one with The Rock and The Hulk on the front cover, it's for the PS2. Probably the greatest wrestling game ever.
That's Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth!

And that's my:

Number 1: WWE Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth!
I loved it! I still think it's the best wrestling game I've ever played to this day.

2. EWR: I was hooked on this at the time, and it's still much more enjoyable than its TEW siblings by my estimation.

3. WWF Warzone: It's one that got played quite a lot when I was younger with friends, and although it's probably not the most accomplished wrestling game ever it retains a fond place in my heart.

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:43 am

Not a big fan of wrestling games but these are ones I would gladly play again today:

1. Rock n Wrestle (C64)
My first wrestling game and with such fun characters and easy controls it's excellent fun :)

2. Wrestlemania : The Arcade Game (Arcade)
Played this a lot in a newsagents opposite our local cinema and always enjoyed it multiplayer :)

3. WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 (PS3)
As a rule I don't like the current world of wrestling as I find the characters bland and boring but the sheer wealth of options and styles made this great fun!
Not played any of the later ones though?
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:36 am

Freestyler wrote:
koopa42 wrote:
My youngest's favourite wrestler!

So far he has him in four outfits, but not the white one yet. Why are they so bloody expensive?!!? :shock:
Show him some of Rey earlier matches. Back before he was told "You cant do that"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkZpESKePkA

I saw one of the old WCW War games tapes where he did something like that but was on the other side of the ring. (Off one rope onto turnbukle then off another rope into huricarana)
Current Rey is a shadow of his former self

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:41 pm

WWF Wrestlemania 2000 on the n64 is my favorite I think just edges out wwf no mercy simple because my copy of no mercy was faulty and I had to return it to eb stores twice as my save game kept corrupting. At the time my closest eb store was over 15 miles away!

WWE Allstars on ps3, the best wrestling game for over 10 years great simple gameplay and great roster of new and vintage wrestlers. Hope there is a sequel at some stage rather than tired rehash every November of svr or whatever it is called now.

Fire Pro Wrestling on snes, great game bought it on import, loved the camera angle as well.

Worst wrestling game for me was wwf attitude on n64. I loved the earlier game warzone but I found it nearly impossible to do any moves apart from punch and kick. Possibly the worst commentary ever from Vince Mcmahon and Jerry Lawler.
:mrgreen:

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:31 am

I know I've already rated my favourite Wrestling games, but I've just thought of a few "honourable" mentions...

Wrestle War (Arcade / Megadrive). Not brilliant, but some crazy and amusing special moves, like the 20ft-in-the-air Piledriver. I could never beat my mate Simon at it.

The Main Event (Arcade). Rare arcade game, only ever remember seeing it in Carousel Amusements in Newquay when they used to have their 10p play department upstairs. Unusual game mechanics, and bloody hard, but stick in a few credits and you could have some fun. Last time I tried to play it on MAME they hadn't emulated all 3 buttons, don't know if they have now.

Mat Mania(Arcade). I remember playing this in a games room at a holiday park in Perranporth, Cornwall. This and Ghosts 'n' Goblins had their coin doors smashed open, rendering us able to jiggle a little piece of metal for free credits all day long. How they never noticed this, I don't know. The problem was, NO-ONE could get past the first wrestler. It was a couple of years later when I saw the game in an arcade at another games room (Again in Cornwall, Trencreek Holiday Park in Newquay. In fact, I know it was 1992 as the Barcelona Olympics were on at the time), and I realised that the game at Perranporth had only 1 attack button instead of 2, so it wasn't possible to pin the opponent. Gah. With two attack buttons, I actually quite enjoyed playing it... although Coco Savage was so impossible to beat.
ImageImage

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:32 am

errolwd40 wrote:WWF Wrestlemania 2000 on the n64 is my favorite I think just edges out wwf no mercy simple because my copy of no mercy was faulty and I had to return it to eb stores twice as my save game kept corrupting. At the time my closest eb store was over 15 miles away!
I worked in that Inde game store when this happened.

The amount of times the owner resold the same game despite me saying theres a fault with it