what do you class as cheating

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

scunny

Re: what do you class as cheating

Post by scunny » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:06 am

My old flatmate used to love football manager. He would play it relentlessly. What he would do was start managing a team and then create fake managers for man utd, chelsea, arsenal etc and have them sell all their best players to him for pennies, in return these teams would buy his dross for megabucks. Then these fake managers would resign and leave the game.

So he would end up with best team in premiership and lots of cash, I used to ask him how he could get satisfaction doing that but he played for hours so he must have gained something.
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:26 am

Treguard wrote:Do they even make cheats in games any more? I kind of miss having to enter a random combination of buttons just to get a few extra lives I'm going to lose quickly anyway.
Yes, but remember that "cheats" aren't usually put in for the consumer to find, they're actually for debugging and quality assurance.

The programmers and testers will have codes in the programme to enable them to reach parts of the game they might not have the playing ability or the time to spend reaching it through normal play so that they can all be tested for bugs.

People sometimes come across these accidentally. Others search the game's code for routines that might be called through a specific command or keypress sequence. Often, as it's extra work to actually remove the routines from the game, they either get left in, or the specific part of the programme that calls them gets disabled. I know I've mentioned it before, but over at The Cutting Room Floor, they go through games discovering sound tests and debug menus that can be re-enabled by changing one or two specific bits in the data. For example, Goldeneye on the N64, alright it had a lot of cheats that you could actually unlock by completing missions under a certain time limit (a great idea), but 4 Gameshark codes enable the debug menu which gives you all sorts of additional cheats, and there's also, it seems, several cheats that were removed but still work and can be re-enabled. Oh, and the Spectrum Emulator that was disabled, but still exists in the ROM.

Anyway, personally, I prefer to try to complete a game without cheating if I can. I only really cheat when I feel the game has offered all it can to me. I remember my nephew getting a new Megadrive game one Christmas, and the first thing he did was play it with cheats. I had a quick go of the game (without cheats), only to have him constantly saying to me "Why don't you use the cheat? You may as well, it makes it easier." Over and over again.

Grrr.
ImageImage

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:45 am

gman72 wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:Is thinking about cheating, cheating? According to my ex wife it was.
No but exchanging dirty texts and pictures with a young American lady you met on Xbox live is cheating according to my ex. :twisted:
You might be right mate . . . My ex-wife was often wrong... she did have a very special talent that I could share with you.... ruining Christmas.... brilliant at it.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:48 am

Ha ha! We used to play champ manager (about 5 or 6 of us) a couple of times a month, one of 'us' magically started signing 13 y/o wonder starlets without scouting or anything :o :o :o :lol: we fucked that off by using randomise players and teams :lol: :lol: he was gutted

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:17 am

slacey1070 wrote:
gman72 wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:Is thinking about cheating, cheating? According to my ex wife it was.
No but exchanging dirty texts and pictures with a young American lady you met on Xbox live is cheating according to my ex. :twisted:
You might be right mate . . . My ex-wife was often wrong... she did have a very special talent that I could share with you.... ruining Christmas.... brilliant at it.
Without wanting to wander too far off topic... my ex's special talent is lying. She just can't stop.

Oooh, I think any further discussion along these lines should go into the Off-topic area.
ImageImage

slayer6000

Post by slayer6000 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 am

Seems ive started quite a debate
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:57 am

The way I view it, game designers "cheat" all the time, why shouldn't we?

Take New Super Mario Bros Wii. On one stage there's a giant coin in this one, seemingly inaccessible spot. It is inaccessible, because it is surrounded by grey blocks. Now, to anyone who has played a previous Mario game, grey blocks are indestructible. This goes all the way back to the first Super Mario Bros - red "brick" blocks are indestructible, grey blocks aren't. Except this is NEW Super Mario Bros, where apparently you can blow these grey blocks up. :roll: I would never had guessed that, so I didn't feel bad about checking youtube for some of the more hidden gold coins. Almost all involved some new aspect of the gameplay that was never introduced or explained. I count this as cheating on the designers part.

Also, many old 8-bit games (especially RPGs) would require hours of your life, scraping through each screen looking for something. I just don't have time for that anymore, so I check out the FAQ.

The same goes with old adventure games. I took nearly 2 years to finish The Secret of Monkey Island and Lechuck's Revenge, because I refused to check a FAQ. I could have save myself so much time. The only reason I finished Lechuck's Revenge is because I cracked and checked a FAQ. The puzzle I got stuck on was particularly evil. When I finally read the solution I burst out into a crazy, sideshow bob-esque, laugh. It was the maze at the end, for those that know it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Picture related as who else got stuck on these sodding barrels

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:11 am

One of the best examples imho is The Sims 3 on the PC.

I have nearly all the expansion packs, sad I know that a 40yr old guy is playing with a virtual dolls house but the I like to kill them in a variety of different ways. I digress though.

There are countless cheats available. But the more specific ones which I do consider cheating are the extra cash plus the ability to raise your Needs, friendship levels and lifetime happiness points. Similarly with the "make needs static" cheat. Also, particularly in World Adventures, using the teleport to get around tombs etc avoiding many puzzles. While it's a lot less time consuming to use these particular cheats, I found that the game wanes pretty quickly as the objectives are kinda lost. For this I grew bored and gave it a few months break. I recently came back to it, started a new game and not using cheats this time.

However some cheats are useful, that to me they're more like tools than cheats.

The most important one is the moveobjectson cheat/tool. In normal mode when you're constructing a property or arranging furniture, you are limited with space even though it looks like an object could be put there it's not always the case. This cheat/tool ignores those limits and allows you to place items anywhere you like. Also sometimes you have to delete an object just to get the game working again. I was unable to beat a puzzle in World Adventures due to a glitch, to carry on through the puzzle I had to remove a wall section just to get into the next room.

Great game though. My new Sim creation is an insane overweight smelly grumpy yet flirtatious slob, and his lifetime wish is to be a ladies heartbreaker, I have named him "Bumstink Brownhole" :P

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:46 am

Some games are better when cheated IMO. Turok on N64 was a fairly ropey FPS but it was more playable with various cheats enabled, such as "All Weapons".

I use to play Civ 2 with cheats too. I tried to play fair but the CPU never did so "crack on", basically.