what do you class as cheating

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

slayer6000

what do you class as cheating

Post by slayer6000 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:32 pm

So the other night I became stuck on a game im currently playing, i spent about an hour trying to work out how to complete the puzzles and move on, after no avail i decided to look at a walkthrough online, this pointed me in the right direction and i was on my way. Now i only looked up enough info to move on and then i closed the walkthrough, due to this my wife called me a cheater and found it funny. This got me thinking about cheats, walkthroughs online, official strategy guides etc etc.

In my opinion a cheater is somebody who will bang in cheat codes to make a game easier to play for example infinate lives or endless ammo, i see this as cheating as it takes the challenge away before you even start.
I think if you get stuck on a game and you give it your best shot and you are starting to lose interest there is nothin wrong with looking at a walkthrough or strategy guide, so that you can move on and continue enjoying your game, cos isnt that what gaming is suppose to be about.... Enjoyment .

Just wondered what you guys think
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

nokgod

Re: what do you class as cheating

Post by nokgod » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:39 pm

I think that's perfectly acceptable. If i hadn't used a walkthrough on Tomb Raider Underworld (PS3), i'd never have realised i'd accidentally triggered a game breaking bug. Armed with the knowledge, i used a previous save and continued on my merry way :D If used wisely, they'll enhance your gaming experience.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:41 pm

I cheated like hell on Limbo, well, I had about 20 goes on each part I got stuck on, then to You Tube and inevitable went "oh was that it!"

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Nothing really. I like to complete games with no help but I wont spend too long stuck. Luckily I don't get stuck often! :D
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Referring to Hints and Tips in one form or another is not tantamount to cheating PROVIDING you try, try and try again before peeping; and ONLY peeping to solve the problem reached, nothing further. That way you both enjoy the continuing game AND feel a sense of achievement, even if a little help was required. Oh, and maps only if you are lost; not for seeking out new territory as that's half the fun.

Now: auto-fire. That is cheating. Games without this function built-in (and those that have generally mean you lose something than manual fire might allow) were clearly not designed to be tackled with it. To use it is to make the game easier and, if in a scoring competion, allow for unreasonably high scores without actually playing the game properly. Twin Galaxies as the right idea. :D

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:56 pm

I get stuck on games all the time nowadays. I'd have no chance without the likes of GameFAQs.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:02 pm

slayer6000 wrote:So the other night I became stuck on a game im currently playing, i spent about an hour trying to work out how to complete the puzzles and move on, after no avail i decided to look at a walkthrough online, this pointed me in the right direction and i was on my way. Now i only looked up enough info to move on and then i closed the walkthrough, due to this my wife called me a cheater and found it funny. This got me thinking about cheats, walkthroughs online, official strategy guides etc etc.
That doesn't make you a cheater, it makes you a n00b. :wink:
slayer6000 wrote:In my opinion a cheater is somebody who will bang in cheat codes to make a game easier to play for example infinate lives or endless ammo, i see this as cheating as it takes the challenge away before you even start.
I think if you get stuck on a game and you give it your best shot and you are starting to lose interest there is nothin wrong with looking at a walkthrough or strategy guide, so that you can move on and continue enjoying your game, cos isnt that what gaming is suppose to be about.... Enjoyment .

Just wondered what you guys think
I agree with that. When I first play through a game, I try not to look at anything until after I've finished it, and then use a strategy guide afterwards to find all the 'secret' stuff, as there's loads of things in games I just wouldn't see, would never find or even be aware of otherwise. Mind you, like yourself, I'll look at a guide if I've been stuck for a while on something, given it a fair go and I'm still not able to work out what to do. There's no point in not being able to enjoy a game you've spent money on and experience the rest of it because of a minor thing you don't quite 'get' at the time. Often I find that if I have to look at a guide at any point, then I find the rest of the game easier because I've got more of an understanding of the kind of thing that the developer expected me to do.

But sitting with the guide in front of me from the off and checking it before I've even tried playing the game myself? That's a no-no because it just spoils things completely. It's people who do things like that who I don't understand.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:10 pm

http://www.uhs-hints.com/

This is a brilliant website (if you can find the game you're stuck on - not everything is on there).

I have no problem using cheats and/or guides to help me through a game if I'm stuck. As has been said, I'll give it a damn good go, but if I'm getting nowhere then I'll find out what needs to be done. After all, I bought the damn game so I'm determined to see it through to the end.

One recent example of cheating I've used is for more save crystals in Tomb Raider III. I've been playing it in short bursts on my PSP and whilst the idea of limited save crystals and using them wisely is challenging, it's not practical for the way I've been tackling the game.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:14 pm

guides are fine, use them all the time. its better to get a bit of help than to get stuck on a £30 game and never go back to it.

online cheats should be killed

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:39 pm

If it wasnt for walkthroughs id never finish half the games i played...

Silent hills piano puzzle and resi evils book medals just for starters.

hints are good, id never has discovered the hidden red cap level in mario64, looking up in the castle while standing on the reflection??? never in a million..

Cheaters though like the guys that can run the call od duty assault course in 0.1 seconds or any other leaderboard glitch is bad sportsmanship.

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Sputryk wrote:Now: auto-fire. That is cheating. Games without this function built-in (and those that have generally mean you lose something than manual fire might allow) were clearly not designed to be tackled with it. To use it is to make the game easier and, if in a scoring competion, allow for unreasonably high scores without actually playing the game properly. Twin Galaxies as the right idea. :D
Oh pah, no it isnt. Twin Galaxies doesnt know everything.... while I have respect for those guys, there's a reason why alot of shmup fans tend to laugh at them.

For that genre, I can only think of a very, VERY few games where auto-fire actually makes the game easier (and those games arent well-made, so I just avoid them), and I say this as someone that has spent 80 kerzillion hours playing these and can beat some of the nastier ones like Mushihime on Ultra. Hell, auto-fire is the DEFAULT on most recent shmups, and there's a reason for this.

I for one cant even play the damn games without it, and I mean that in an entirely literal fashion. Cannot at all physically do it, if there is no auto-fire. It makes my arm flare up *bad* (the kind of bad that A: lasts for a week, B: prevents me from doing stuff, and C: hurts like hell) to hit a button 2035720572835927897 times just because some developer was lazy, or something like that. THAT is the actual reason for auto-fire, at least in that genre. To prevent things like carpal tunnel syndrome (though that one isnt what I have), and such as that. If a game actually becomes EASIER by using auto-fire, that's the developer's fault for being a moron.

Again though, fortunately most recent games in that genre just have that as the default option, which is logical (as in most of those, the player isnt going to really wanna stop firing ANYWAY, so why make them hit the button 20 splertillion times?)

Now, what *I* class as cheating is, well, a few specific things. Cheat codes, obviously, like infinite lives or whatever.... though those seem fewer and far between these days.... or for older games, stuff like the old Gamesharks or whatever.... or doing "tool-assisted" stuffs. Or mods that do things like screw with game balance or give you crazy weapons..... stuff like that.

Though, it's at it's worst when people do it in a multiplayer game. If someone really wants to do it in a SINGLEPLAYER title, well.... whatever. It's their own experience they're ruining. But if they do it in a multiplayer game.... that's just wrong. Ruining the experience of others and wasting their time.... yeah. Anyone doing THAT needs a good kicking.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:40 pm

My gamers pride tells me to avoid guides or walkthroughs at all costs and figure it out myself. I give it a good try and explore every option before i look it up but i do feel the shame afterwards especially if the solution turned out to be easy.

RPG's are a genre which i feel no shame in using a guide for though. They almost always contain secrets that are so obscure that you would simply not stumble across them. Stuff like getting the Zodiac Spear in Final Fantasy 12, Aeriths limit break in Final Fantasy 7 or the many sidequests in Tales of the Abyss that can only be performed in a very limited time frame by sleeping at a certain inn or revisting an old dungeon you have no real reason for going to. I only ever use one if i think ive missed something mind rather than sitting there following every word of a guide from the beginning.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:51 am

Referring to guides is cheating. Using autofire is cheating. Using more than one credit is cheating. Using pokes/codes is cheating.

All of them are just fine if its what you want to do.

I refer to walkthroughs if I get really stuck, just to be sure I'm on the right track and not missing something. I'm ok with that, but I don't kid myself I completed the game without cheating. It might be down to bad game design, it might be down to my own stupidity, but I needed help. Without that, I'd put the game down and never return. I'm fine with with any sort of cheating as long as its not in a competitive scenario and it extends the pay you'd get from the game.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:40 am

I really hate cheating in any game although I will ask for help if really stuck or after completing a game once to go back and find things I've missed but as Ant says that is still cheating.

Now in a competition scenario or multi-player game (not that you really find me in those very often) I would leave a game if I found someone cheating.

I wouldn't even cheat on board games to let my daughter win when she was little. :lol:

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:01 am

If it's a single player game then generally I'd say anything goes. How a player gets their enjoyment from the single player experience is entirely up to them.

For ranked competitive multiplayer games and games with online leaderboards anything that falls outside the developer's intentions I usually class as cheating.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.