Beauty In Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Negative Creep

Beauty In Games

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:11 pm

Something I've been pondering for a while, but are there any things you encountered in games you'd actually describe as beautiful? Whilst it's a very hard thing to quantify, for me beauty is something that makes you look at/listen to it with an almost hypnotic pull. It's far above being "good", in the same way a masterpiece of film making is above a very good bit of film making. The only instances I could ever describe are:

The underwater and Bramble levels in the first two Donkey Kong Country games. Even now, I can just leave the game running without even trying to play the level
The introduction and Mana Isle in Secret of Mana
The Lost Woods in Zelda 3, with the mist effect before you collect the Master Sword
Final Fantasy VI's map screen
The opening cinematic in Final Fantasy VII as the camera sweeps back to reveal the entire city
The main map of Fallout 3. Seems like an expanse of grey nothingness for the first few hours, but really pulls you in with those remnants of pre war civilisation

noobish hat

Re: Beauty In Games

Post by noobish hat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:19 pm

All of Tomb Raider.

Especially the bit where you shoot a bear in the face with an uzi.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:35 pm

Bioshock. Best looking design in any game ever. Stunning.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:35 pm

The backgrounds in WOTEF are 8-bit art in my opinion.

I find I'm always impressed by fantastic water effects. Anything from the dark brooding water in Gears of War to the tropical looking Wave Race Blue Storm title screen and in game effects. I'll happily leave the game at the title screen and enjoy the calm, lapping water. Beautiful indeed.

The glow of vector graphics in certain games is another part of gaming that I find very pleasing to look at. I think Geometry Wars brought this look to the 360, that was my first experience of the style anyway, but I think Space Giraffe sits atop the glowing pile of vector graphic glamour.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:38 pm

The vistas in the first Assassin's Creed game was a bit of a wow moment for me..

Bioshock like Koop said also.. The first thing I played on my then new 360 was the Bioshock demo, when I first made it to the lighthouse and saw the brick work I almost touched the TV screen it looked that good

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:53 pm

Shadow Of The Beast
Panzar Dragoon Games
Myst
Highlander (Jag CD)
Rayman

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Odin Sphere
Samurai Shodown
Sabre Wulf
Head Over Heels (CPC Version)
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Was half expecting the usual 'ooh arent Ico and SotC gorgeous'.

I do understand that with the newer consoles graphics will stand a chance of looking more like a perceivable reality.....yawn....so we can appreciate 'beauty' in something looking more realistic / believable or bearing resemblance to something we can associate with. Ok maybe not Bioshock per se but if its vaguely humanoid we can usually empathise and adjust our perceptions to put ourselves into the story..... blah blah.....

I thought castle of illusion on MD was pretty.

Sorry , lost interest as Vic and Bob's Weekenders is on.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:19 pm

NiGHTS
Ok I am talking about the PS2 version as the Saturn one hurts my eyes to look at.

Virtua fighter games after 4

Skyward sword, to bad there was so little of it

Okami nuff said

Also Chun-li..............
Last edited by DPrinny on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:20 pm

Running onto Hyrule Field for the first time in Ocarina of Time. Irrespective of the platform, it's still a stunning, unforgettable sight.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:16 am

SexyWayne wrote:The vistas in the first Assassin's Creed game was a bit of a wow moment for me..
Agreed sir - although the series highlight for me so far is the view across Rome from the top of the Colosseum.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:14 am

koopa42 wrote:Bioshock. Best looking design in any game ever. Stunning.
Yes, Rapture truly is stunning. That opening sequence where you go on that ride in the bathysphere is the finest ride I've been on since the opening of Half Life.
Mire Mare wrote:I find I'm always impressed by fantastic water effects. Anything from the dark brooding water in Gears of War to the tropical looking Wave Race Blue Storm title screen and in game effects. I'll happily leave the game at the title screen and enjoy the calm, lapping water. Beautiful indeed.
I know what you mean. I wish the loading times were longer in Wave Race so I could keep pushing that bubble around and watch the waves splash about.

I'll add the opening castle flyby in Unreal to this list. The waterfall in the game itself is quite beautiful too, but the opening demo is stunning. I suppose I'm a sucker for moody lighting and reflections. Plus, there's that supremely atmospheric Unreal music playing.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:17 am

SexyWayne wrote:Bioshock like Koop said also.. The first thing I played on my then new 360 was the Bioshock demo, when I first made it to the lighthouse and saw the brick work I almost touched the TV screen it looked that good
I totally agree. How the heck did they get real bricks onto my tv screen anyway!? :lol: That whole opening sequence in Bioshock is utterly impressive.. My response to playing this sequence, to being immersed in the water and swimming over to the lighthouse, is one of a kind throughout my gaming whole life.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:22 am

The Bioshock water running down surfaces thing was great too, it made my eyes feel like they were watering until I got used to it! Aceness.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:28 am

A Boy And His Blob on Wii has some great visuals and music, really a beautiful game