Sleeping Dogs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Re: Sleeping Dogs

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:15 am

Freestyler wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:I'd not realised there would be story based DLC as well, that's fantastic news as I'll be buying that when its released. I'm hoping it'll be triad based missions just so I can get the last upgrade I'm missing.
Replaying some of the more "shooty" missions in full +15% Triad clothing is what I did. On the plus side I also managed to pick up a lot of the Bronze, Silver and Gold challenges at the same time.

The great thing about doing it that way was I'd already maxxed out my Cop exp so I didn't have to worry about stray bullets! :P
Ah, excellent point on the +15% clothing, I forgot all about those and as I ended up buying all the clothes in the end I'll have to give the last couple of missions another bash, that should do the trick :D I'm lost on the Silver/Gold challenges though, I can't find a list of the ones I've already completed which is a bit of a pain as otherwise I'd be tempted to go back and do those as well.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:15 am

another game i got for Christmas!

best combat engine I have seen, only done a few missions but plays really well and the street fights you get into are brutal (reminds me of Renegade how you can punch holes in people when they are knocked to the floor)

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:01 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:another game i got for Christmas!

best combat engine I have seen, only done a few missions but plays really well and the street fights you get into are brutal (reminds me of Renegade how you can punch holes in people when they are knocked to the floor)
I'm voting for Sleeping Dogs as having the best ending set of missions of any game ever made; bar NONE. It really is that superb.
It's so epic in scope (and design) that it's not possible to play without some serious wincing. United Front Games deserve a ton of credit for their characters and storyline. As a Studio they're certainly ones to watch.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 pm

I've just started playing it but so far it feels a ton better than GTA IV.

I think predominantly its because the character movement feels better and less laboured, also, the fighting aspect to it is great.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Freestyler wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:another game i got for Christmas!

I'm voting for Sleeping Dogs as having the best ending set of missions of any game ever made; bar NONE. It really is that superb.
It's so epic in scope (and design) that it's not possible to play without some serious wincing. United Front Games deserve a ton of credit for their characters and storyline. As a Studio they're certainly ones to watch.
Last couple of missions were fab. A bit gun heavy perhaps (but only because I love the fighting system that much do I prefer fighting to shooting in this game) plus the story wraps up really well in the last two missions. The multi part final boss battle was epic as well :mrgreen:

I've now started playing the first of two single player DLC chapters (the Halloween themed Nightmare in Northpoint). Its basically more of the same with a crazy storyline about demons but that's not really a bad thing! The new enemies seem cool and its fairly tough from the outset which is cool. I've got the fighting tournament missions to do after that. Here's hoping that's not it for story DLC just yet.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:31 pm

Yes indeed, I'm definitely looking forward to replaying this game, with all the story DLC added. Even the Cop missions were cool fun, in a direct shooty-shooty style.
Definitely looking forward to replaying this game soon. 8)
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:46 pm

I picked up Sleeping Dogs on a whim and love every minute of it. The drug busts with the fighting, code cracking and then identifying the main baddie through CCTV never gets old to me, I could just do them for hours and not get bored.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:10 am

Steam currently have a 75% off sale on Sleeping Dogs and all of its DLC. I just picked up the two or three DLC packs I hadn't yet bought for a pittance. Happy days!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:54 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Steam currently have a 75% off sale on Sleeping Dogs and all of its DLC. I just picked up the two or three DLC packs I hadn't yet bought for a pittance. Happy days!
Excellent, I'm about 2/3 through the main story and like the look of the DLC story stuff!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:51 pm

Joey wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Steam currently have a 75% off sale on Sleeping Dogs and all of its DLC. I just picked up the two or three DLC packs I hadn't yet bought for a pittance. Happy days!
Excellent, I'm about 2/3 through the main story and like the look of the DLC story stuff!
You'll LOVE the ending missions. Seriously, they're a fantastic set to play through, and quite unlike any you'll have played before. Kudos to Squeenix for taking a punt on the game. Here's hoping for a great franchise! :D

Flint

Post by Flint » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:56 pm

This will be on PS+ in February.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:48 am

Another two DLC packs have been released today (PC version, I've no idea about on PS360).

It really bugs me that one has to download the updates via Steam of new content each time any is released even if you don't purchase it. They're eating up users' HDD space, damn it!

Not that Sleeping Dogs is the only culprit of course. For instance, my non-Steam version of Max Payne 3 is the same because the Rockstar Games interface the game uses also necessitates having to update to the latest version to play it. Nothing wrong with that but doing so doesn't just patch the game, it also downloads the latest DLC packs too even if you've no intention of buying them.

Give us the option to download just game patches without being forced to download (locked) DLC packs we've no intention of buying, damn it. Grrrrrr! :evil:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:08 am

I haven't read all this thread so apologies if it's already been posted, Sleeping Dogs is to be one of the free games this month for PS+ members. So is F1 Racing Allstars, two great additions. Both are games i have considered buying so i'm well happy 8)
"Time fades even legend..."

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:21 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Another two DLC packs have been released today (PC version, I've no idea about on PS360).

It really bugs me that one has to download the updates via Steam of new content each time any is released even if you don't purchase it. They're eating up users' HDD space, damn it!

Not that Sleeping Dogs is the only culprit of course. For instance, my non-Steam version of Max Payne 3 is the same because the Rockstar Games interface the game uses also necessitates having to update to the latest version to play it. Nothing wrong with that but doing so doesn't just patch the game, it also downloads the latest DLC packs too even if you've no intention of buying them.

Give us the option to download just game patches without being forced to download (locked) DLC packs we've no intention of buying, damn it. Grrrrrr! :evil:
That does drive me a bit mad, I've seen so many huge DLC patches on it that's eating up my bandwidth and HDD space! Good thing that its my favourite game of 2012 else I'd be a bit ticked off :mrgreen:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:00 am

ShadowMan wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Another two DLC packs have been released today (PC version, I've no idea about on PS360).

That does drive me a bit mad, I've seen so many huge DLC patches on it that's eating up my bandwidth and HDD space! Good thing that its my favourite game of 2012 else I'd be a bit ticked off :mrgreen:
It's like an HDD equivalent to on-disc DLC, damn it!

Both of my gaming PC laptop's HDD bays are occupied and the combined total of 1.5TB capacity in filling up fast. I'm now looking at buying a 3TB USB 3.0 7200rpm external HDD. If it weren't for such game content that I don't wish to buy needlessly helping fill the HDDs then my PC would have more free capacity. Grrrr!