Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:36 pm

Mine is an extract from the Futurama episode called "Raiders of the Lost Arcade"

It's the bit where they find out what it would be like if life was like an Arcade game.

I put it up here for you to watch. It's great me thinks.!

www.retroshak.plus.com/LostArcade.wmv

Regards

RIK

forestville

Post by forestville » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:12 pm

my all new avatar is the main spacecraft sprite from the zx spectrum version of r type.

8)
Press play on tape

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:06 am

My Avatar is of course ZUB. Great little guy with a great little theme tune.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:36 pm

My avy is from my all-time favourite anime series called Revolutionary Girl Utena. I made it myself but had to dramatically reduce its quality and content in order for it to conform to this forum's size limit (the original is 1.8Mb!). It may not be retro-game related, but I still like it!

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:45 pm

Mine's just floppy... based on a load of blue 700KB floppies that my dad had from the Amiga. Done in Paint.
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

mechamonkey

Post by mechamonkey » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:52 am

Mines just a robot pirate monkey, what could be better?
Born from an egg on a mountain top

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:58 am

<----- Shinra from Ikaruga.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:09 am

RetroKingSimon wrote:I made it myself but had to dramatically reduce its quality and content in order for it to conform to this forum's size limit (the original is 1.8Mb!).
Clearly, this forum doesn't have a meaningful size limit on avatars anyway. 651k is a ridiculous top-end limit to set (I've made entire websites that are significantly smaller!) — it should be around 50k (or, if we're being retro, 48k or 64k). Although that probably makes me sound like a miserable sod, bear in mind that if a thread has ten people with this kind of avatar, such a simple thread on a forum will end up clocking in at a massive 5MB, or larger than a typical MP3 file, which is slightly absurd, but there you go.

Still, I'm not the one paying for Imagine's bandwidth costs, so I guess it's up to them!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

RetroKingSimon

Re:

Post by RetroKingSimon » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:11 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
RetroKingSimon wrote:I made it myself but had to dramatically reduce its quality and content in order for it to conform to this forum's size limit (the original is 1.8Mb!).
Clearly, this forum doesn't have a meaningful size limit on avatars anyway. 651k is a ridiculous top-end limit to set (I've made entire websites that are significantly smaller!) — it should be around 50k (or, if we're being retro, 48k or 64k). Although that probably makes me sound like a miserable sod, bear in mind that if a thread has ten people with this kind of avatar, such a simple thread on a forum will end up clocking in at a massive 5MB, or larger than a typical MP3 file, which is slightly absurd, but there you go.

Still, I'm not the one paying for Imagine's bandwidth costs, so I guess it's up to them!
Sorry. I'll host it elsewhere or change it for a static image if you want?
Last edited by RetroKingSimon on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:34 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:that probably makes me sound like a miserable sod...!
if the cap fits :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know I have been one of those people with big avatars, but I do agree that the limit is too high. I would be happy for 100k (or 128k) and don't think that would slow things down too much.

And on the subject of avatars, as no one liked my other atempts, I have reverted back to an old formula from Live RG forum and am using RG covers. When I can be arsed scanning the covers myself I will hopefully get them all on there (but I will reduce the frame count to keep the size down :wink: ) .

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:59 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Clearly, this forum doesn't have a meaningful size limit on avatars anyway. 651k is a ridiculous top-end limit to set (I've made entire websites that are significantly smaller!)
Quite! I wonder where the Imagine forum is hosted and whether the server is about to explode or crawl to a halt... :wink:

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:12 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Clearly, this forum doesn't have a meaningful size limit on avatars anyway. 651k is a ridiculous top-end limit to set (I've made entire websites that are significantly smaller!) — it should be around 50k (or, if we're being retro, 48k or 64k). Although that probably makes me sound like a miserable sod, bear in mind that if a thread has ten people with this kind of avatar, such a simple thread on a forum will end up clocking in at a massive 5MB, or larger than a typical MP3 file, which is slightly absurd, but there you go.

I've mentioned avatar sizes on a number of occasions, but still nothing has been done.

I think people need to realise that:

- not everyone has a broadband account
- animated avatars are distracting

Come on people. Under 50k, please!

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:19 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:Sorry. I'll host it elsewhere or change it for a static image if you want?
No need to apologise to me—like I said, I'm not the one paying for the bandwidth. Also, I'm on broadband, so it doesn't entirely bother me if people have huge avatars, but it will become problematic if too many do, and if they're changed often. Imagine waiting three minutes for a thread to download, because the browser's desperately trying to download 20 half-meg avatars... It'll be like 1995 speeds all over again.

*shudder*
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Mr. Pointless

Re:

Post by Mr. Pointless » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:31 pm

hand_solo wrote:<----- Shinra from Ikaruga.
Can I ask where you got the image?
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

RetroKingSimon

Re:

Post by RetroKingSimon » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:35 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:No need to apologise to me—like I said, I'm not the one paying for the bandwidth. Also, I'm on broadband, so it doesn't entirely bother me if people have huge avatars, but it will become problematic if too many do, and if they're changed often. Imagine waiting three minutes for a thread to download, because the browser's desperately trying to download 20 half-meg avatars... It'll be like 1995 speeds all over again.

*shudder*
With respect, I think you over-estimate the effect large avatars have on web-page loading times. I'm a veteran at a non-games related forum (with 55,000 members) where most users have avatars between 1Mb and 2Mb, and that site is okay for browsing speed. Nonetheless, since it appears to be the general consensus, I'll change to a static image in a few days once I've found one I like.
Last edited by RetroKingSimon on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.