Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:09 pm

I know this is probably the wrong section, but it seems to be the one I use most.

Thought it would be good to let people show off their cool avatars.

I may be alone but the zzap style reviewer heads are a bit naff to me now loads of people are doing them.

I made my new R-Type avatar from a japanese tv advert for the game. R-Type is my joint top best game of all time (with Outrun) so was the obvious choice (pitty I couldn't get any footage of the speccy version though!)

If you have a good avatar then post a reply and give us a bit of backround into your choice.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:17 pm

I got Markie to draw mine for me.

I like to think that the black and white illustration perfectly captures my inner pain of never owning a BBC Micro, while still showing an extremely jolly exterior that can only come from a life long love of owning a CPC 464 and a stupidly large collection of Shmups.

Oh, and it's actually full size. In real life I'm only 7 inches tall and must type features by jumping from key to key.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:21 pm

And I thought the black and white illustration perfectly captured your inner pain of owning a CPC 464 and a stupidly large collection of Shmups!

:lol: :D :lol:

funkym00se

Post by funkym00se » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:31 pm

@SirClive

Your Avatar is pretty cool. Can anyone tell me what progs they use to make animated avatars? Whats the best?

Cheers.

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:14 pm

My avatar is from a C64 game that was being produced, but is now in limbo. I drew the sprite - Fletch the Frog - on a real C64 and transferred him across to my PC. I suppose I could make him animate because I have all the frames on disk. More details about the game here...

Whether it's "cool" or not is a matter of opinion...

CraigGrannell

Re: AVATARS

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:19 pm

SirClive wrote:I may be alone but the zzap style reviewer heads are a bit naff to me now loads of people are doing them.
I think that's just a case of whoever has access to the artwork, though—basically, the people who currently write for Retro Gamer, and the chaps who worked on Zzap!64 #107 and Rob's tribute issue. Personally, I'm very happy with my "Markie" head, especially seeing as I was an editor on the two aforementioned Zzap!s and therefore never got a b/w head drawn for me.

As for SirClive's avatar, it is indeed nice, but it's also nearly 300k in size, which is something of a whopper for this kind of thing. If everyone had such an animated avatar, this forum wouldn't load.
Last edited by CraigGrannell on Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:21 pm

I used Ulead Gif animator.

All I did was load an mpeg file into it (got the RType advert from http//:gameads/gamepressure.com), resized it to within 80x80 (max allowed by the forum) and then reduced the number of frames by getting ri of every 2nd frame and also a bit of footage showing a master system. Also added a couple of transition effects.

Piece of P!$$ really.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:23 pm

CraigGrannell wrote: As for SirClive's avatar, it is indeed nice, but it's also nearly 300k in size, which is something of a whopper for this kind of thing. If everyone had such an animated avatar, this forum wouldn't load.
Good point mate (I just assume that everyone is on broadband these days), this was just my first effort at making my own. I will hopefully have a new one that I am happy with in the next few days, that will be less than 100k.

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:38 pm

Well you've annoyed me immensely by making an R-type avatar. That just makes mine look stupid.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:45 pm

stigodump wrote:Well you've annoyed me immensely by making an R-type avatar. That just makes mine look stupid.
Soz mate!

If I can get hold of some video of the end of Outrun (where the car skids to the finish line) then I will kick this one into touch.

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:02 pm

Naah don't worry mate. It's a bloody good avatar. Meant to say that in my earlier reply. I was gonna make an animated gif so the tale moved but I don't think I'll bother after seeing yours. :D

Your Outrun one sounds pretty good too. Can't wait to see that.

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:15 pm

SirClive wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote: As for SirClive's avatar, it is indeed nice, but it's also nearly 300k.
Good point mate (I just assume that everyone is on broadband these days), this was just my first effort at making my own.
If you are using Ulead GIF Anim, why don't you use the optimisation wizard? I just grabbed your avatar and ran it through on the basic settings and shaved 100k off...

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:39 pm

The broadband point is kind of moot anyway, and rather reliant on perhaps one or two people having avatars like this. If, say, everyone had one, the board would grind to a halt client-side (due to downloading several MB of animated GIFs) and server-side (due to massively increased bandwidth).

That said, I do like the R-Type avatar, and all the transitionary bits.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

forestville

Post by forestville » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:49 pm

my avatar is just the rubber keyboard zx spectrum.
8)
Press play on tape

merman

Post by merman » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:56 pm

Shall I pop my ZZAP! reviewer head into this friendly discussion?

I have now been drawn by Markie twice - once as Professor Brian Strain in Commodore Force, and now for New Retro Gamer. The one I'm using as my avatar is actually by Ant Stiller from Rob de Voogd's Def Guide to ZZAP...