commodore dtv thingmijoystick fingy

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mel the bell

commodore dtv thingmijoystick fingy

Post by mel the bell » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:49 am

i wonder if hewson got loads of royalties for that, as its mainly hewson games on it

ive been playing tower toppler (nebulus)
firelord
exolon
zynaps the most
might get more into immposible mission
uridium too now :)
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Yes its Hewson and Epyx games - They were probably the easiest people to trace and licence from!

I'm still waiting for my future mother-in-law to send down my DTV... :roll:

TMR

Re: commodore dtv thingmijoystick fingy

Post by TMR » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:57 pm

mel the bell wrote:i wonder if hewson got loads of royalties for that, as its mainly hewson games on it
From what i understand, the games were licenced in bulk from whoever has the Hewson rights now.
mel the bell wrote:ive been playing tower toppler (nebulus)
Oh - that means you've got an NTSC unit; the PAL ones use the Nebulus name.

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:00 pm

aye

works fine going through my dvd recorder tho (has the av sockets on the front, my tv doesnt have av sockets, but i do have one of those scart plugs with av sockets on, might try that straight into the telly)
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:05 pm

I'm a bit confused about people getting NTSC versions. For a start, why are they sold here, since we use PAL and as mentioned, they don't work for everyone? Secondly, with a PAL version being available, why would people choose the version with crap quality video?

Are they cheaper?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:04 pm

Cheaper! Heck yes!

I cna get them for £5 - looking around, the pal versions are around £15 - £20

The difference in games is not huge (and you get International Karate on the NTSC version)!

No problem with the graphics for me - works just fine on my cheapo 28incher!

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:33 am

markopoloman wrote:Cheaper! Heck yes!

I cna get them for £5 - looking around, the pal versions are around £15 - £20

The difference in games is not huge (and you get International Karate on the NTSC version)!

No problem with the graphics for me - works just fine on my cheapo 28incher!
No, you get World Championship Karate by Epyx on the NTSC version :D

TMR

Re:

Post by TMR » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:48 am

necronom wrote:For a start, why are they sold here, since we use PAL and as mentioned, they don't work for everyone? Secondly, with a PAL version being available, why would people choose the version with crap quality video?
The colour issues with the PAL units mean that the original NTSC hardware looks a bit better onscreen right now, the luminances of the colours aren't right at all and a couple of games (the Games series and some decks in Paradroid, for example) use colour combinations that would work on a real C64 but are very hard to distinguish what's going on with a DTV. There's a pic of the Summer Games menu on my PAL DTV and 1084S monitor here if anyone wants to see - the white and cyan are almost the same luminance which isn't the case on a real C64 so whilst that's visible on the real deal it's difficult to read on a DTV.

Which is a pity because, as far as the hardware goes, the PAL DTV is much more accurate and once it's hacked to add IEC serial and a keyboard it's nearly a C64 in itself; the colour fault can be fixed too, it involves altering a couple of resistors.
markopoloman wrote:The difference in games is not huge (and you get International Karate on the NTSC version)!
Actually, it's quite large because originally the Games series were broken into events rather than running as a whole; the PAL hardware can multi-load, so a selection of games the NTSC unit doesn't have were added to fill the gaps in the menu so theres quite a few more games. Championship Karate disappeared from the menu because the licence was only valid for the U.S., System 3 (or whatever they're called this week...?) have th European rights and it would've cost extra to licence them twice for different territories.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:32 am

There's a pic of the Summer Games menu on my PAL DTV and 1084S monitor here if anyone wants to see - the white and cyan are almost the same luminance which isn't the case on a real C64 so whilst that's visible on the real deal it's difficult to read on a DTV.
:shock: I forgot about that. I remember reading something about it last year, but I thought that must have been a fault with the first batch. I expected it to be fixed instantly, with it being a MASSIVE problem - I was considering getting one, but I wouldn't get one that has a fault. Are they still selling them with this problem?

I suppose I could fix it myself, but that would invalidate the warranty.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:42 am

Okay I have just receieved my 'bought for a fiver at TK Hughes' model. Plugged into the telly, its in black and white (any way to solve this?). Also how do you start the games where you are supposed to press '1' etc?

stigodump

Re:

Post by stigodump » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:19 am

LeeT wrote:Okay I have just receieved my 'bought for a fiver at TK Hughes' model. Plugged into the telly, its in black and white (any way to solve this?).
Um, buy an NTSC compatible T.V.?

Or you're gonna have to buy a converter.

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:46 am

LeeT wrote:Okay I have just receieved my 'bought for a fiver at TK Hughes' model. Plugged into the telly, its in black and white (any way to solve this?). Also how do you start the games where you are supposed to press '1' etc?
Try the option buttons on the back...

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:53 am

My TJHughes versions are Black & White also - I even bought 2 just in case the 1st was faulty but both are B&W on my TV. What confused me was the fact that my TV has a PAL/NTSC selection option which I assumed meant it could display PAL and NTSC signals but it turns out there are more than one NTSC signal - so my TV works fine with Atari2600 NTSC carts but not with the NTSC version used on the C64DTV thingy.

Which kinda pissed me off a bit!

Must get a new TV now. :D :wink:

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:10 pm

i think it depends on how you feed the telly the 60Hz signal, our battered Sony set will run 60Hz NTSC with colour from an RGB source but not a composite video one f'example.

stigodump

Re:

Post by stigodump » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:50 pm

DonkeySpank wrote:I even bought 2 just in case the 1st was faulty but both are B&W on my TV.
Well I won't say I told you so.

Oh I just did.