Favourite Computer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:38 am

I think the phrase is ..........................Anyway..............
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Tabe

Apple II all the way!

Post by Tabe » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:26 pm

For me, without a doubt, it's the Apple IIe. The Apple IIGS comes close but the lack of a GS-specific programming language right out of the box hurt it in my eyes. And it was a little slow, but I digress...

The Apple IIe was the first computer my family ever owned. I'd used others prior to that (Commodore Pet and TI-99/4a) but the IIe was the first one I really had a chance to play with. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many hours of my youth were spent playing games (Ultima 4, IO Silver, Winter Games, and Lode Runner) on it or typing in program listings from Nibble and Compute (though Compute's programs seemed to not work a lot of the time).

The Apple IIe was also the first computer I went online with (2400 baud!), the first computer I learned to program, everything.

Did the color graphics on it suck? Yep. But I had a green monochrome monitor, so what did I care? Was the sound terrible? Yep. But I don't care, it's still my favorite!

Tabe

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:34 am

Had to be the speccy. The simple charm of rubber keys and button bashing couldn't be matched by its rivals.

theDarkness

Re:

Post by theDarkness » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:43 am

mr.zzapback wrote:Helloooo, is this a question? :wink:

C= 64

What a machine! Shame about the tapedeck/tape trouble. Heavenly with a diskdrive though.
The Spectrum wasnt much better with its tape deck troubles ..at least regarding the built in one on the black 128k +2A. I used to waste money handing the machine over to the local computer store, just so they could give it another round with a standard tape cleaner and charge me £15-30 for their 'troubles'(!).. only to find out the thing would go wrong and forget how to load tapes again in another couple of wks. No idea where I got the money from, I was only about 12 at the time...
I did of course get around the problem finally by reading about similar loading issues in Your Sinclair, with the solution of connecting a seperate non built in tape deck where I could finally change the alignment/volume to get those games loading up all the way to the end as they should - wahey 8)