Favourite Computer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:50 am

Favourite 8-bit was definitely C64. Favourite overall was probably the Amiga.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:52 am

C64. Got an Amiga 500 but never had the same charm.

andy_taff

Post by andy_taff » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:37 pm

Had to be the speccy but i still enjoy the Sam Coupe to this day and the speccy albeit with an emulator.

Rubber keys and a PSU you could warm your feet on at 2am in the morning whilst playing Football manager or JSW.

Watching the color clash as the characters walked across the screen, those were the days.

C16

Post by C16 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:56 pm

My favourite machines are the:

C16
C116 - Such a cute rubber keyed version of the C16.
Plus 4

Sam Coupe - Could have been so successful if marketed correctly
Atari ST - My second computer after the C16

Laser

Post by Laser » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:21 pm

Despite the fact that my most-used (and still-used!) computer is probably my Amiga, my favourite computer has to be the Spectrum 48K.

It's the computer I learned to program on. The one I played Elite on. The first one I bought with my own money. The one I used to talk about in the playground. And it had tons of character! :P ...and didn't have those ghastly green and purple rectangular pixels of that 64-thingy... :wink:

(The Amiga gets my vote for favourite OS! 8) )

Ish

Post by Ish » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:54 am

BBC for me. It had some cracking games (Exile, Elite, Thrust - absolute classics) and I used to love coding away on it. I can still remember some of the 6502 assembler. LDA, LDX, LDY. Ahhhh them were the days :)
www.videogamejunkie.co.uk - musings on old videogames

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:08 am

Ish wrote:BBC for me. It had some cracking games (Exile, Elite, Thrust - absolute classics)
What are you? Some kind of real-time physics nut? :wink:
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Marlon

Post by Marlon » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:50 am

Let's hear it for the Dragon 32! It wasn't the best computer by any stretch, and I would go on to have a lot more fun with the C64 and, latterly, the Amiga; but the Dragon 32 was my FIRST computer and as such holds a special place in my cold, cynical heart.

It did have a small number of genuinely great games, though; including a spot-on version of 'Chuckie Egg' (FAR superior to the risable C64 version), two fantastic "tributes" to "Pitfall" ("Cuthbert in the Jungle") and "Donkey Kong" ("The King") and also played host to superb Gauntlet-like maze shoot-em-up, "Time Bandit".

Plus, my mate Wilf programmed a version of Hunchback (In BASIC, no less) which really was very, very good. Um...you'll have to take my word on this.

Bit of a sod if you had an aversion to the colour green, it has to be said...
Last edited by Marlon on Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:05 pm

Will always be my Speccy (the GTi 128 version).

The C64 was good, loved my Amiga and ST, but none of them match the feeling I got when I handed £150 to the girl in Dixons and got my beautiful Speccy and a whole penny change. Then the 5 minutes of unbearable exitiement waiting for Daley Thompsons Supertest 128 to load.

scunny

Post by scunny » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:23 am

The speccy for me! the original 128k version (although I started on 48k) Still remember the funky "Never ending story" tune on the free game you got with it!

Target Renegade on the 128k with no loading was so awesome and beat any other 8-bit version hands down with it's 2-player double dragon type escapades.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:30 pm

scunny wrote:The speccy for me! the original 128k version... Still remember the funky "Never ending story" tune on the free game you got with it!
Target Renegade on the 128k with no loading was so awesome.
Yes!!! The Never Ending Story theme was fantastic, also the Chariots of Fire rendition on DT.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:56 am

Definitely my 48k Speccy. I had other machines before and after but the Spectrum is the machine that brings back the most memories of good times. Without it I wouldn't have the warm fuzzy memories of finding a whole load of Ultimate games for £1.99 each in a rather obscure shop on a cold, wet November afternoon in 1984, my father running into my room and launching a loo roll over my shoulder and chanting "'ere we go! 'ere we go!" as I played Artic Football one Christmas. Then there was the freezing cold day we were having double glazing fitted and one of the fitters spotted me playing Starstrike and was so impressed he went and bought a Spectrum to play it himself. Then there was Commando and how it ate up a massive chunk of Christmas 1985 after I had been given it as a present by my gran.

Oh and all those hours spent typing in listings from 'Sinclair Programs' and 'ZX Computing'...

Happy days!
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

rleggett

Re: Favourite Computer

Post by rleggett » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:07 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Let's keep this friendly, but I'm interested in knowing everyone's favourite computer.

For me it's the Amstrad CPC 464. Highly underrated, home to far too many spectrum ports and it had some amazing arcade ports.
The Acorn Electron. It was my first and IMHO, a very much under-rated 8bit machine. A competitor for the spectrum, it was far more capable in every way. The BBC was obviously a better machine and I was later able to upgrade to a Master 128.

Both the Electron and the BBC had some absolute classic original games - Elite, Exile, Sentinal, Imogen, Revs, Repton... as well as all the usual ports from other platforms (even including Sim City).

So I'd love to see some more Acorn stuff in Retro Gamer.

chapperz

Post by chapperz » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:13 pm

The greatest thing is, we all have great memories of our own machines. As long as you personally are happy, it doesn't matter what others think!!

As for me, I loved (and still love) the C64 with its fantastic SID chip. Hubbard, Galway, MON, Steve Rowlands, the list goes on...I salute you all.

:D :D :D
Long live the C64!!

markopoloman

Re:

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:46 pm

C16 wrote:My favourite machines are the:

C16
C116 - Such a cute rubber keyed version of the C16.
Plus 4

Sam Coupe - Could have been so successful if marketed correctly
Atari ST - My second computer after the C16

Were you picked on a school? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: