Favourite Computer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Retroscrooge

Post by Retroscrooge » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:10 pm

The Amiga or the C64. Great computers, fantastic selection of games. I suppose the Amiga is more important to me, but that's probably because I was stupid enough to sell the C64 and (almost) all the games for it. Bought a new one later on ofcourse, but it's not the same without my old games.
Retrogaming since 1895.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:43 pm

There can only be one... THE APRICOT!! :mrgreen:

What? Ok. Seriously, it was the Spectrum. With its flexability, large area of support and with Uncle Clive masterminding it all, how could you go wrong? It was enough to turn this schoolboy's head, sigh. <heart icon>
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Fulcanelli

Post by Fulcanelli » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:54 pm

MSX.

Or rather MSX 2 and higher... decent machines with proper cursor keys and those fantastic Konami games which were just perfect.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:58 pm

Overall I'd have to say the C64 is my favourite. Its the one that has the most games I return to and the SID sound stirs so many memories.

Spectrum comes a close second, but that's pretty much on a par with my dear old Oric-1. Wish it had survived longer to see it really stretched, some of the recent stuff from the demo scene is amazing.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:31 pm

I have two and here is why.

In the early to mid 80's i owned a 48k Spectrum which had a charm all of it's own. I never owned a C64 and none of my mates did either so for me the Spectrum was my favourite then.

However growing up and in the early 90's my mind set was different so may favourite machine was the Amiga 500.

Two different periods of maturity in my life required two favourite machines. :)

Regards

RIK

Voidoid

Post by Voidoid » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:45 pm

The C64, the first computer I really loved (I had one of Atari's 8-bit computers before that). For a hundred reasons, but maybe especially the sense of community that I got from reading Zzap/Commodore Force back in the day.

smila

Post by smila » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:33 pm

c64 for me .

great games / awesome tunes / and you could warm ya feet on the powerpack on those cold winter nights :D
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

Turrican

Post by Turrican » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:44 pm

It would be a Commodore, but it's a tight decision between the C64 and the Amiga.... and I would have to JUSt plump for the Amiga, because games like Moonstone, Speedball II, Sensible Soccer and many others have become so iconic.
It's like an old pair of slippers, isn't it?

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:53 am

Hard question that one....

I haven't really got a big favorite, 8-bit wise I'd say my Amstrad CPC664 because it had a disk drive and Logo which I loved playing with. (I had a CPC464 previous to this).

16-bit one, I'd have to say my Atari ST. I'd wanted one ever since I originally found out about them and eventually when I was 11 (back in 1989) my dad bought one for me. My ST came to a horrid demise after I got a SuperNES. Foolishly, I assumed you could wire in a SuperNES joypad to the ST by putting wires in the different holes of the connector. Unfortanately I blew the keyboard chip, so that was the end of the ST.

I've also got fond memories of my Atari 65XE playing Centipede, Chop Suey and wondering why my best friends's Atari 2600 games wouldn't fit in the 65XE.

I did have an Amiga too which I quite enjoyed, but it just didn't give me the same fuzzy feeling that the ST & CPC did.

Rob

Retro-Style.co.uk

Post by Retro-Style.co.uk » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:11 am

Acorn Electron :D

From a programmers point of view without a doubt the best.
Retro Gaming Is Back
http://www.retro-Style.co.uk

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:40 am

EnglishRob wrote:My ST came to a horrid demise after I got a SuperNES. Foolishly, I assumed you could wire in a SuperNES joypad to the ST by putting wires in the different holes of the connector. Unfortanately I blew the keyboard chip, so that was the end of the ST
Similar story with my Oric-1. Parallel port joystick adapter, power on, open joystick case and try random connections to find the right ones... Didn't completely kill the Oric, but crippled it so that it would work for a bit then randomly go mental. Sometimes it'd even let me get as far as starting to play a game before it did it, others it wouldn't even boot up. Even now my heart sinks when I think about it, I'd love to have it repaired to redeem myself :(
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Paul-Elektro

Post by Paul-Elektro » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:45 am

1: Spectrum 128K (The original one) - My second computer, while it had colour clash, the sound was a lot better one the games that supported the 128, and in a lot of cases.. NO MORE MULTILOAD! My favourite because I was only 6 or 7 years old when I had my first machine (so I never really appreciated it!), but by the time I got this a lot more of my friends had computers as well.

2: Atari 520STFM, 2nd favourite just because I had owned a Spectrum for far longer, 6 years as opposed to only 3 with my ST (before it died), Great machine though, some great games, and was the machine that I really cut my teeth on in terms of 'Serious' Applications like GFA Draft

3: Commodore C16, ahhhh, my first computer.... Probbably appreciated far more now I've bought another one (Well a Plus4 actually), can't beat a good game of Rockman or Kikstart...

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:11 am

Beeb or Amiga, Beeb or Amiga........Tough one. Would have to say Beeb. the Amiga 500 was totally wicked but I broke into gaming on a Beeb.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

seanmcmanus

Post by seanmcmanus » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:35 am

I've got to stand up for the Amstrad. It had great games, was a joy to program and was the only machine that you could realistically use for serious stuff too.

It was good to see some decent Amstrad coverage in RG this month. It got a bit overlooked in the old RG. Hope it's going to get a bit more attention now RG is in new hands.

Sean

Ritchardo mkII

Post by Ritchardo mkII » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:03 am

I'm with the good ole CPC too. My first ever computer and my first love! That 464 took me to other worlds and let me live out dreams and fantasies... so to speak... erm... well anyway... It's a vastly under-rated machine and one that took the fight to the Spectrum and the C64 despite their massive initial market share advantage.

Amstrad CPC direct to PCs. We're an under-appreciated bunch of retrogamers!!!
Am I Not online? Try: www.cpczone.net