Favourite Computer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Gilderoy Lockheart

Post by Gilderoy Lockheart » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:31 pm

For me my favourite computer has to be the commodore amiga, having grown up with a zx 81 and moved onto a bbc then speccy n 64 none of those compared to the time when I'd just received my first credit card and saw shadow of the beast running in Dixons shop window, talk about burning a hole in my pocket. :twisted:

For me the best bit about being an amiga owner wasn't the games but the numerous pd discs you could get that seemed to push the machine beyond anything else at the time, I remember always looking forward in anticipation for the next tobias richter release (hope I've spelt that right) his graphics were mind blowing for the time.

AndyH

Post by AndyH » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:57 pm

I started out with a Vic-20, but always longed for either a Specy or C64. My mates had those, but I saw a CPC464 and colour monitor one summer and played some of the games for it and I ended up with one the next Christmas. Fantastic machine and some great games. Ikari Warriors, Wizball, Head over Heels, ATF and Nebulus amongst some of my favourites.
Andy H
ovine by design
http://www.ovine.net

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:58 am

BBC for me!

I was fortunate enough to get one when I was about 4 or 5 due to my parents both being Teachers and getting a nice deal on a brand spanking new Master one xmas, with a load of games supplied by the kids that they taught :P

A lot of underrated gems on this machine, unfortunately dubbed by most as an Educational tool, primarily. Give Beeb a chance!

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:11 pm

Little me think for a while...

[millisecond goes by]

C64

8)

sparky

Post by sparky » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:03 pm

Whereas I have a softspot for the spectrum, the C64 has to be my favourite.

Why, gameplaying seemed more enjoyable because of the sound capabilities and the pastel type colours the games used along with it's sprite technology.

If I had to setup a computer now, it would be the C64, even over my C128, at least I would know the game would load.

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:27 pm

sparky wrote:Whereas I have a softspot for the spectrum, the C64 has to be my favourite.
Thanks to the internet, I have a new respect for many platforms that I never used as a kid, including Spectrum, Amstrad and Atari, amongst quite a few others.

But the C64 is what I remember best because I had one, so that is why I chose it.

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:04 pm

andy vaisey wrote:
sparky wrote:Whereas I have a softspot for the spectrum, the C64 has to be my favourite.
Thanks to the internet, I have a new respect for many platforms that I never used as a kid, including Spectrum, Amstrad and Atari, amongst quite a few others.

But the C64 is what I remember best because I had one, so that is why I chose it.
Sometimes I will switch on the XBox and just throw in an ISO disc at random - whether its Amstrad CPC or NES, Spectrum or Megadrive. Its great to be able to try out games on different formats. Can you imagine the cost of doing that twenty years ago?

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:15 pm

LeeT wrote:Sometimes I will switch on the XBox and just throw in an ISO disc at random - whether its Amstrad CPC or NES, Spectrum or Megadrive.
Been doing the same with my DC. Megadrive city!

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:40 pm

I have so much fondness for my old computers it's a tough, tough decision. I was a comitted Spec-chum for years, but when my brother got a C64 I fell in love all over again. The music! Really, that's the hook for me - The soundchip. Even completely duff games had wonderful tunes and even these days I sit at my computer with SID tunes playing for hours.

Then came the Amiga though. It had the looks, it had the music, and to top it all off it had the games and a thriving demoscene. The absolute best gaming years of my life were spent with the Amiga, and I'm seriously considering going the whole hog on collecting for it.

Quaid

Give it up

Post by Quaid » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:49 pm

Would you give it up with the Amstrad, Darran!

For god's sake, let it go... :)

Anyway, it's obviously the Amiga for sheer power, flexibility and high quality games.

And of course the BBC B for sheer common-ness, and schoolboy nostalgia

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:52 pm

The C64 for me, too. The Amiga just didn't have the same 'feel' for me, and I largely lost interest in games post-SNES until I got my Mac in the mid 1990s and started farting about with emulation.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:41 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:The C64 for me, too. The Amiga just didn't have the same 'feel' for me...
I'm glad someone else has used the word "feel" - I know what you mean! I loved my Amiga (and still use it, although too infrequently :oops: ) but the memories and emotions it stirs are not as fond or as great as that of my C64.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:46 pm

C64 no doubt about it, all other pretenders to its throne, form a line at the nearest big cliff or take a long walk off a short pier!

An no I'm not biased! :?

retroisland

Post by retroisland » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:17 am

The good old spectrum 48k still does it for me. I still think it's one of the best looking computers and is so small and compact compared to other big beasts!

I know C64 sound is superb but I honestly never had a problem with sound from the 48k Spectrum - I used to love music featured in games like agent x and chronos.

Anyone mentioned the ZX81 yet? Alright the graphics were poor but the machine still looks cool with the touchpad keys!

macattak

Post by macattak » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:49 pm

hmmm... eeeerrmmm....aaahhh... C64.. EASY PEASY..[/b]