Favourite Computer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

hanging

Post by hanging » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:58 pm

Fave computer is the Atari ST - had my 1040 STE for years now and it still works perfect :)
Abandonrom Paradise - Back one day.....
DaFastLane - news, views and random babble

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:49 pm

I hate to be philosophical but, I guess it has to be your first machine doesn't it? If you hadn't liked the first computer you owned you probably wouldn't have persevered with it or bought another would you?

For me this means the BBC B, a well-built machine with some of the best arcade conversions, (Planetoids,, Meteors and many others!). But of course the Beeb should always be revered and remembered as the original platform for ELITE!

I then owned a Speccy (my brother convinced my Mum to go with the Speccy even though I wanted a C64!) So I guess for the sheer volume of games and the fact that most kids had one of these so it was easy to 'borrow' games, it has to be the Speccy next.

On the subject of C64 games and poor tape loading with the standard deck, I bought a 'Load-IT' tapedrive through mail order in about 1986 and never had any tape troubles again, I still have it and use it with my C64.!

beesty

Post by beesty » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:57 pm

I am so sorry but I can not say which was my favourite computer.

I had a speccy and loved every minute of having it(but a rambo knife to press the " key killed it I think)

I had a C64 and thought the music and graphics were great aswell as the games

And I had an Amiga which I spent lot's of time on.

I'm sorry but each of them gave me alot of great memories and to name a favourite is not doing any of the machines justice,I could say they are all my favourites.
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

frank grimes

Re:

Post by frank grimes » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:27 pm

[quote="russgalleywood"]I hate to be philosophical but, I guess it has to be your first machine doesn't it? If you hadn't liked the first computer you owned you probably wouldn't have persevered with it or bought another would you?

Well, I would agree with you if not for the fact my first experience of home gaming was the C16. Don't get me wrong, I loved that computer, but my cousin had a C64 (and a Speccy, now I think of it), which was obviously much more powerful and had the better games, and my next door neighbour had an Amstrad CPC464, which was great. Overall I would have to say the Amiga is my favourite computer. When you think of all the classic games that started life on that machine - Sensible Soccer; Flashback; Worms - there really is no competition.
In fact, I may give the PSP a break and play some Speedball 2. See you later...

K-J N.

Post by K-J N. » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:38 pm

The C64.

Magic Knight

Post by Magic Knight » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:41 pm

I think it is true for most that you never forget your first love. :D

For me that was the Commodore Plus/4. At the time my mate had a 64 and I was jealous as hell but there's something about your first that never goes away.

I was a complete Commodore junky and went from the Plus/4 to the 64 then A500 and finally A1200. Each machine has special memories but all for different reasons. I had a 64 from 11 to 15 and thats about the age you are old enough to appreciate but young enough to still get giddy. :wink: Once I got my Amiga's I was old(er) and already getting cynical but I still remember the feeling firing up the latest PD demo or game.

So after all that babble I can't decide. Can I cheat and say my favourite machine was a Commodore? :lol:

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:04 am

yep I tend to agree the 1st probably is the best (a c64 breadbin by the way, Christmas 84')

I've also got very fond memories of my 1st PC (a 486 that I bought with my 1st two proper pay packets in 1992, 16mhz and a whopping 16mb ram). Great memories of playing Ultima VII on it (once I had spent 3 hours getting the bootbale floppy configured properly)

Also, must mention my gp32 - great little handheld

Sparrowhawk

Post by Sparrowhawk » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:37 am

I have two, which I can't decide between:

The Spectrum - my first computer, the beautiful quirky design, Lords of Midnight, Knight Lore, etc, etc...

Or,

The Sinclair QL - 128K of memory, 88K of which you access from BASIC. And what a basic. Not your communal garden ho-hum BASIC but Sinclair SuperBASIC, if you please! I upgraded mine to 640K, twin floppies and mouse-driven GUI. Love it, love it, love it...

And then of course there was the Beeb (OK, that's three!). The computer that I first learnt to code on, for which I give thanks as I am now a developer by trade.

I still have all three (well, I bought a Beeb last year!).

Ah, happy days...

Can I include the Amiga too?

locksley

Post by locksley » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:03 pm

I've always been into gaming since I was a little lad with my Atari 2600. I then went on to have an Amstrad CPC 464, Megadrive, SNES, Amiga, Gameboy, N64, Playstation, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox & PC, but, For me, without a doubt the best is the Amstrad CPC 464.

Me and my brother got one between us for the Christmas of 1986, and we were told that we'd get it with a green screen. However, my mum and dad got us one with a colour monitor and I've never been as chuffed since.

We used to sit for hours and hours on Football Manager, watching stick men belting goals in, then play Matchday II til our fingers hurt!

russgalleywood

Re:

Post by russgalleywood » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:17 pm

kaiserpc wrote:yep I tend to agree the 1st probably is the best (a c64 breadbin by the way, Christmas 84')

I've also got very fond memories of my 1st PC (a 486 that I bought with my 1st two proper pay packets in 1992, 16mhz and a whopping 16mb ram). Great memories of playing Ultima VII on it (once I had spent 3 hours getting the bootbale floppy configured properly)

Also, must mention my gp32 - great little handheld

My first PC has a place in my heart too, it was an AST Bravo 486/33, weighed about a ton, had a 120MB hard and I upgraded it with a perhaps, indulgent and excessive 4MB graphics card! Spent a lot of time playing Ultima Underworld and Magic Carpet on it.

Sparrowhawk

Post by Sparrowhawk » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:10 am

My first PC was an Atari PC (yes, not "ST") with EGA graphics, a single 5.25" floppy, no h/d, 640 of RAM and an amber monitor.

I bought it to run Turbo Pascal 5 and Microfocus COBOL of all things, and after I no longer needed it I was only too please to give it away!

Bloody useless machine.

broton

Post by broton » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:10 am

For me there's no question - it's the Beeb. I've still got the one my Dad bought for us in 1984 (though technically it's still not *mine*...)

Many happy hours spent programming and playing in my childhood, which is probably why I'm now the social outcast that I am.

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:22 am

Spectrum 48k - hands down winner.

No-one at my school owned a C64.
Not one person.
One lad owned a Amstrad - but he was already established as being a bit odd... :P

Look at the damn thing - totally unique.
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

funkym00se

Post by funkym00se » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:31 am

Fave is the Amiga but as for the most underated it has to be the Atari 800 (xl).

A top quality games machine, underused in the UK but biggish in the states. There were some great games, Bounty bob and Whirlinurds were personal faves.

Khallvhan

Post by Khallvhan » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:21 am

For me it has to be the Sega Mega Drive. I remember spending many summer holidays playing from the moment I got up to the time it was time to go to bed! :P Sadly I dodn't have time for this anymore.

My second favourite is probably the C64 :wink:
I'm a Llama!