Favourite Computer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Favourite Computer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:20 am

Let's keep this friendly, but I'm interested in knowing everyone's favourite computer.

For me it's the Amstrad CPC 464. Highly underrated, home to far too many spectrum ports and it had some amazing arcade ports.

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:54 am

Had to be the CBM64 for me.

The most complicated basic in the world bar none :wink:

I was blown away by it, I remember really wanting a BBCB, and not having much success convincing the old man, then one of the Saturday morning tv shows had summergames on a big screen. Impressed me and the old man, we fired up speccy a bit later, and the old man says "this is awful" later that day were in Dixons buying CBM 64. I probably still owe him the money.

Some of the visual effects they pulled off on the CBM were amazing, and the sid chip is well documented. I firmly believe that this was the machine that defined home gaming, accurate arcade conversions and when you look back there was a lot of innovation going on there. There was a definite Kudos in owning the machine because of the Epyx games and US Gold conversions that were only available on that system (in the uk and in its early life) , Mr Do!, Dig Dug, Up n Down etc. Archer Maclean's dropzone ended so many teen romances for me and Andrew Braybrook's Paradroid and Uridium were just inspired. Thing on a spring was unique to 64 too, another amazing game. Ipossible mission, The Sentinel, it goes on and on.
No tape loading errors either.
I got mine in the early eighties and didnt part with it until the megadrive.
Just where is Mickey T?

cheeky_muffin

Post by cheeky_muffin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:26 am

I had an Amstrad CPC 464 as a 11 year old. Happy days. I had a Green Screen monitor, imagine the joy I had when I spent £30 on a modulator so I could have colour from my TV. The joys of blocky Mode 0 games. Favourite games were Werewolves of London, Chase HQ, Jet Set Willy 2.

But my favourite computer was my first one and that was a Commodore Plus/4 I still remember the first two games I bought from a computer shop called RAMS in Bletchley and that was Formula 1 Simulator and Kikstart

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:22 am

Got to be the C64 (as if you didn't know)!

What a fantastic bit of kit - OK, so loads of bods go on about how drab the graphics were - but to be honest, growing up with the 64, I never noticed!

I remember my best mate and his spectrum - even he would pester me to go back to my house to play on the 64!

And yes - I'll hark on about SID - I mean, how many old computers/consoles have a selection of tunes like the C64? and how many of those old tunes are playing in peoples car CD players? Even my kids like it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like to play on emu's for speccy games though, just to see how each game compares.

Super!

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:10 am

C64 for me - No competiton. Although the Speccy and CPC have some good games, the C64 cannot be beaten.

FishyFish

Post by FishyFish » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:15 am

Although I had my C64 and Amiga for the longest, it's my dear old 48k Speccy that holds the fondest memories for me. Maybe because it was my first.

Still loved the Cbm beauties though, and the C64 comes very close in terms of retro lovin' memories.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:11 am

The Spectrum for me, because it's the only computer that I've ever owned. Every kid in my Grammar School had one & I don't recall anyone owning anything else.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:40 am

Hmm I wonder what... starts with C, ends in 64 here ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

romanista

Post by romanista » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:46 am

Amiga

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:34 am

Damn you all and your SID chips and lumpy graphics!

Spectrum for me, all the way.

Whilst many games were multiformat, the Speccy had such a renegade charm that it stands at the apex of my list (with the Amiga a close second). The early years of the spectrum saw some especially innovative and outre titles, and whilst the C64 was technically the 'better' machine, the Speccy had the charm and the slight edge of novel games for me.

There was multiload, there was R TAPE LOADING ERROR, there was horrendous attribute clash, there was dismal 48K sound...

But...

There was Sabre Wulf. There was Manic Miner. There was Knight Lore.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

mr.zzapback

Post by mr.zzapback » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:10 pm

Helloooo, is this a question? :wink:

C= 64

What a machine! Shame about the tapedeck/tape trouble. Heavenly with a diskdrive though.

Reasons:
sid chip - endless list of top games, top concepts, some of them still stand proud, up to this day!

And the best mag ever published dedicated to the (games)machine as well!

mechamonkey

Post by mechamonkey » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:53 pm

Definately the spectrum, I had a c64 too but the spectrum just had an intangable charm I couldn't resist and I never found witht the c64.
Born from an egg on a mountain top

Wil

Post by Wil » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:46 pm

If pushed I'd have to probably go with the Amiga although the Speccy and C64 are very dear to me.

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:01 pm

That's easy: Commodore 64!
... never felt the same way about the Amiga.

Darren, have you ever played Chuckie Egg on Amstrad? It was a superb version of the game.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:22 pm

This is a VERY difficult question to answer.

It's between the C64 and the Amiga.

When I got my 64 it was amazing. The sound! The graphics! The games! When I got a 1541 and an Action Replay cart to put them on disk it was even better. Those days will always be special and waiting excitedly for the new Zzap!64 was a feeling that has never been matched since. About 7 years ago I bought a C64, 1541 and action replay cart again because I had sold mine to get my Amiga 500. It's currently set-up and I love playing on it.

But.

I think the Amiga just wins here. The jump between the C64 and the Amiga was immense. We got 4096 colours, sound that was like music made with real instruments (although I love the SID and listen to SID tunes in my car to this day), we also had a mouse! AND a fully multi-tasking graphical operating system! This was the stuff of the future, and I owned it on 27th September 1987. It was unreal. As the years went by I got lots of upgrades and could do things that other computers could only dream about. It was the king of computers and no-one could touch it. It's the best computer I've owned for doing almost anything I have ever wanted to do and I love it.

I'm currently reading "On the edge: The spectacular rise and fall of Commodore" and today I got to the Amiga. As I turned the page and saw the pic of the A1000 and the title of the chapter all my hairs stood up on end. I think that clinches it.