Trolling

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Trolling

Post by The Laird » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:33 am

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:19 am

Oh man, I'm laughing out loud at this pics! :lol:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:48 am

I've fought the urge to post the old OLD Hitler pics from the early days of here, RP and RS :oops: this will have to do:

The bunny ears seem somewhat familiar too :lol: :lol: :lol:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:44 am

Transvestite Hitler singing show tunes, anyone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rELRYZUN1kM

:shock: :shock: :? :? :oops: :oops: :!: :!:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:39 am

Okay can we stop all this now and keep on topic.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:00 pm

It is on topic.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:00 pm

the_hawk wrote:....Thing is, this needs to avoid being turned into some kind of witchhunt. If two people are having a, lets call it a "feisty debate" on an internet forum, as sure as day follows night one of them will inevitably call the other one a Troll.....
I don't mean to selectively post you again buddy but good moderation will take care of that. Any mod who has a little experience, and a handful of people skills will be able to hopefully nip it in the bud, or at the very least send each protaginist to different corners of the playground until break-time is over.
I know some people see mod as a dirty word, but I prefer forums with a little more moderation as it tends to lead to interesting and diverse topics from people unafraid to post what would get them flamed elsewhere.
Some Amiga forums have long been a playground for trolls of all flavours, hence why I avoid the ones where the mods let the trolls run the show, and stick to the ones where that sort of nonsense is stamped on pretty hard.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 pm

I just bought and armoured troll! A steal at 500 gold

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:33 pm

r0jaws wrote:
the_hawk wrote:....Thing is, this needs to avoid being turned into some kind of witchhunt. If two people are having a, lets call it a "feisty debate" on an internet forum, as sure as day follows night one of them will inevitably call the other one a Troll.....
I don't mean to selectively post you again buddy but good moderation will take care of that. Any mod who has a little experience, and a handful of people skills will be able to hopefully nip it in the bud, or at the very least send each protaginist to different corners of the playground until break-time is over.
I know some people see mod as a dirty word, but I prefer forums with a little more moderation as it tends to lead to interesting and diverse topics from people unafraid to post what would get them flamed elsewhere.
Some Amiga forums have long been a playground for trolls of all flavours, hence why I avoid the ones where the mods let the trolls run the show, and stick to the ones where that sort of nonsense is stamped on pretty hard.

And how do you guarantee that exactly?

Don't really see a problem myself, really don't - I rather enjoy a good difference of opinion. I can't understand why some seem to get so upset about it and start screaming troll, or flouncing off the forum because of it, only to flounce back on as soon as things are perceived to have settled down. Online communities are like any other - you don't get on with some people, you gel with others - no big fuss really.

No need for all this in my opinion. Could cause more harm than good.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:59 pm

r0jaws wrote:
I know some people see mod as a dirty word, but I prefer forums with a little more moderation as it tends to lead to interesting and diverse topics from people unafraid to post what would get them flamed elsewher.
Some Amiga forums have long been a playground for trolls of all flavours, hence why I avoid the ones the mods let the trolls run the show, and stick to the ones where that sort of nonsense is stamped on pretty hard.
Ha ha, no probs buddy, we basically want the same thing, a forum that people enjoy going on. Seeing good forums torn apart by one or two people with nothing better to do with their time is horrible. (C&VG was a mess last time I saw it)

Overzealous modding can suck the fun out of a forum just as much as letting it ride when some troll is stomping all over it.
I don't envy the mods one bit, they're damned if the do & damned if they don't!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:28 pm

Don't really see a problem myself, really don't - I rather enjoy a good difference of opinion. I can't understand why some seem to get so upset about it and start screaming troll, or flouncing off the forum because of it, only to flounce back on as soon as things are perceived to have settled down. Online communities are like any other - you don't get on with some people, you gel with others - no big fuss really.

No need for all this in my opinion. Could cause more harm than good
Indeed. This forum is an oasis of love and harmony compared to every other forum I visit.

I'm amazed that grown men, (most in their 30s/40s) get so upset when somebody says their fave machine/game etc is sh1te that they either want to quit the forum or get somebody banned. In all the years I have been on this forum (or any other) I have never felt the need to report anyone, it's just words on a screen, it doesn't matter.

Anything racist or aggresive insults then fair enough, but i've never seen anything like that on here. Most of the arguements (if you can even call them that) tend to die down after a couple of pages and it's very very rare for threads on here to spiral out of control. I can't see what all the fuss is about and it could (and already has in a couple of threads) lead to an outbreak of McCarthyism.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:13 pm

↑↑↑
Burn him!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:44 am

Its a difficult one though as some people shout out 'troll' the second theres a disagreement when in actual fact its just a difference of opinion. But granted its incredible how heated and passionate people get about some game or system from yesteryear. Even in the year 2012 theres still some fans so passionate about their systems they refuse to play the rival system or admit even one game is better on that system.

Probably more arguments/disagreements on a retro forum than there is on a premiership forum !

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:47 pm

I think mods should let people get on with disagreements and allow them to reach their natural conclusion, within reason of course. If they don't, then resentment can fester, and spill over in another thread.

One thing that does annoy me though is when you make a new thread and the more established regular people say "Oh here we go again" at the topic. My view is that not everyone has been on a given board as long as they have, so cut some of the newer people some slack. If the topic has been discussed at length recently enough, it will die a death fairly quickly anyway. Thankfully though, I haven't seen any evidence of this elitism on here, which is good for the forum, as snide remarks from established forumites tends to send noobies to the hills.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:12 pm

Evermore wrote:One thing that does annoy me though is when you make a new thread and the more established regular people say "Oh here we go again" at the topic. My view is that not everyone has been on a given board as long as they have, so cut some of the newer people some slack.
This. I've seen n00bies flamed into oblivion on this very board for that (admittedly not for a while though)