New Super Mario Bros. 2 to have DLC

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Beans

Re: New Super Mario Bros. 2 to have DLC

Post by The Beans » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:55 pm

learnedrobb wrote:True, true.

For some reason though, I have a little more faith in Nintendo than MS or Sony.
Agreed. I think Nintendo will insist on quality premium content right down the line. They're more sensitive about their reputation with gamers than Sony or Microsoft.

I also think we'll see that reflected in the price structure though.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Look at it the other way too. The PC is legendarily known for its modding and mapping community. Yet slowly but surely Developers are shutting down the ability for players to create their own content only to offer that content expansion as paid DLC. Want custom skins or new maps? Not any more mate. BUY OUR DLC OR censored OFF!

On consoles I can understand, to a limited degree. But to be honest why can't Modern Warfare 3 come with a map creator? Halo: Reach does, and Halo has over 130 items of DLC to buy. PLUS it has map packs, so what's the problem? Why do some PC releases restrict any form of modding only to "offer" paid DLC instead? isn't the full retail price enough any more?

And why are they all trying to tunnel us down subscription-based services? Do they want a choke-hold on us on a per game basis? Will we need separate monthly "Elite" subscriptions to Modern Warfare 4, Black Ops 2, Battlefield 4, Halo 5 and Saints Row 4 in the future?

Saint's Row 3 and Call of Duty already has its subscriptions in place, so who is going to follow? Is this what we want from our hobby now? 30 or 40 yearly subscriptions spread all over the web, each with its own rules, T&Cs, ELUAs, and God knows what else?

DreamcastRIP wrote:@ Freestyler:

How long until Ninty start hawking 'horse armour' :wink: paid for DLC for Epona in a future Zelda game then? :lol:

I KILL YOU!!!!!!!! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Freestyler wrote: isn't the full retail price enough any more?
If you're only willing to pay £20 then no.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:52 pm

At the risk of jinxing it, I think Nintendo are the one company I'd rely on creating 'complete' game experiences and adding proper DLC afterward.

E.G an all new mario game with 7-8 worlds, then DLC packs of remade classic levels from the older games? What proper gamer wouldn't want that?

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Rayne wrote:At the risk of jinxing it, I think Nintendo are the one company I'd rely on creating 'complete' game experiences and adding proper DLC afterward.

E.G an all new mario game with 7-8 worlds, then DLC packs of remade classic levels from the older games? What proper gamer wouldn't want that?
There would definitely be people accusing Nintendo of recycling if they did that. It's all been seen before on the 360 with "classic" map packs etc.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:08 pm

January 2012:

June 2012:

Nintendo announced during the Japanese version of today's Nintendo Direct broadcast that New Super Mario Bros. 2 will support paid DLC. Players will be able to purchase additional stages for Coin Rush mode after the game releases.

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct ... 0A0FFBB11A

I believe Ninty are claiming NSMB2 will still be 'a complete gaming experience' out of the box - presumably because the DLC content will be limited to a multi-player mode.

Whether this proves the thin end of the wedge or not, time will of course tell...
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm guessing that Nintendo want to keep the big hitters like EA and Capcom releasing games on its new system, and they know that in order to do so they'll need to let them micro-charge us to death, much like they've been doing to us on PS3/Xbox 360. So they're damned either way.

1. Let the big hitters nickel & dime us? Loss of Brand loyalty, egg on face, etc.
2. Don't allow DLC? EA, Capcom, Activision, THQ and others don't release anything worthwhile on your machine, and you have to rely on 3rd Party crap again.

Plus. didn't I see Reggie selling packs of cigarettes in a deserted parking lot? It seems like it's a thing he'd be doing now....
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Like has been pointed out, if they don't do it they are frigged.

If the whole DLC robbery continues, and the hit-driven nature of the industry goes on, we could see the games business decline.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:49 pm

Evermore wrote:Like has been pointed out, if they don't do it they are frigged.
Like has been pointed out, the debate isn't so much about whether Ninty allow paid for DLC on their consoles. It's about Ninty's own approach to paid for DLC with their own games.

I personally don't think they look massively hypocritical relative to their statements in January (see the pic in my last post) as the DLC in question only applies to a multi-player mode. Maybe I'm being too kind though in my opinion as some may consider Ninty's about face to be rank hypocrisy.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:56 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Like has been pointed out, the debate isn't so much about whether Ninty allow paid for DLC on their consoles. It's about Ninty's own approach to paid for DLC with their own games.

I personally don't think they look massively hypocritical relative to their statements in January (see the pic in my last post) as the DLC in question only applies to a multi-player mode. Maybe I'm being too kind though in my opinion as some may consider Ninty's about face to be rank hypocrisy.
I don't have a problem as long as the game you buy in the box is complete and finished. If they choose to add more content to it later and charge for that then fair enough. The issue I have with EA, Ubisoft and Capcom is that their whole business models revolve around only selling you a bare bones game in the box then charging extra for content that should have been there originally. If they're going to sell you a game in this piecemeal way then they should only be charging £10-20 for the disc, but they don't - they sell you a full price game then charge you a fiver a throw to download stuff that should always have been there. The 2008 PoP was the worst, only letting you see the end of the story if you paid for an extra chapter. That's just common thievery and I'd be appalled if Nintendo went that way, though I really don't think they will.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:59 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:

Firms chop and change their minds all the time. They will say one thing one day and another the next. Usually its at the behest of their PR department. I wouldn't worry too much about Nintendo and DLC - if any company does it right, it will be Nintendo.

I'm quietly confident it will be done right. For example, recently during a press conference, they briefly mentioned Mario Tennis Open (here he goes again - forum) and they put up a QR code on the screen for owners to scan to unlock Metal Mario. That was a lovely surprise! Hopefully they will do similar innovative things with their DLC offerings. Stuff like extra Prof. Layton puzzles would be great - Christmas themed levels perhaps in the latest Mario games, etc.

We can speculate about what they will do, but I doubt they will do a Capcom on it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:15 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:I personally don't think they look massively hypocritical relative to their statements in January (see the pic in my last post) as the DLC in question only applies to a multi-player mode. Maybe I'm being too kind though in my opinion as some may consider Ninty's about face to be rank hypocrisy.
I don't think you're being too kind tbh. I'm not seeing any hypocrisy at all yet. Reggie's statement reads to me as if they want to sell a complete game but still use the ability to sell add-ons for it later. It sounds more like a committment to binning the Online Pass and Disc Locked Content sort of thing to me rather than any sort of denial that they're going to sell DLC.

The second statement just seems to indicate Nintendo think putting the emphasis on lots of micro transactions isn't a good idea and isn't something they want to do.

Neither statement says "We will never utilise downloadable content" or anything.

From the video you posted it seems Nintendo are going with a more straightforward downloadable model than that of Sony and Microsoft. The Nintendo game comes out with no hidden extras locked on the disc or season passes required and then optional add-ons are developed and released.
We'll have to wait and see whether Nintendo can keep third party publishers to that model or not.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:30 pm

The problem for me is that I don't buy anything that is download-only. So unless they release collections of DLC for a particular game on disc, essentially what we're going to have is a Mario game that is half download-only.

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:37 pm

So I already pre-ordered this game and it is the same price as the downloadable version. From what I see there is no DLC per say just the full game for a premium price. Unless I missed something?

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Nobody said it would be day one DLC.