New Super Mario Bros. 2 to have DLC

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

New Super Mario Bros. 2 to have DLC

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:09 am

It begins.............

http://kotaku.com/5927647/nintendo-is-s ... l-download
http://kotaku.com/5921264/what-nintendo ... -all-about

-New Super Mario brothers 2 levels to download later at a cost
-The game can be bought digital only

Congratulations Nintendo you have now made it into the DLC age.
How long till they start doing on cart/disc DLC?

noobish hat

Re: New Super Mario Bros. 2 to have DLC

Post by noobish hat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:58 am

Ok, won't be getting a Wii U. (Not that I'd have bought NSMB2 anyway).

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:24 am

I think this news has been known for a while, inevitable really, you might as well get used to the idea.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:28 am

"Get used to it"
I dont plan on buying any of Nintendos new systems any way.
No amounts of Zelda games can change my mind

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:38 am

One reason I really liked the Wii was that most games didn't have anything in the way of DLC. I know this is a home console and not a handheld and also because it was to do with the online infrastructure/Nintendo's reluctance to do such things but it meant that games felt more complete and raw like in the good old days before DLC.

Anyway, I won't be buying NSMB2 as I didn't like the first one on the DS. I suppose the DLC is cool for those who want to extend the lifespan of the game but I personally cannot gel with it yet. I've done a bit of buying cheap add-on bits for a few PS3 games but nothing in the vein of whole levels etc.

Ah well, I can always go fire up the 3DO, PS1 or whatever. Retro gaming ftw.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:03 am

Nintendo has done similar things in the past, for example the SNES Satellaview and Famicom Disk System had shop kiosks where you could download software onto blank disks. That Mario can be downloaded is fine by me, so long as I can buy it in the shop too.

On the point of DLC, I doubt Nintendo will rip people off with that. They do charge a premium for their games, but they offer great value for money for the most part. DLC will likely be genuine content that is added at a later date, not on disc/cart for unlocking like what Capcom does. This is likely to keep games relevant in the long run. Who has any real issues with a Zelda game coming out, and a couple of new dungeons availalbe to play through six months after it comes out? Or some new tracks in Mario Kart a year after it appears, so as to get it back into gamers' consciousness again?

DLC was a good idea in principle all those years ago. Sadly some companies decided to hold content back or put it in the game, but leave it only accessible once the player had paid for it twice. Hopefully Nintendo will do DLC properly, and I am confident they will do so, but if they pull a Capcom I would genuinely rethink my trust in the firm.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:16 pm

DLC done right, in the manner of the expansion packs of old isn't a problem.

it's the DLC done like Capcom, EA, Activision over the past couple of years linked to the big releases thats the problem.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:19 pm

learnedrobb wrote:DLC done right, in the manner of the expansion packs of old isn't a problem.

it's the DLC done like Capcom, EA, Activision over the past couple of years linked to the big releases thats the problem.
It starts by being done right.
It starts.............

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:49 pm

True, true.

For some reason though, I have a little more faith in Nintendo than MS or Sony.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:04 pm

ThreatRhythm Final Fantasy has DLC songs at 90p a song, which isnt too bad. It'll probably be along those lines.

I doubt they'll get greedy in the future and demand £16 just for Luigi who's already on the card/disc.... ;P
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:13 pm

learnedrobb wrote:DLC done right, in the manner of the expansion packs of old isn't a problem.

This BS we've been seeing lately of pre-order bonuses at different retailers and Day 1 DLC is a joke. There must be some seriously greedy / stupid people working in video games companies these days. Short term profit, long term loss as far as I'm concerned. When Capcom started charging for Street Fighter colour swaps we should have seen what was coming further down the line. And its not been pretty.

Capcom's name is now dirt for a lot of gamers (Crapcom, DLCapcom, etc.). I for one don't trust the firm now as far as I can throw them. I think good old Capsule Computers went downhil about four years ago when a lot of their best developers jumped ship. I can only see more trouble ahead, as their gaming output in decreasing in quality. If Resi 6 isn't the best thing ever then they could be in serious trouble. And I don't think its going to be great, as its moving far away from its roots of survival horror, and more towards being a big bombastic action game :?

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:09 am

Ok, Nintendo getting into "not-for-free" DLC is troubling. Not because it's Nintendo but because I wanted a new console that didn't do that.

I've been a member here since about 2009 I think, and I enthusiastically eulogised "this new DLC thing" as a way to really energise and revitalise our gaming hobby, only to witness it becoming the nasty, evil EA/Capcom/Activision mess that it is now.

Any game due on Xbox 360 automatically has me thinking "Well, what has been held back for DLC, later?" and "Hmm... should I just wait for the inevitable Game of the Year edition that'll have all the DLC in for the same price anyway?" like I am with Skyrim? I did that with Fallout: New Vegas and saved a bundle. 5 expansion packs for nowt? Ta.

So yeah, if the Wii U is joining the ranks alongside the Xbox 360 and PS3 as a way to farm micropayments form us, then no thanks. I'll give it a miss.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:13 am

Wii U doesn't have a choice.

If Nintendo want to make sure that developers like Activision and EA are 100% on board, then they have to open up what is now an important revenue stream for them.

Damned if the do, damned if they don't.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:07 pm

Freestyler wrote:Ok, Nintendo getting into "not-for-free" DLC is troubling. Not because it's Nintendo but because I wanted a new console that didn't do that.

I've been a member here since about 2009 I think, and I enthusiastically eulogised "this new DLC thing" as a way to really energise and revitalise our gaming hobby, only to witness it becoming the nasty, evil EA/Capcom/Activision mess that it is now.

Any game due on Xbox 360 automatically has me thinking "Well, what has been held back for DLC, later?" and "Hmm... should I just wait for the inevitable Game of the Year edition that'll have all the DLC in for the same price anyway?" like I am with Skyrim? I did that with Fallout: New Vegas and saved a bundle. 5 expansion packs for nowt? Ta.

So yeah, if the Wii U is joining the ranks alongside the Xbox 360 and PS3 as a way to farm micropayments form us, then no thanks. I'll give it a miss.
I agree with your sentiments in general. There are lots of questionable DLC offerings. Take Theatrhythm Final Fantasy on the 3DS. Its got a good fifty odd songs, maybe more on the cart, and about the same available online as DLC. I think it would be rather optimistic, even greedy of people to expect a music game to have more than fifty songs, so fair enough with the content on the cart. But all those extra songs online available for download on Day 1.... I'd rather they put the game out, say six months ago when the on-cart songs were complete, and put these into a sequel today, now that the extra songs are complete. I just don't want to download stuff if possible, because its a pain in the ass moving it to another console, and its can't be traded in or course. If I spend fifty quid on DLC I'm stuck with it if I get tired of the game.

Still though, some DLC is fine if it comes out a good while after the game is released, such as the examples of extra Mario Kart tracks as I said yesterday, or map packs for FPS games. Genuine DLC made after a game is finished is okay, as long as it is not a huge part of the marketing strategy for the game. If there is going to be lots of extras released for a game then I'd rather it be put out on a cart or disc, sell it for cheap and make it compatible with its predecessor's save file. A bit like old PC expansion packs.

What I want though is not necessarily what others want. DLC will continue in its current guise until people stop buying it.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:11 pm

@ Freestyler:

How long until Ninty start hawking 'horse armour' :wink: paid for DLC for Epona in a future Zelda game then? :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac