Anyone played on the Wii's virtual Console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mantas

Anyone played on the Wii's virtual Console

Post by Mantas » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:09 am

I don't have wireless broadband so I can't check it myself.

The question I have is if anyone has bought a game on VC and if they've moved it to the SD card. From there, have you looked at the game files on a PC. I'm trying to find out if we could use ROMS on it instead of the VC files. I'm sure Nintendo has thought of it but I feel its only a matter of time before someone is able to do it.

If you think about it, we've almost got the ultimate console there since it can already play NES, SNES, N64, PC Engine and MD games instead of having to hack the console to emulate these machines. Paying for Gunstar Heroes is cool, but what if you want to play Sonic, Golden Axe or Zelda but already have the originals. I don't fancy having to pay £6-£8 again just so I can use it on the Wii.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:14 am

I've downloaded GOLDEN AXE and DONKEY KONG COUNTRY so far.

Unfortunately it won't let me transfer the files over to my SD card. Not quite sure why yet. :?

However, I can tell you that the Wii automatically saves your progress in each game from the virtual console (providing you quit to the main menu and don't reset). You can quit at anytime half way through a game and return to it whenever you go back in. This means that you can save your high scores on games like Golden Axe that didn't used to have a save feature. :D

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:50 am

Is there any point to this Wii virtual console stuff over and above Mame? (and other emulators?) assuming I generously donate to the Video Game programmers & publishers annual Christmas Ball of cause... :wink:

'cos so far the Wii seems to have a couple of novelty games and Zelda... Which while my Grandmother (God rest her soul) might throw herself about to in a Sherry driven drunken stooper this Christmas, I personally think, so far, that this Wii Emperor is naked... and it looks a bit "Meh" :shock:

Of cause I used to think the sameway about a lot of things and was wrong.

drws

Re:

Post by drws » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:34 pm

batman877 wrote:Unfortunately it won't let me transfer the files over to my SD card. Not quite sure why yet. :?
I've copied mine to an SD card. I think you need to look in data management / channels section, not the save game or other section.

Wizard Of Odd

Re:

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:43 pm

will2097 wrote:Is there any point to this Wii virtual console stuff over and above Mame? (and other emulators?) assuming I generously donate to the Video Game programmers & publishers annual Christmas Ball of cause... :wink:
It's just a novelty I guess. Plus, there will be millions of kids who've never even heard of MAME, so it's all good really.

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:03 pm

Wizard Of Odd wrote:
will2097 wrote:Is there any point to this Wii virtual console stuff over and above Mame? (and other emulators?) assuming I generously donate to the Video Game programmers & publishers annual Christmas Ball of cause... :wink:
It's just a novelty I guess. Plus, there will be millions of kids who've never even heard of MAME, so it's all good really.
... :( I was kind of hoping there was an ultra-mega aspect of this I had missed. ...think I'm going to wait for a PS3...

Wizard Of Odd

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:40 pm

The PS3?

:lol:

Hehe. Up to you mate.

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:59 pm

Wizard Of Odd wrote:The PS3?

:lol:

Hehe. Up to you mate.
In fairness what is left? The 360 is predominately American style FPS' and focus' on online gaming and MMOPRGs - which I don't like.

The PS1 and the PS2 have served me well. My GC sits on the wife's desk (she likes Zelda and Mario) and the xbox was packed up and put away after many of the "must haves" left me cold.

The last few weeks I've played FFVIII, Ridge Racer, MGS, God of War, Shadow of Colossus and today GT4.

OK - the PS3 is more expensive that is its only crime ...

... and sure Sony are lying toe-rags but like my mum used to say, judge someone by their actions (games) rather than their words (Marketing)

If the PS3 turns out to be just an enhanced PS2 - you know what? Good. Novelty games and online games leave me cold. MGS4, GT5, Onimusha 5, Ridge 7, DMC, s**t, guess what? Bring it on. So what if my granny doesn't want to play? Frankly? I don't want people outside my demographic playing games. I want cars, guns and t*ts - and if granny doesn't like it - there is always the knitting and now the Wii. Great - hope she has fun.

In my opinion the Wii looks like a naked emperor. The journos and the guest writers can wax lyrical all they want but it's all just rubix cubes, mud and tetris...

...not for me.

PS3 FTW. ;)

Wizard Of Odd

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:27 pm

Haha ;)

I see what you are saying man, but I can't see the PS3 being anything more than an overpriced PS2 with better graphics.

Innovation is what we need, and the Wii has it in buckets.

I guess it all depends where you are coming from. In my opinion the Gamecube is probably the best console ever produced after the Dreamcast...

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:57 pm

Wizard Of Odd wrote:Haha ;)

I see what you are saying man, but I can't see the PS3 being anything more than an overpriced PS2 with better graphics.

I guess it all depends where you are coming from. In my opinion the Gamecube is probably the best console ever produced after the Dreamcast...
I don't entirely disagree. The GC was good - Paper Mario, Luigis mansion, RE4, etc., all v.cracking.

The DC was great too I'm a resting arcade censored after all.

...but how many games need you to waft the controller about?

Sure - Sega Sea Bass was innovative. So was Singstar. So was Dancemat games and that's about as exciting as hardware gets.

Sure the Wii is cheap to develope for.

A truth of the world. It's not how much you do or how hard you work, it's how much noise you make doing it. Big developement teams, need big resources, need big budgets, have big people, and make big internal/corporate noise and this feeds big business egos. EA, Rockstar, Sega, Ubisoft, etc., will leave the 'junior' teams to worry about the small resource games... People always focus on the big money. And that's sad but true. It's all about mindshare.

Or to put it another way. As a publisher/developer you spend $10million developing a PS3 game and $3million developing a Wii game - which one do you want to sell? Where is the corporate focus going to be?

Or perhaps you work for a developer. Which project would you want to be on? Working on the Ps3s next gen graphics? or the Wii last gen based ones? Where is the progression? Where is the career? Sony is a sure thing right... maybe? Maybe not? eh? Who knows...?

A game is a test of skill, an experience or a story, most usually a combination and that is where innovation will come from. But a waft-about controller is a novelty that falls into the test of skill area, similiar to the duel screen on the DS.

Hardware is hardware is hardware. CPU, memory, I/O ... it's all the same. Software is where the real magic happens. Sony sold 100million PS2s and about the same number of PS'. The big names and the big games and the big innovation will be behind that bandwagon. Mark. My. Words. :)

When the dust settles and granny is back in her box with her Terry Wogans - it'll be the PS3 for the win...

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:35 am

andrew_rollings wrote:You're not a paid sony shill are you???

:D

(joking!)
...my task masters travel north to see me - not west. (well some of 'em do - but that's just the inlaws!)

Now I think about it, in fact neither group travel anywhere - they summon me! And I end up trudging North, South, East or West. Depending on who is calling. Thankfully it's Christmas and the phones have developed a mysterious fault and for some reason, I DON'T KNOW WHAT, the emails broken ;) and I don't have to go back to work until the 2nd Jan. yey me.

...and I wanted to get a console. I really did. A Wii or a 360. I might get a 360 I'm still very undecided but for me their is no compelling reason to get either. Maybe Ridge 6. Possibly PGR3. Almost Testdrive unlimited and that Zombie one, I forget the name. But then I'm back in WWII Nazi shooting, sports crapola, online territory or FPS land :( .

I'm just a grumpy old console player i guess, i don't want any of that tat.

...and none of them have 'wired' controllers. Not sure I'm going to like that. I got offered a JPN PS3 for £500 ... I'm not paying that either. grumble. grumble. meh.
Last edited by will2097 on Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

batman877

Re:

Post by batman877 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:43 am

Wizard Of Odd wrote:Haha ;)

I couldn't agree more, well said!

The only thing I'd add would be that the Gamecube only fell at the last hurdle in Europe due to lack of third party support. I was gutted when a few key titles weren't released for the Cube (eg. OutRun 2006; Taito Legends 1 & 2 etc).

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:20 am

...a few key titles? pffft. :D It was a lot more than that! Take away the Nintendo titles which admittedly are fantastic and their catalogue is somewhat anorexic.

Nintendos vision of the future, with their wheel barrows of innovation, will contain more brain games, more nintendogs, lots of Mario, some zelda and a pikimin and some of them will be good - no, some will be brilliant but you'll be buying a PS3 eventually.

I reckon it's just this British 'I must support the underdog' thing. I hate TEH SONY... because... well... because... everyone hates Sony - yeah hate 'em. I hate sony and if you don't hate teh sony, then you R TEH GAYZ. etc.

And you know what? I blame the media because its apparent most of them are bored of playing games.

...and as I recall when Nintendo was top dog things were not all roses-and-light. Was it innovation that tried to crush the games market with cartridges - again? Was it innovation that took Datel to court? Was it innovation that has a licensing model derived by Satan... Was it innovation that ignores the European sector... again. Maybe it was.

and Sony are not any better, I know - but at least they have games. ;)