What other Retro magazines do you buy?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

knight_beat

What other Retro magazines do you buy?

Post by knight_beat » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:15 pm

Hello all,
I find that my retro addiction is no longer sated by Retro Gamer alone and I need to buy more retro gaming magazines to get my fix. I have bought the odd issue of Amiga Future and QL Today in the past, but nothing else. Are there any other retro magazines out there that I have missed? Does anyone actually buy these magazines?
Last edited by knight_beat on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Laird

Re: What other Retro magazines do you buy?

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:55 pm

The following:

Atari User

Pixel Nation

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:05 pm

RG is the only one for me as retro is just one facet of my gaming interests.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:51 pm

I used to enjoy GamesTM retro section but i actually now fill my cup from missed RG issues and old magazines from the 90's.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Yeah I too love the retro section of GamesTM, I like the overall design, the double page spreads and the use of more retro boxart, machines and posters..perhaps they could become their own retro magazine!?

Other than that I only buy old games magazines to reminisce, normally some old first editions I used to own before a move across the country.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:40 pm

I've bought a few issues of Revival (mostly homebrew-based) and one issue of Scroll (American - good content but too much usage of the word "Genesis" isn't good for the brain).

The R3play magazines are good too!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:10 pm

RG is generally enough for me, although I wouldn't mind getting some older mags (if you find them cheap enough!). I would love the original US electronic games mag. I have a few, not many, as they are too expensive and ebayers want horrendous freight fees for them. Thankfully they are archived online now so you just print out your own...but the originals would be nice.

As well as reading reviews of the time on VCS, Intellivision, Colecovision etc consoles, I do like the Handheld/tabletop review each month (Hint hint to RG mag for a handheld/tabletop review! :) ).

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:17 pm

just retro gamer, the others are sh1t

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:39 pm

I buy this magazine often.... does that count? :wink:

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:31 am

BBC History

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:54 am

kiwimike wrote:RG is generally enough for me, although I wouldn't mind getting some older mags (if you find them cheap enough!). I would love the original US electronic games mag. I have a few, not many, as they are too expensive and ebayers want horrendous freight fees for them. Thankfully they are archived online now so you just print out your own...but the originals would be nice.

As well as reading reviews of the time on VCS, Intellivision, Colecovision etc consoles, I do like the Handheld/tabletop review each month (Hint hint to RG mag for a handheld/tabletop review! :) ).
Tabletop feature you say? We have something in 106 that will blow you away.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:51 am

Record Collector

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:16 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
kiwimike wrote:RG is generally enough for me, although I wouldn't mind getting some older mags (if you find them cheap enough!). I would love the original US electronic games mag. I have a few, not many, as they are too expensive and ebayers want horrendous freight fees for them. Thankfully they are archived online now so you just print out your own...but the originals would be nice.

Tabletop feature you say? We have something in 106 that will blow you away.
Its about time! These things warrant a regular feature as I've often said before. 1-2 pages, a couple of nice pics and a small blurb. So quick and easy for you to do I'm surprised you've not jumped on this before now as its easy page filler to leave time for other articles.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote: Its about time! These things warrant a regular feature as I've often said before. 1-2 pages, a couple of nice pics and a small blurb. So quick and easy for you to do I'm surprised you've not jumped on this before now as its easy page filler to leave time for other articles.
I've been wanting to put an Astro Wars on the cover for. I don't know. Ages. We've never had anything suitable to back it up though, due to the sheer amount of information that simply doesn't exist. If you go to even the most informed handheld websites there's nothing about Grandstand aside from the fact that they had a company in New Zealand.
All that changes in issue 106 though...

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Looking forward to the tabletop feature I must say. I’ve been hungry for something like this for a while. Couldn’t really find much about them on youtube either, apart from retro game shops just shilling their merchandise, which isn’t really all that informative.

On the other retro mags topic – Is there anything along the lines of “Retro Life” that just coveres 80’s / 90’s pop culture? I love the Back to the 80’s / 90’s spreads in RG, especially the way they give you a snapshot of the time with current events and how the charts looked. I’d love to read something that focused on other areas of retro entertainment in general.
And this bird you'll never change...