What other Retro magazines do you buy?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gman72

Re: What other Retro magazines do you buy?

Post by gman72 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:53 pm

I had a tabletop Galaxy Invader 1000 that i could complete every go on the hardest setting. PuckMonster which was an awesome Pacman clone and a Frogger clone. All were big, yellow units by CGL.
WORD!! :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:24 pm

I never knew Justin Timberlake was into retro games :lol:

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:34 pm

The Frogger one is an absolute thing of beauty!
And this bird you'll never change...

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:55 pm

I own a silly amount of old mags as I keep everyone I buy. As such I tend to re-read those for my retro kicks, alongside regular editions of Retro Gamer and Games TM.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:40 pm

I remember someone at school (ca 1983) had a tabletop Galaxian/Galaga thing, but I can't for the life of me come up with how the tech worked that made it play, and not badly either. The G&W lcd games are obvious (just put in the batteries and see everything light up at once), but my faint memory of the tabletop had in colour and moving objects.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:33 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
kiwimike wrote:RG is generally enough for me, although I wouldn't mind getting some older mags (if you find them cheap enough!). I would love the original US electronic games mag. I have a few, not many, as they are too expensive and ebayers want horrendous freight fees for them. Thankfully they are archived online now so you just print out your own...but the originals would be nice.

As well as reading reviews of the time on VCS, Intellivision, Colecovision etc consoles, I do like the Handheld/tabletop review each month (Hint hint to RG mag for a handheld/tabletop review! :) ).
Tabletop feature you say? We have something in 106 that will blow you away.
Got my finger on the mouse ready to click 'buy now'... :wink: Hell, may even be the cue to get the subscription! :lol:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:35 am

Joey wrote:I buy this magazine often.... does that count? :wink:

Only when it features the Jag or maybe Falcon... :lol:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:39 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:If you go to even the most informed handheld websites there's nothing about Grandstand aside from the fact that they had a company in New Zealand.
Yep, if you're looking for Tabletop Grandstand machines a good option would be the 'NZ Ebay'...search for trade me NZ auctions page. They often have Astro Wars and the like...dunno what your postage would be like, but worth a look for any collectors :)

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, folks. I'll give Atari User and Sam Revival a try in the next month or so.

On a related topic, I discovered during my investigation that CHIP magazine in Germany has just published a 148 page special edition on the Commodore 64.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:31 pm

knight_beat wrote:Thanks for the recommendations, folks. I'll give Atari User and Sam Revival a try in the next month or so.

On a related topic, I discovered during my investigation that CHIP magazine in Germany has just published a 148 page special edition on the Commodore 64.
AU is available in print too:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri May 10, 2013 6:20 am

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:57 pm

I'd buy that. Is it a one off or is it the first of a series?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri May 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I'd buy that. Is it a one off or is it the first of a series?
A one off . . . .

Well for now anyway! :wink:

kochane

Post by kochane » Wed May 15, 2013 7:52 pm

The only retro gaming mags I have kept aside from RG is the complete run of Mean Machines and some CVG from early/mid 80s (the only gaming mags I really read as a kid). I do have quite a large magazine collection from other things (including Wax magazine which was a great music mag) which are taking up space and have considered scanning them but not really sure how to do it properly.

I have been told to cut the spines off but again not really sure the best way to do it (and also feels a bit wrong to do this from a sentimental point of view) but need more space (sometimes I hate being a collector!)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu May 16, 2013 3:32 am

I find retro gamer very difficult to get hold of, (if anyone knows anywhere either near work in Salford quays) or near home (bury/Bolton/ north Manchester) that sells it I would appreciate the info. I seem to remember a mag that had a few pages of a sort of mini archive of scores given to every mega drive game ever reviewed- was that sega pro?
Also did it have the same for ms and gg? If so I'll be searching retro dealers for a back issue for reference