Are you a fan of the Gizmondo?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shiftytigger

Re: Are you a fan of the Gizmondo?

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:27 am

I think I was happier to use the Gizmondo for emulating ,rather than risking bricking my Psp . Turned out a wise choice. Though I now carry my Psp on long journeys and the Giz sits in my rucksack as a backup - or in my linen cupboard for a quick saveable blast on SoR 2 whilst in the bathroom.

Evander

Post by Evander » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:32 am

Rinoa wrote:
Evander wrote:Build quality is excellent
The build quality is far from excellent unfortunately. It looks good and feels good to hold, but there's a common issue with the controls/buttons. I've had three Gizmondos (all in excellent, virtually unused condition) and all three of them had issues with button sensitivity (some not working at all). I took them all apart and swapped the working buttons over to one Gizmondo in the end.
I'd better look after mine then. Although I have to say it's been my most played handheld system over the last 2 years and has never let me down yet.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:37 am

shiftytigger wrote:I think I was happier to use the Gizmondo for emulating ,rather than risking bricking my Psp . Turned out a wise choice. Though I now carry my Psp on long journeys and the Giz sits in my rucksack as a backup - or in my linen cupboard for a quick saveable blast on SoR 2 whilst in the bathroom.
You do realise there are now emus that'll run on unhacked PSPs? Know for a fact Mega Drive, SNES, NES, GBA and Master System ones are available. Look for "signed" in the titles.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:24 pm

Rinoa wrote:
Evander wrote:Build quality is excellent
The build quality is far from excellent unfortunately. It looks good and feels good to hold, but there's a common issue with the controls/buttons. I've had three Gizmondos (all in excellent, virtually unused condition) and all three of them had issues with button sensitivity (some not working at all). I took them all apart and swapped the working buttons over to one Gizmondo in the end.
Really!? I've never had any problems button wise and I've owned 4 different models from developer to retail.

The build imo is very good yes, sturdy and well built, well they did use good teams inc Rick Dickinson who designed the ZX Spectum designed the case so it's very ergonomic and nice to hold.
On the switch side even being a fan I can see its faults, firstly the D-Pad isn't the best, and the battery life is awful, although you can either use a mains adaptor or try and find a larger battery that Gizmondo released that was included on the US model.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:35 am

Any Gizmondo fans want this Edge supplement before I bin it?

20 pages (inc. of covers), some interviews, overview of the system, a preview of the launch games etc.

Cover is a little scruffy but otherwise a nice glossy brochure type thing.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:07 pm

I'll have it if Rinoa or AmigaJay or DreamcastRIP don't want it :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:59 pm

You got there first, I think you should have it :)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Cheers for that - I'll pass it on to you after I've had a look at it (in other words, yes please, Ant :) )
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Fair enough. Drop me a PM with your address and I'll chuck it in the post at some point in the next week (probably not til Mon/Tues as I'm off work and nowhere near a PO this week).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:50 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:I'll have it if Rinoa or AmigaJay or DreamcastRIP don't want it :D
Have you access to a scanner? If you can please scan and upload the pages please :D

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:49 pm

Certainly have and certainly will :D

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:11 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Certainly have and certainly will :D
Ah good man! Danka

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:16 pm

Great stuff. :D :D :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:43 am

Rinoa wrote:I like the Gizmondo, I have all the released games for it. Trailblazer's such a great little game.

When my TomTom died a couple of years back I used the Gizmondo as my main Sat Nav, so its had quite a lot of use.

Great for emulation too, apparently. I did give it a go, but couldn't get it to work straight away so gave up, but I'm sure it's not that difficult to do - I'm just not that bothered about emulating.
Ive got your old Gizmondo Rinoa, dunno if you remember selling it to me a few years ago,i took it apart cleaned it all up and its still working cool athough the sat nav is well outta date now.
Ive got another one too that i bought brand new from Argos when they were flogging them off for £60 after gizmondo went belly up.
Its a nice handheld and the screen is very clear, ive got a few games for them,but rarely use them anymore.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Rinoa wrote: Great for emulation too, apparently. I did give it a go, but couldn't get it to work straight away so gave up, but I'm sure it's not that difficult to do - I'm just not that bothered about emulating.
If you need any help just ask its really not that hard, I bought another Giz off eBay for £15 last week, installed service pack b, added gizmenu, some games and emulators didn't take long at all, are you using service pack b?