Are you a fan of the Gizmondo?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

AmigaJay

Re: Are you a fan of the Gizmondo?

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:49 pm

I've started making some short Gizmondo videos for YouTube, my channel is below and I hope to record all released and unreleased builds in the next few weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GizmondoCen ... ature=mhee

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:15 pm

oldtimer wrote:Ive got your old Gizmondo Rinoa, dunno if you remember selling it to me a few years ago,i took it apart cleaned it all up and its still working cool athough the sat nav is well outta date now.
Ive got another one too that i bought brand new from Argos when they were flogging them off for £60 after gizmondo went belly up.
Its a nice handheld and the screen is very clear, ive got a few games for them,but rarely use them anymore.
I had completely forgotten, but remember now after you mentioned it! :D
Glad you managed to get those pesky buttons sorted. I wasn't the biggest fan of the CoPilot Sat Nav software, but it did the job while my TomTom was out of service. I think I'd use my phone as a back up next time though!
AmigaJay wrote:If you need any help just ask its really not that hard, I bought another Giz off eBay for £15 last week, installed service pack b, added gizmenu, some games and emulators didn't take long at all, are you using service pack b?
Thanks for the offer :) Can't remember if I used service pack B, its been a while. Will have to dig out the Giz and have a look.

chapperz

Post by chapperz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm a fan! Bought one a few years back & I installed Service Pack B so got loads of games on SD card. The Stunt Car Racer update is fun (part of the Fathammer Classics pack), although not the same (or as good as) the C64 version...

I also have an original copy of Trailblazer which is excellent fun. The only downside to my system is the battery doesn't seem to hold charge any more so it's mains only for now.

I may consider selling it if there are any sensible offers...

Chapperz :D
Long live the C64!!

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:18 pm

chapperz wrote:I'm a fan! Bought one a few years back & I installed Service Pack B so got loads of games on SD card. The Stunt Car Racer update is fun (part of the Fathammer Classics pack), although not the same (or as good as) the C64 version...

The game on the Fathammer Classics card is Stuntcar Extreme and has nothing todo with Stunt Car Racer, plus the fact it's totally rubbish too and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the classic Crammond game! :lol:

chapperz

Post by chapperz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:01 pm

AmigaJay wrote:
chapperz wrote:I'm a fan! Bought one a few years back & I installed Service Pack B so got loads of games on SD card. The Stunt Car Racer update is fun (part of the Fathammer Classics pack), although not the same (or as good as) the C64 version...

The game on the Fathammer Classics card is Stuntcar Extreme and has nothing todo with Stunt Car Racer, plus the fact it's totally rubbish too and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the classic Crammond game! :lol:
Yes thanks for that I was trying to make that point in a clumsy way! Geoff Crammond is a much revered figure to me. The Stunt Car Extreme game seemed to be a bit of a nod to a much superior C64 classic! Rubbish is a bit harsh though...it wasn't that bad. Although that's the great thing about all being different... :lol:
Long live the C64!!

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:08 pm

chapperz wrote:
AmigaJay wrote:

Yes thanks for that I was trying to make that point in a clumsy way! Geoff Crammond is a much revered figure to me. The Stunt Car Extreme game seemed to be a bit of a nod to a much superior C64 classic! Rubbish is a bit harsh though...it wasn't that bad. Although that's the great thing about all being different... :lol:
I thought it was pretty dreadful tbh! The graphics were glitchy, awful collision detection, no sense of real speed, Sfx are rubbish, and the controls arent the best, plus apart from being a rubbish Tapwave Zodiac game to start with this port was never gonna improve that much!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:58 am

Sorry it's taken a bit longer than I thought, but here's that Gizmondo book that Antiriad sent me:
http://www.mediafire.com/?va4qz2axiijit1v

It was slightly too big for my scanner, so some selective cropping had to be done. Luckily enough, because it's an up-its-own-arse "modern" thing, there's lots of white space. Be warned though, you might get angry reading it - never seen anything being so smug about itself!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Many thanks for scanning and posting it here, TwoHeadedBoy. :D

Not read it yet but will definitely do so soon.

Thanks for the 'warning'!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac